Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

Advertisements

Woofers, How is your friend doing? She had one tough old dog that is for sure.

Dash is another tough old dog and I decided after the day we had today to give an update. He started off his day with a visit to his regular vet for blood tests that then get faxed to his oncologist where he then decides if we continue the metronomic therapy.

Dash tried his hardest to hide from the vet, first doing the head under the chair in the waiting room with his big butt sticking out then he remembered that he tried that with the oncologist last month and that darn old doctor found him ...HUMMM I know I will get BEHIND the chair so be between the chair and wall and that crazy doctor will never find me. Well a 16 yr old dog found him there so needless to say the vet did too Oh well he did try.

After the vets he got to go play with his Thursday play group at the park. He was feeling very frisky. Tried to hump his pal Joey and one of the old girls, Paris and tried to get Paris to play chase with him but she does not really know how to play so he chased Cowboy and Fig the two younger dogs around for awhile. Then a new puppy, Patsy showed up. She is a 4 month old Black mouth cur. Beautiful face on that pup. Dash took to her and tried playing with her for awhile ( usually he avoids puppies!) So all in all he was feeling pretty good. Doing alot of violent sneezing which he has been doing for several days now . Everyone was concerned but I told them I think there is a piece of tissue working its way out as even the sound of his snorkley noises has been different.

Maybe an hour after we got home he started in with a violent sneezing fit and sure enough the end result was the biggest chunk of tissue he has sneezed out yet. It did create a bleed which then had him in a fit of reverse sneezing but when he finally calmed down his breathing was so much better. There has been a slow trickle of blood since but that is sort of what happens when a piece of tissue pulls away from the inside of your nose.

To those of you using the neoplasene I just want to point out that I do not stick to a set schedule yet I seem to get good results so don't feel if the vet says every other day you have to do it every other day, Learn to trust your gut. I had been doing it every 4th day since we started back on it last month after almost a month off.He had 3 doses done that way then I have been putting it off so have been now almost 7 days without it. I have just had this gut feeling saying not today for several days. Now I will give him a few days to heal and maybe try a once a week rountine. His quality of life is the most important so I want him to have more fun days at the park so I always take that into consideration when I give him the neoplasene or even the metronomic therapy, the hoxsey,power mushrooms and renatropin.

Poor Jazz was very stressed by this afternoons event. She gets the most concerned look on her face and follows him when he sneezes cleaning up anything he sneezes out so I had to tell her down so she did not get to the chunk of tissue before I did. Then she of course wanted to see what I had picked up and when I showed her she just sort of gave me this worried look of hers. She is such a good sister to Dash.

Anyway that is how our day went. I hope everyone else is having alot of good times despite the cancer and any treatment being given. Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 AM

106 posts, read 440,307 times
Unhappy Coco

1996-2009 R.I.P. My friend, my companion, civil servant to the U.S., and confidante, lover of all things with the name of Cool Whip. You will be missed so very much.

To everyone here, thank you so much for all your posts, your stories, your advice. There's just not much more I can say right now. We took Coco in to the vet yesterday afternoon to ease his suffering, ours has now begun.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 168,387 times
Hi dogmomof11,
I am so sorry to hear about Coco...My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Sincerely,
Trevi

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 36,557 times
I am so sorry for your loss, you and Coco will be in my thoughts today.

Carol

Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof11 View Post

1996-2009 R.I.P. My friend, my companion, civil servant to the U.S., and confidante, lover of all things with the name of Cool Whip. You will be missed so very much.
Dogmomof11,

What a wonderful, beautiful dog. Thank you for sharing her with us. Sending warm tender thoughts during this difficult time.... W.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
dogmomof11,

You have my deepest sympathies in the loss of Coco. Coco sounded like a great dog. I hope you know you did all you could for Coco and aren't being haunted by the " what if's ". When cancer gets to the advanced stages there is really not much we can do but try to keep them comfortable. When that becomes impossible we have one last gift of love to give them and that is to say good bye and give them a peaceful painless ending. Please know you and Coco are in my thoughts and prayers today. May the love he has given you also heal your heart and dry the tears in fond memories of a great dog. He will live on forever in your heart. Jan

Old 02-15-2009, 05:01 AM

106 posts, read 440,307 times
Thanks all for the kind replies.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM

59 posts, read 325,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually colie/shelties & border collie breeds can get sun burned on light noses. & develope nose cancer. But I was wondering If your dog ever had the Kennel Cough spray vacc?
It is absolutely not true that the intranasal bordetella vaccine causes cancer (if this is what you are insinuating.) I work at a vet's office and am also a radiation therapist (for humans) and I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is heartwrenching to see our best friends go through this. Of course we can not draw any conclusions without first having the biopsy results. Biopsy results can help with a prognosis. The most important thing is keeping your friend comfortable and monitoring quality of life.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM

15 posts, read 90,224 times
Default Coco in Rest..

Good Bye Coco...

You've have just finished one special life in this imperfect world.
I believe you are now in the Rest in the perfect world.

Woof, your Beagle shall be in perfect shape in the another world also.

I believe they deserve.

Let's keep on fighting, my friends, so we would never be defeated by the sorrow and despair though we have to face the time to let our beloved ones go someday.

Bear is doing very good and we enjoy the last chapter of Bear's life.

Chol.
Attached Thumbnails
Nasal cancer-img_1700_2.jpg  

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 AM

129 posts, read 491,350 times
I'm so sorry to hear about Coco. What a special dog. You were sure lucky to know him!

Scout is also doing pretty well. We're giving prednisone a shot to see if it helps with some of the bloody drippings (which it doesn't seem to be doing). I've been easing him up to the prescribed dose because I was hoping not to have to give him so much, but I'm not seeing any improvement. What I am seeing, however, is a return to the pre-antibiotic sneeziness. So, I think we're headed off of prednisone (yippee!) and back onto an antibiotic, possibly forever. My vet mentioned she has other dogs that need the same. Unfortunatley, the one we use is pretty costly. I'm going to give the pred a few more days and then call the vet (again) with a report. It never ends! On the up side, we had a most beautiful hike in the White Mountains this weekend.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs