Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,886 times

Advertisements

We lost our Roswell today. He was just struggling too much. He was valiant and proud right to the very end. It is about 14 months since this all started. He was 15 years and 2 months old. He had surgery for stomach cancer about 8 years ago. He also dealt with Addison's Disease. His quality of life only began to degrade over the passed 2 months. He still came tinwork with us everyday even yesterday. He had begun to separate from us though. He would do his best to hide. That wasn't him. He hadn't eaten in 2 days. He was drinking almost nothing. Last nite he slept under the bed. He wanted no part of being next to his mom. Usually you couldn't put a piece of tissue paper between them.
Poems like The Last Battle pretty much sum things up. Stories like The Rainbow Bridge give hope.
Roswell was my first pet he was in our home from when our children were 9 and 13. So he was here for most closely family oriented time. My heart is really aching. I have never cried like this. I am usually known for not showing much emotion. Not today.
Sorry for rambling but I just hurt too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Sorry to hear about Roswell. It sounds like he had a good long life.The loss does hurt but know they live on in your heart forever and while it can take awhile for those memories to bring smiles instead of tears that day will come. I have found that my heart heels the fastest when I am able to talk about it maybe that is because the stories our sweet pups leave behind are what keeps them alive.

Having lost two great dogs in a years time I can say while it hurt like you know what there was also some good in it as through this thread I have met some fantastic people I would not have met and even just seeing the kindness of strangers is quite amazing.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 14,886 times
Default Thank you!

Your compassion is really appreciated. I just didn't realize my bond with Roswell was that great. I guess that is a tribute to him. It's just that right now a million views of him flash through my mind. He was always there. There were days he was so stubborn and then there was always that precious lick just when you needed it. One would be great bright now. We really have to thank him for all he gave us. As my wife says his love was unconditional.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I do not wonder what DR. Scanlon gave me as I think the whole nasal drop protocol is because of her. I think she was one of the first to use it that way and that others have followed her protocol. The inflammation is not a side effect as it is the way that the neoplasene kills the cancer and most of the dogs I had heard about that were on it had the same stuffiness that Dash had. What you also need to keep in mind is that if it works and kills the cancer cells that slow is better then fast as theh dieing cells become toxins and the body must rid itself of them so an increase in nasal congestion is the way the body would rid itself of toxins in the nose. Best of luck to Buddy.
You do not wonder? Anyways, thank you. I am also hoping that the lack of noticeable reaction to the Neo is a good thing. He actually seems to be breathing a tiny bit easier the past day or so. I will try to update every so often here, so more Neo experience can be recorded. I am also keeping a detailed log of his treatment. Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 25,687 times
Merlin headed back to the CT scanner earlier this week. He is a year out from his palliative radiation, but the sneezing had increased over the last several weeks and we suspected the cancer had returned. It had been a bit over 5 months since his last follow-up scan. They did the CT scan without problems but we had to wait several days to hear from the oncologist. To our great surprise, it was the best possible news - no sign that the cancer was regrowing, and the increased sneezing could be chronic radiation effect or infection (which is why he has been on long term antibiotics). In the interim, the sneezing has returned to baseline. Yaay! So he seems to be doing well - he is truly the miracle dog. On an ironic note, my dog has now had 3 CT scans, the original diagnostic scan and 2 follow-up scans. That is triple the number I have ever had. Go figure!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Glad to hear some good news. When Dash sneezed alot I noticed some benadryl seemd to help.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 PM

26 posts, read 68,781 times
Default new here

I'm new here, and my boy Hardee, a Portuguese Water Dog, was diagnosed with nasal chondrosarcoma last Aug 2010. He was 5 years old then, and just this month turned 6.
I have been reading this forum for about a week now when I can (I'm up to page 66), trying to catch up to the current page of 154. I'm anxious to read on and find out the outcome of the dogs that I'm reading about now, like Dash. My heart goes out to you all and your pups, who are currently and formerly dealing with this horrible disease.
We did Cyberknife radiation back in Aug with Dr Proulx at CVS in Carlsbad, CA, even though we live in Las Vegas, NV. When we started having some more bleeds the beginning of Nov, we did another CT scan and found the radiation had not worked the way we hoped it would. We started chemo the middle of Nov with Dr Ogilvie at the same practice and still continue chemo today with him.
We have small nose bleeds but haven't had a bad bleed since last Nov., and feel very fortunate about that. Hardee's quality of life is great currrently, and he runs agility most weekends. We've had reactions to certain chemos that have put him in ICU (doxorubicin & epirubicin) and can no longer do those chemos and are doing other chemos now.
As are yours, he is our baby and our whole world. We are doing all that love can do and are hoping for a miracle. I started a blog about him last Aug. when I couldn't keep up with all the emails coming in about how he was doing. You can read about him at Kicking Cancer's Ass For Hardee
My best to you all. Jennie

Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 25,687 times
Not many posts recently which is good to see. Sadly, here is my final one. Merlin developed a dry cough over the last week. I didn't think too much of it, but it gradually become worse. He had less energy for his walks, and yesterday it was clear something was very wrong. Last night I came downstairs to find him standing up breathly shallowly. He paced the room, something he never does, and was unable to lie down. It was 10 PM on a Saturday night. I had no choice but to bring him to the Emergency Room at the University Hospital. They put him on Oxygen, IV antibiotics, and diagnosed him with pneumonia. He was admitted to the ICU overnight. This morning I received the call that their was nothing further they could do. I came in and said a difficult goodbye. It does not appear that it was directly related to the cancer, but he had been through a lot in the last year and a half. Other than last night, I can confidently say he had not suffered with any of the treatments that we gave him. When he we was finally suffering, we listened and helped the only way we could.

Best of luck to all.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear the news and hope you know you did all you could for him. Be thankful for that good 1 1/2 yrs you did get with him as I know I was so very thankful for that extra time with Dash. My prayers are with you as loosing a good friend is never easy.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 AM

60 posts, read 170,324 times
Rest in peace Merlin, Alot of pups in heaven are waiting for you and will keep you safe. So sorry for your loss, a dog teaches you more about yourself then some of the wisest people, you did all you could and he will be eternally greatful. xoxoxoxo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs