Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times

Advertisements

Amy,

You have my deepest sympathy. I know how very hard it was to say goodbye to Nickleby but it sounds like you did the right thing. The decision to put a beloved dog down is never easy but in the face of pain it is the last gift of love we can give them. I was so hoping that the bump getting smaller was a good thing so was shocked to see your post when I checked the thread tonight. I really hate the fact that such a young dog got nasal cancer. My heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself and know that you did all you could for him. If you ever need someone to just listen as you go through the grief process you know where to find me. God bless you, Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

33 posts, read 208,145 times
Default I am so sorry

Dear Amy,

Not a day goes by that I don't think about all the dogs on this board and the people who love them. I also came to feel that I knew Nick in some way, and I share your loss. Everyone here understands the pain you are experiencing. You absolutely did everything you could for Nick and it sounds as though he had a great life. Now the hard part is figuring out how to live without him.

I am so so sorry for your loss.

Tracey

Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM

25 posts, read 169,951 times
Thank you to everyone for your kind words. It was so hard to let Nickleby go, but we know it was the right choice. We promised ourselves and Nick when he was diagnosed that we would not let him suffer. The tumor had grown in such a way that Nick would never be without pain again without massive drugs -- and that's no way to live. It was shocking how quickly the tumor grew in just 6 days.

We are happy that Nick was able to be active and happy until the last couple of days of his life. He even wagged his tail as he went into the vet's office (heartbreaking, but at least he wasn't afraid), and tried a half-hearted attempt to pick up his favorite stuffed duck toy we brought along. But he couldn't do it. He was in pain.

We have another dog, an almost 15-year-old cocker/terrier mix who is sweet as can be. She's been neglected a lot lately because of Nick's illness. So, now it's her time to be pampered and be the princess of the house. But it's so quiet around the house now. We called Nick "The Sheriff" because he ran the household. He kept the cats in line and kept watch over everything. There wasn't a door opened or a knock heard that didn't have his full attention and scrutiny. He announced the arrival of the mail each day with a full 5 minutes of happy barking.

The mail arrived in silence today. And we're having another winter storm here. As I look out into the back yard, all of Nick's footprints are being covered with a fresh blanket of snow. It's both beautiful and sad.

Thanks again to everyone. Here's a picture of Nick from last year, before he got sick:

Old 01-17-2009, 01:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Wow.... that post really brought tears to my eyes. I know that 'silence' all too well.... rest in peace dear Nick. Your family misses you so much...

Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM

129 posts, read 491,248 times
Amy,
He is a beautiful boy who's spirit will live on in your heart. I'm so sorry for your loss and hope I can be as strong as you when Scout's time comes.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 36,552 times
Amy, I am so sorry to read about Nickleby. It has been several days since I have checked this list and I am absolutely shocked at how quickly the tumor progressed in such a short time. I see Nick healthy, whole and playing with the others who are waiting for us at the rainbow bridge. God speed handsome Nick and thank you Amy for your support of the others of us on this list who are on this journey with their beloved pets.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
Amy, you are in my prayers. I just cried when I read your post, but thanks so much for sharing.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Dash indeed has another nasal infection and is back on antibiotics. I wanted to share something with all of you that Emmitt's Dad, Bill shared with me and that is using Robitussen DM when they get all stuffed up. When I asked one of the vets about it the reply I got was well it is OK to give it but it is for cough and CHEST congestion so I doubt if it will do anything but go ahead and give it a try if you want. I have been giving it at night and all I can say is the Guailfensin( expectorant) does not seem to care where the mucus is as the very infectious snot has been flowing out. He does not even have to sneeze it out as it flows out on its own . During the day there is alot less coming out but once I give him the dose it starts right up within an hour or so and continues all night. So much better then the last infection when he got so stuffed up he could not sleep. We tried decongestants from the vet before and they did nothing so I am so happy to finally find something that brings some relief. Just stay away from medicines with acetaminophen in them as that is toxic to a dog.

This is a great example of where getting to know other people dealing with the same issue really pays off, Thanks Bill!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dash indeed has another nasal infection
I'm glad it was just an infection. I hope he feels better soon.

W.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM

129 posts, read 491,248 times
Scout went in for a check up with his oncologist yesterday--his first one since he completed radiation back in May (other than the post-rad check ups). He'd been having some bleeding from his bad nostril, which had me worried. The oncologist put him on clindamycin on Sunday, and it cleared up almost immediately. She thought he looked great and everything was clear. We still haven't done the CT scan, so we can't know for sure, but it was good to have a clean check up. She recommends that he stay on the clindamycin for 3 weeks and then we'll reevaluate if we see more discharge. She said that she's had some dogs who need to stay on some form of antibiotic pretty much constantly--perhaps Dash may be one? She's hesitant to use prednisone or peroxicam until needed, which I agree with. He does have a cataract and most likely can't see at all out of the eye, but it doesn't bother him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs