Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,560 times

Advertisements

So sorry to hear about Dakota. Your heart must be breaking but he is finally at peace and sounds like you did everthing you possibly could so you should feel good about that. He is lucky to have you as a dog mom. My prayers and thoughts are with you as I know this will be my fate as well. Hang in there.

I just joined this thread today so I have not been previously involved but I just found out this week my chihuahua has nasal cancer and it is heart breaking. Due to his age (14), I cannot do radiation, I am not sure if I want to do chemo due to the side effects and I am thinking about Neoplasene but will not get support from my VET as they are not holistic. Any assistance and advice is greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Dear Pete,

You can DM Dashdog. She has been using neoplasene and may be able to able. You can also go back through this thread to read old posts. My dog was 14.5 when she passed away. We think she has intestinal cancer. It was very difficult to watch her fade over the last year.... She was part chi-dog but weight 23 pounds...

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just want to update you on the situation with my friend's dog who has nasal cancer. I noticed over the last day or two that the dog looked very bloated around the abdomen. Yesterday she was lethargic and had very watery diarrhea. I said to my friend, "I think you need to take her into the vet. Something is not right."

She took the dog into her vet today. Her vet is very thorough, but my god, this stuff gets expensive. Anyhow, $800 later, we've learned that the dog has cancer in her bladder and liver. The vet said the nasal cancer has spread, however, my question is, "How do we know this isn't another cancer?" I mean, who has ever heard of nasal cancer spreading to the bladder and liver? Usually, it spreads into the lungs or the brain, causing seizures.

Anyhow friend is bringing the dog home tonight and she'll spend the day at the vet tomorrow, so the vet can monitor her. The vet also gave us some more medication for the dog. I'm not sure what kind yet. I'll have to check.

The vet said, "It's not too early to put the dog down now, but she could rally and last another 3 months."

My gut feeling is that the dog doesn't have much time. I would not be surprised if she crashes in the next week. That's usually what happens. Their little bodies compensate for so long, and then they just crash, and you know it's time to let go.

This dog has lived much longer than anyone every expected her to. She was initially diagnosed with nasal cancer in June 2007. A biopsy confirmed the diagnosis. She's been on prednisone for over 18 months.

I'm not bonded to this dog, so I'm not upset in the way I would be if it were my own dog. I just want to post in case the information here is useful to anyone else. But it is a dark day around here. Plus we just learned the local MSPCA animal shelter is closing its doors.

W.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 02-05-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Peteyk,

Sorry to hear about your dog will send some healing prayers your way. If it helps you any Chemo really is not effective on nasal cancer. The neoplasene "nose drops" have to come from a vet. I see Dr. Scanlan in person and she has to mix up a bottle for me when I need one. I would suggest talking to your vet and have your Vet call Dr. Scanlan and talk to her as I know that is what some others have done. She will tell your vet how to get it and mix it and use it. She is very busy and I think is only there Wed- Friday so it would probably be better to have your vet call as she would need to talk to him or her anyway. Hope this helps . Jan

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
Default grief counseling for trevi?

my condolences for dakota's passing. a year ago a friend of mine had someone come to her home to put her dog down. included in this service was an hour of counseling with a professional animal grief counselor. my friend was skeptical but was so distraught, as we all can imagine and some have experienced, that she decided to take advantage of this hour. she found it incredibly helpful in overcoming the enormous sadness and beginning to heal. my sister is also an animal grief counselor outside of denver so i have heard stories of helping families go through this horrible time. perhaps there is someone in your area who you can speak to about this. just being able to sob and speak openly to someone who understands, other than your family members who are also mourning, might be helpful. good luck.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

129 posts, read 491,407 times
I'm so sorry to hear about Dakota. I was hoping it could be something other than the dreaded nasal cancer. Throughout this process I feel that I have been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable, but I guess that's simply not possible. I hope you find solace knowing that your dog is free of pain and discomfort now and that you did all was possible for him.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 AM

31 posts, read 168,406 times
My sincere thank you to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and condolences. It has been a very difficult past few days. We picked up Dakota's ashes yesterday and we are trying our best to pull together as a family to get through this. On our way to pick up his ashes, my husband and I could not get over how amazing the sky looked. It has been overcast and cloudy here and there was a break in the clouds. The sun rays that were bursting through were just illuminating the hillside during our entire drive. It was incredible. My husband and I kept staring at it and he turned to me and said "That's Dakota". My peace and prayers to everyone going through difficult times.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Just to update. I'd been posting here for a while about my friend's beagle who has had nasal cancer for 18 months. She was diagnosed in June 2007 with biopsy and MRI. The dog has taken a turn for the worse in the last week. It now has cancer in it's liver and bladder.

We've decided to say our goodbyes today and this evening and take the dog into a trusted vet tomorrow to be euthanized. I've encouraged my friend to do this. The dog did not eat breakfast this morning and she is basically waiting for the end. We both feel it is much safer and easier to plan an appointment with the vet than to wait until the dog 'crashes' at two in the morning.

I'm not bonded to this dog, so it's not as upsetting for me as my friend. I just posted because I like to learn as much as possible about animals and in the hopes the information might be helpful to others.

All the best,

Woofers

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 AM

31 posts, read 168,406 times
Hi Woofers,
Please send my condolences to your friend. It is amazing that this dog was able to fight the cancer for 18 months...truly an example of hope for other dog owners. She will be at peace now.

Sincerely,
Trevi

Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
woofers...it sounds like the beagle was ready to go after a long struggle. still very sad. did you, by any chance, follow up with the question about the liver and bladder cancer being metastasized from the nasal cancer ? it will be helpful for those of us on this thread to know if the nasal cancer did spread there - an unusual occurrence as far as we know - or was it another cancer altogether? thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs