Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 25,679 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year to all. An update on Merlin, our almost 11 year old Samoyed. He appears to be continuing to do well since his palliation radiation for nasal cancer in March 2010. His energy level is much higher with the cold weather (Being a Samoyed, he is about the only one that likes the near 0 temps). He had some trouble breathing through his nose several weeks ago, and I was getting a bit worried. But I resumed the Cephalexin (Fish Flex) capsules and everything quickly cleared up. He continues on Piroxicam daily. I don't know what 2011 will bring, but I feel incredibly fortunate he has done so well. He is now just over a year out from his initial symptoms (nose bleed) and 10 months out from his radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
tds1, I am so glad to hear that Merlin is doing well 10 months post treatment,may he have many many such months ahead of him!

One of the things that really bugged me when I was dealing with Dash were the people that would come on here and say " how could you do that to your dog?" referring to his palliative IMRT. They seemed so unable to believe that because of it he was living a life of good quality and it gave us many excellent good quality months together so I felt how could I not do that for him? He did not suffer because of it like some seemed to believe. Many of the dogs that have received treatment especially some form of radiation have been like him and enjoyed the time they had left because they were able to breath easier. It makes me so happy to see others post about the good qaulity of life their dogs are enjoying too

abs985, I will be sending tons of postive thoughts your way tomorrow. Hope all goes well!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,315 times
Well, the vet called today with Cody's blood results. His liver enzyme level is high so now they're doing an ultrasound prior to the CT scan/scope just to make sure there are no liver tumors. He said that it's not unusual for an older dog to have higher levels, but just they want to make sure he doesn't have liver cancer before they put him thru anesthesia for the nasal tests. Oye!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned today. They first did the ultrasound of the liver area. I'm not 100% on this...but from what I gathered, his gall bladder and intestines are inflamed and thickened. There are also enlarged lymph nodes, which means there's a possibility that this he has lymphoma. Due to this new info...we put off having the nasal tests done today. My family is going to have a conference call with my vet tomorrow to re-group and just lay out a strategy of what should be done. We did send out lab work in order to find out if the nose issues are fungal related.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Sorry to hear what is going on. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,638 times
My dog Nick was diagnosed in March 2010 with nascal cancer. Not sure what kind. He was given 3 months. I choose not to do radiation treatment as I did not like the side effects. I immediately did my internet research and found a cancer diet, immune supplements, K-9 immunity and the Budwig diet. Nick is a rescue dog. I have had him for 4 years. He is a Brittany. Nick had reverse sneezing when he came to me. He started with a small amount of mucus and blood tinted in October 2009. I took him to the vet in March 2010 when the mucus increased. As of this posting he is doing well. Since October 2010 he has developed the swelling under his eye. It increases in size and then decreases. He is still eating, playing, doing quality of life things. I know, however, the time will come when I have to make that decision to let him go. I pray that God will give me the strength.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM

CT scan tomorrow! (For real this time lol)

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Luvforbrits, Glad to hear that Nick is doing well. Alot can be said for diet in slowing cancer. Dash's swelling when he developed it also went up and down for a while then it took off and got large very fast.

Having just lost my other older dog Jazz to a zygomatic gland tumor that pushed her eye out a bit and seeing you saying Nicks swelling is near his eye keep a close watch on the eye and perhaps use some lubricating eye drops in it as if it starts to become displaced it may develop a painful ulcer like Jazz did.

God will give you the strength when it is time to say good bye and if pain is involved at that time you may actaully be surprised as you may feel relief. It is very hard to even think our beloved dogs may be in pain but we do hold the key to releasing them from it and that can be a real test of our friendship but also the last act of kindness we can give them. I pray you and Nick get alot more quality time together.

abs985 good luck on the CT tomorrow hope all goes well.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,638 times
Dashdog, I have read all of the posts on this site from page 1. After reading someone's post about maybe having a continuous sinus headache, I got to thinking about that. When I get a sinus headache, I am not a happy camper. I called the vet and spoke to her on Monday and she put Nick on some pain medicine. Rimardyl (I hope I spelled it correctly). I have noticed that helps him to sleep at night. I give him 1/2 a tab in the morning and 1/2 before bedtime. When I got home from work on Wednesday night, he meet me at the door coughing. He sounded like he had croop. The dreaded kennel cough. We are now on antibiotics and a cough pill for that as well. When he has gotten sick with other things, I have thought is it time?, but I have always waited a few days to see if he will bounce back. I believe you are right in waiting a few days to see if things improve. So far he has bounced back. Let's hope and pray that he will bounce back from the kennel cough this time.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Dash was on piroxicam instead of rimadyl as it has anti angiogenic properties to it so helps stop the blood supply to a tumor. Not sure if Rimadyl does too since they are of the same drug class. The drugs are usually given for sore joints too so if he has any sore old joints you may notice he bounces and runs more too. Dash felt great on the piroxicam! Jazz was given Rimadyl for pain but it made her sick so I had to stop it and used tramadol instead.

Phoenix had Kennel cough over Christmas she is now over it and thank God Dazzle did not catch it. There are so many bugs that can cause it so hopefully Nick has one of the not so harsh ones. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Glad you are giving it some time as that whole cancer ride is an up and down thing with animals and humans ( a roller coaster!) and they tend to get lots other issues that usually pass in a few days. There were many times I thought Oh this is it and shared them here and in a day or two he would bounce backWill send some healing thoughts Nicks way as they always seemed to help Dash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs