Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

22 posts, read 95,039 times

Advertisements

Jan, you know that you and Dash are always in my thoughts and prayers. What's the status of the swelling? Has the swelling gone down after the car horn sneezes? Has he been pacing and panting again? Hopefully being able to sleep helped him out. Emmitt has had several nights with no sleep. He doesn't pant or pace, he just gets so stuffed up that he can't sleep. Since I started being more aggressive with the Neoplasene, he seems to have lost some of the stuffiness. When he sneezes he gets very little (if anything) out. I recently started sqirting saline up both nostrils just before he goes outside for a romp. That usually elicits several good sneezes and loosens up the congestion so he can get some of the snot out. He has been sleeping like a log once all that's over with.

Just FYI...my wife, call her crazy, was wondering why Emmitt reacted to the Neo like he does (immediately after dosing he starts literally foaming at the mouth, rubbing his nose on the floor, sneezing, snorting, etc). Well, she put a drop of the Neo on her tongue to see what it "tasted" like as well as what it felt like. She reports that it was like getting a handful of black pepper and sticking your tongue on it. She said it had a "spicy burn" to it. If you put it on your skin it feels like water. I never thought about the taste and I surely never thought about putting it on my tongue. I'm glad she did it. We may start giving him a bit of Pepto just before dosing. The things we do for our pets!

You and Dash hang in there! We are BOTH still working for that infamous T-shirt!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Dr. Scanlan told me she had a patient that tasted the neoplasene and he said it was not pleasant.

Dash's swelling does seem to be down abit so after a night of no neo we will dose tonight and contine at the increased frequency again to see if I can totally get rid of the swelling. He is more comfortable but snores as he is breathing through his mouth as he sleeps. Once again he clears up for awhile after a walk. He is sleeping much better since his last big honking sneeze of Wed. morning. The bleeding is about gone today too.

How often is Emmitt getting the neo now? Has it gotten any easier to get the neo down his nose?

As for Mearths article on smoking and cancer in animals while I agree that second hand smoke is as bad for our pets as it is for us. In the 10 years I have owned Dash he has not been around any smokers. Don't know about the first year of his life. It would be intereseting to see how many of the dogs with nasal cancer on this board were around smokers. I think the fact dogs spend so much time sniffing and often sniffing things that are irritating to the nasal mucosa plays a huge part in nasal cancer . I also believe that stress plays a huge part in alot of cancers.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 AM

12 posts, read 124,924 times
Hi Jan:

It's good to hear Dash's swelling is reduced somewhat. Hopefully, that swelling will stay down.

Well, it's a week today since we put Savannah to down. It's still so very hard. My heart aches and my test continues to tighten whenever I think of my girl.

I'll keep Dash and all the other dogs and owners suffering through this terrible disease in my thoughts and prayers.

It's true... "when their suffering ends, ours begins".

Sharon

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM

129 posts, read 491,407 times
Hi everyone,

I'm glad to hear that Dash is responding to the Neoplasene and did another crazy sneeze-out. I hope things continue to improve. It seems like this disease is full of ups and downs.

Scout is on an upswing right now. I weaned him off the pred with every intention of starting him on antibiotics again to control the reverse sneezing/bleeding we were seeing, but now we're not seeing any bleeding or sneezing. Of course, the $50 worth of Clindamycin came in the mail, but we'll hang on to it for a later date. If I never need it, I surely won't feel bad about the $50! We've been giving him the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil mixture that Bear's Dad has mentioned, and he thinks it's quite yummy. Not sure what made his symptoms go away, but I'll take it.

I wanted to mention something else we've been doing for months that seems to work pretty well. I've seen on various photos the scaly dryness on different dog's noses. I'm not sure if all dogs with nasal cancer deal with this, but it seems pretty common. Anyway, Scout's right side is definitely drier and scalier than the left, but we put vitamin E on it twice daily and it really seems to help. I buy the vitamin E pills and pop a whole in them, squeeze a little on, and then save until the next time. Perhaps it woudn't work if your dog is further along, but it might help.

I also wanted to report that Scout has never been around cigarette smoke. Based on where he was raised (foothills of the Rocky Mountains), I see very few environmental factors that could have affected him (and not me, which is scary, too). I had surmised that genetics was his biggest issue, but there seem to be a lot of mixed breed dogs impacted. Who knows...it just sucks.

Thinking of you all and hoping you have a nice weekend.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 36,563 times
Just catching up on posts. Sounds like Dash is not going to give up this fight anytime soon Jan, that is sure good news, and the CT scan on Emitt is very encouraging. I haven't been doing the nose drops although I wish I was able to. I would literally have to tie Clancey down or sedate him to get them in his nose. If he wasn't so darn big all of this would sure be a lot easier. I have finally gotten him to where he will let me wipe off his nose with a tissue without a fuss so that is some progress. I would like to get another CT scan done on Clancey to see what the status of the tumor is now but finances are preventing that for the time being. We are continuing with the oral neo and 2-Mor-Saver and going back and forth with antibiotics trying to find something that will work for him. We are using Cipro right now but it's too soon to tell if it's working. So far keeping infections at bay has been our biggest battle.

All of you are in my thoughts.

Carol and Clancey

Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
Default dry nose and cigarettes

tillie's nose is dry, too, mostly because she is constantly licking the drippings off of it. we rub olive oil on it which she seems to like very much. except that she likes it so much she licks it. which makes her nose dry. which makes us want to rub olive oil on it. "if you give a mouse a cookie"...anyone know that kid's book?

and tillie has never been around smokers. she does, however, live in los angeles where the air is not so good.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 PM

Decided to give an update of Dash . The swelling has gone way down since last Wed. when he sneezed out a ton of tissue. He has been unable to breath through his nose until tonight but it is very very noisey. Yesterday he had a nose bleed that was pretty heavy at times and lasted most of the day but today has been dry. I will let him enjoy tonight then we will start another round of frequent neoplasene . This certainly has been a roller coaster ride! He thanks everyone for their prayers as they seemed to have helped.

Dash's nose was getting dry too so I took the Emu oil stick that my cousin's wife made for Henry when the lupus lesion was eating his nose. It seems to help Dash alot.They use to have Emu's and she made all sorts of oils and lotions, soaps but I do not think she is doing it anymore as they are moving from Washington to Virginia so the Emus' have all been sold.

Dash is sleeping alot more these days but eating well and enjoying his walks.

I am glad to see that everyone else is hanging in there too. You all remain in my prayers. Thanks for all the support when I needed it. I just wish we had all met at an obedience class or agility event or some other fun dog event instead of on a thread about nasal cancer.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 36,563 times
Default Clancey Has His Wings

After a really bad weekend, Gary and I made the decision yesterday to put an end to Clancey's pain. He was losing weight rapidly, was dehydrated and having problems getting around. Sunday night, he would not lay down but kept standing and falling over, standing and falling over all night long. There was no food that interested him any longer and I had no way to give him antibiotics or pain meds without shoving them down his throat. Yesterday morning, he looked at me and I could tell he was ready to move on. He went very peacefully, did not even move when they put the IV in his leg. He was laying in my lap the entire time and Gary was petting him. Clancey will always live on in our hearts.

Carol and Angel Clancey

Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Dear Carol,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, it does sound like he was ready to go and you made the right decision. It always seems so peaceful for them in the end, but it hurts us so much. Bless you, Clancy...

W.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Carol,

So very sorry to hear about Clancy. I know he was a very special dog to you. It does indeed sound like it was time and I hope knowing that makes it a bit less painful for you. I know when my mom died after her long battle with cancer there was a sense of relief for all of us knowing she would have to suffer no more. I hope you and Gary feel some of that relief too. Knowing the pain and suffering are all over does seem to help lessen the hurt .

You and Gary came into Clancy's life at a time he really needed loving people to be there for him. Those photos of when you first got him still haunt me. I hope you can find alot of comfort in knowing that because of the two of you he died feeling very loved. His time with you was no doubt the best time of his life because he was loved so much. I know he left paw prints deep within your heart where they will never disappear..

Please know I am thinking of you and Gary and sending lots of prayers your way to help heal that huge hole in your heart. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs