Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 PM

46 posts, read 101,865 times

Advertisements

Food:
A soft diet was recommended due to lysis of the hard palate. After research I picked Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm (a grain free base mix of dehydrated vegetables with vitamins and minerals). This was a low carb, low glycemic diet I selected since sugars feed cancer. The mix is rehydrated with hot water and I added my choice of protein (raw or cooked) and healthy fat (organic olive oil or organic coconut oil). For protein I used lean ground turkey made into meatballs and cooked low in the crock pot slow cooker. I also added boiled eggs several times a week. He loved this until the last 6 weeks or so. Once we were doing supportive hospice care he got anything he would eat—turkey lunch meat, hot dogs, raw green beans, carrot strips, scrambled eggs, McDonald’s cheeseburgers, animal crackers, peanut butter crackers—seriously—anything.

I gave his medications is small bites of organic cream cheese. Slow cooked steak strips or cheese was used as treats.

As the cancer progressed, Ozzie’s hard pallet remained intact, but his sense of smell was gone so he didn’t want to eat well. Warming food a bit can help, but Ozzie decided he loved cold from the refrigerator scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil. Getting a few bites of smelly food into him, seemed to stimulate his appetite to eat. I sometimes had to rub baby food on his gums and then he would eat.

Prescribed medications:
Piroxicam — an NSAID given for cancer fighting properties. Once daily.
Prilosec — 1/2 pill 2x daily given to protect stomach from the Piroxicam.
Yunnan Baiyao — a Chinese medicinal remedy that can stop or slow down bleeding. If you are dealing with a bleeding cancer research this; it helps! One capsule daily. During bad bleeding times it can be given more often.
I’m-Yunity — a mushroom supplement recommended by the oncologist when I told her I was interested holistic treatment as well.
Cyclosporine eye drops — to treat dry eye which my dog had before radiation. He did not live long enough to see signs of cataracts. Dosage and strength varied throughout treatment.
Genteals dry eye drops and gel — used to protect eyes and lubricate.
Clavamox antibiotic — took continuously last 2 months of life.
Various eye medications to treat ulcer and to help when eye ruptured.
Gabapentin — pain medication given after radiation while nose Bridge had sores. Leftover medication from that prescription was given last week of life for comfort.
MiraTaz — appetite stimulant rubbing into the ear (typically used for cats).

Supplements:
We did research and found a variety of immune boosters and mushroom supplements recommended for canine cancers.
CBD oil: has both cancer fighting properties and pain relief. Gave as liquid drops on a treat 2 or 3 times a day.
Pet Wellbeing Life Gold: liquid supplement to stimulate immune system
Pet Wellbeing Mushroom Immune Gold: liquid supplement to boost immune system
Powdered mushrooms: we got human grade powders and mixed a blend given daily. Consisted of Chaga, Reshi, Cordyceps, Maitake, and Lion’s Mane. I remember the Lion’s Mane could reduce bleeding so the amount given on this varied at times. I would add a bit of water to the powdered blend and stir it into a little canned food or a crumbled meatball.
Turkey tail mushrooms: capsule sprinkled over food (the I’m Yunity contains turkey tail also)
Shiitake mushrooms: capsule sprinkled over food.
Phytoplankton: green powder that helped other supplements work more efficiently.
Probiotic capsule: helpful when taking antibiotics.

Tips for dealing with a bleeding cancer:
Floor protection: I used waterproof baby changing pads or flat waterproof crib sheet. These had a soft cover but a plastic inside. They laundered well. And could be bleached
Several packages of white wash cloths or soft microfiber towels. You will need to clean your dog’s face. And the floor. I kept two sets. One for the floors and one for the face. I washed them separately since my dog had eye issues.
Gonzo stain remover: this was the best thing I found to get blood out of the carpets.

Dealing with this horrid cancer was brutal for both Ozzie and me. I prayed multiple times daily for strength to do what Ozzie needed from me. I saw this disease steal the health, strength and vitality from my agility Partner; my friend; my heart. But it NEVER took his diehard spirit. Ozzie seemed to have an aggressive form of the cancer. His last week I knew it was his time—before any of the vets told me. I looked at the medications and realized I would not want to live this way. It let making my decision clearer. Ozzie came to me at 10’weeks old. My goal was to get him to his 10 th birthday. We did not get that. Ozzie was picked because he had the cutest heart shaped nose as a puppy. It made him special. And he died from cancer in his nose that destroyed his face. Through all this, he remained beautiful in my eyes. We fought until we could fight no more. Rest In Peace precious Ozzie (2010-2020)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:43 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I'm so sorry about your Ozzie. It sounds like he fought the good fight along with your loving help. That love oozed from your beautiful post. Fly high Ozzie..to your rest. I know flights of angels guided the way for you.

Ozzie's owner, be kind to yourself. Your devotion to Ozzie was heartfelt and you went way beyond what many would have done. It's clear that's the kind of dog owner you are...I'm the same...as many others here are including the OP of this thread.

Thanks for sharing this info with us here...it may one day really help another dog owner and his/her pet facing this same thing.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Scottiedog So sorry to be reading about Ozzie. It sounds like you did the best you could for him and that is all any of us can do. Making that decision to let them go is very hard but it is also the best thing to do for them as quality of life should be put first. I am glad my starting this post all those years ago has been some help for you and I know your story will help others dealing with nasal cancer.

I know Ozzie will live on in your memories and as I have told many others you may find when you tell a tale of him he will be right there beside you for a few moments. Hopefully one day those moments will put a smile on your face. Be kind to yourself and do not waste time second guessing your decision as that can be such a painful cancer then to have a ruptured eye with it would no doubt double the pain so I am certain he is thanking you for taking the pain away even at the cost of your own broken heart. Bless you.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Dear ZSP and Dashdog,
Thank you for your kind words. It is odd this thread was started before Ozzie was born. Ozzie did fight a good fight. The enemy could not be tamed. Letting go was so hard, but I had told each vet treating Ozzie to be honest and let me know when his quality of life was diminishing. I had excellent vets. There were a couple times I felt it was nearing time, but was told “not yet”. My vet of 25 years assured me it was the right time. I miss Ozzie so much. My two other Scotties miss him too. I do know, I will never have a McDonald’s meal without a smile remembering Ozzie drooling for his cheeseburger and fries.

I hate cancer. We have to find a cure. So much pain and loss. All my dogs have died from cancer or cancer complications. (Liver cancer in my first at 14 1/2—discovered 36 hours before we let him go, kidney failure from piroxicam poisoning to treat suspected bladder cancer, bladder cancer in my forever foster—she came to me with the cancer, and histoocytic sarcoma. Then adenocarcinoma of the sinus. All Scottish Terriers.) I don’t use herbicides or pesticides on the yard. I clean with vinegar and baking soda. They get good food. Ozzie had the strongest heart and was an athlete. I ran titers for Ozzie so he wasn’t over vaccinated. It just seems so unfair. I love them all so much. And it is still love. They my not be at my side, but forever in my heart.

If anything I wrote can help another pet parent, I will be grateful. And I am grateful for all who have posted their journeys. Thank you all.

—Sandra (Ozzie’s mom)

Old 06-28-2020, 01:53 PM
ZSP

DashDog, when I posted above, I sincerely meant to rep you for your devotion to Dash and all you did for him as you both fought the nasal cancer. I'd followed your story with Dash from day ONE and reading about all the research, protocols...your devotion and care for him is inspiring to others fighting the same battle. Or a different battle.

I'm so glad Sandra, Ozzie's Mom, found your thread. I know she felt support and compassion from it as she and Ozzie battled nasal cancer.

I wish peace for Dash and Ozzie...and you two too. You both did everything you could for your pups.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
So, I’m new to this forum. I have five rescue pups. My very first, my soul puppy was diagnosed with nasal chondrosarcoma just after Christmas, a couple of weeks before the COVID lockdown in my state. I learned that if I opted not to do radiation, he would decline rapidly and die within a 3 month time period. My heart and brain just screamed NO. I took out a loan, did a full course of radiation (30 sessions), during which time I switched him to Dr. Harvey’s Paradigm with EVOO (he is allergic to coconut oil and poultry. He also has pancreatitis so no fatty foods). I began with CBD, medicinal mushrooms, started on a medical alternative protocol, Benadryl and prednilisone. The alternative treatment required increasing dosages that at one point caused me to believe that I was going to lose my baby THAT NIGHT. The levels were so high that it was absolutely toxic. I could smell it coming from his skin. I sobbed, held him all night, REVERSED course RAPIDLY. Reduced to just CBD in the am with Benadryl and one drop of the least potent alternative at night to sleep. Then I researched like CRAZY. There is a Tagamet/Benadryl protocol that has worked exceptionally well for some. Not typically chondrosarcoma, but it isn’t harmful and it couldn’t hurt to try. Fast forward to 6 months post radiation —his CT scan in Sept. was great! Gone from both sinus cavities, regression from the right nasal passage, and reduction in the left. No involvement of cribiform or eyes. He previously was PERILOUSLY close to progression toward the brain. I was SO SO HAPPY! Midway through treatment, he was losing WAY too much weight because of his inability to eat fatty foods or ANYTHING poultry. I upped his fish intake and began feeding complex carbs -steel cut oats, sprouted brown rice. Regular brown rice in a pinch. The supplement of this helped him —he was so hungry that he began trying to eat poop. Adding back a small amount of complex carbs helped. What good is the “cure” if my baby is slowly starving. Now it is October. Two days ago, he was outside sniffing leaves. He started sneezing. And then the back sneeze. I felt a SINKING sense of dread. He panicked immediately and I “fixed” him (two Benadryl with a treat). He calmed down, but there was slight bloody discharge. Today he was playing with his fur siblings. Suddenly he had a mild back sneezing episode and this time, there was blood. Not a lot, not steady, nothing like before. But bright red. And this time it is from his RIGHT nostril. That was the side that cleared the tumor. I am FREAKING OUT. So, I was just about to add in the Panacur protocol when his CT came back so great, so I held off. I also only do the Tagamet/Benadryl twice daily typically (it is supposed to be 3). I am DEFINITELY going up to 3, and if his symptoms worsen, I will start the Panacur protocol ASAP and talk to his oncologist about palliative radiation. I cannot afford another loan, but I spent so much money treating him that I am SURE his oncologist will work with me. For me, there was no other option. None. As long as he is happy, hungry, and snuggly, I will do ANYTHING to give him (and let’s face it, ME) more time. I 100% FULLY WHOLEHEARTEDLY ENDORSE radiation. The side effects are not NEARLY what you might fear. They have to give you worst case scenario. I know one thing, if I had NOT done radiation, my Bubs would have died by the beginning of April at the latest. Probably sooner. PLEASE don’t discount the effectiveness of traditional radiation treatment. It is the gold standard for nasal chondrosarcoma. And I would ask for prayers —as many as we can get. I’m (irrationally) hoping that maybe one of the other dogs accidentally caught the right side of his nose while they were playing. That’s why blood. But rationally, I know that’s not the issue. So any prayers are greatly appreciated. ♥️

Old 10-06-2020, 12:45 PM
ZSP

I'm praying for your pup, your love for him is clear and you've gone the extra mile for him and his well being. I wish you peace as you face these hard days.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Dear Bub’s mom,
I have said a prayer for dear Bub and asked for strength for you. I am Ozzie’s mom and we walked this journey. Quality of life is the key. You are doing your best to keep him happy. We are here for support.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I haven't read the thread except for the last few pages but I had a beautiful 14 yr old Pomeranian die of nasal cancer quite a few years ago. I know how he got it too. I was living in an apartment and they came around to spray for bugs. I begged them to not spray the poisons in my apartment but they said they had to do every apartment in the building.

And so, of course, they sprayed the baseboards, just the height at which the animal would sniff. I was there literally begging them not to spray but they ignored me and went ahead. Maybe six months later he had nasal cancer and we just used steroids for a while but it was hopeless. He had good food with no preservatives or other junk added, lots of beautiful walks by the sea and in the forest, but when he got the nasal cancer it was all over. It's a devastating thing to go through but in the end, you think of the poor dog and not yourself. I guess that's the same for everyone here, you try to do what's best for the dog but in the meantime, your heart is breaking.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,618 times
Hello!

I am new to the forum. Our 15 year old mixed breed was diagnosed with nasal cancer back in July. Due to his age and other complications, we opted not to treat him beyond piroxicam. He has done well these past four months (many of his complaints are more age-related than directly related to the cancer). However, he had a bad nosebleed early in the week - only the second one since the one he had in the summer that prompted us to take him to the vet, and which led to his diagnosis. He continued to have bloody discharge drip from his nose for several days, but it finally stopped as of today. And then this evening he sneezed (as he does every day, of course), slammed his head on the floor, and it started again. He is short-legged, and almost every time he sneezes, he slams his muzzle into the floor. Hard. Unfortunately tonight, it was a tile floor. So, he keeps reinjuring his nose. I am terrified he will break it due to the bone loss he already has. I realize nosebleeds are part of the process, but I can't help thinking that the slamming isn't helping. It is also painful, I imagine. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there anything I can do to protect his muzzle? Most of our flooring is hard, so short of keeping him crated all day(unfair to him), I can't keep him on soft surfaces. I guess I am wondering if there is any sort of cushioned collar or cone-type thing that could help, or anything that may have worked for someone else. I did order some Yunnan baiyao to hopefully help with the bleeding, but it won't be here for a week or so, and it won't help him injuring his nose. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs