Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,562,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
My family has always gotten dogs as pups, but I'll weigh in from the "lab standpoint"....take it FWIW, obviously.

My suggestion, again, would be to contact these people, and go and see them. You may find the canine love of your life. Or, not. I'm a fan of keeping your options open, and GETTING your dog.
Very well put, mishigas. It is very true to always check and research. Very good examples of different dogs from the same bloodline and their different upbringing. It's all about their environment and who their owners are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,335,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
deegers-we are actually considering a rescue Lab. Does anyone have experience adopting an older dog when you have small kids? Are puppies better?
IME, neither one is better. It depends on the kids and the dogs/puppies. You need to see how they interact, which ones are the most tolerant, which ones are mouthy [not necessarily bad, but it can be scary for small children sometimes]. I've had them all and my kids grew up with them.

Having said that, it's also possible to get 'service dog drop-outs'. There's a group near me who trains service dogs, which they get by cruising shelters. Most of them do just fine, sometimes a dog will have a bit too much 'something' to do well as a service dog - like a strong desire to chase squirrels. But they also have basic obedience training and are young. I'm sure any service dog organization will have a few once in awhile. I even saw a K-9 drop out once in a shelter ad, the dog, a GSD, wasn't right for the job because he was too friendly! And a lot of breeders, even if they aren't actively involved in breed rescue, know about a dog or two who need to be rehomed due to a family emergency or some such thing.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:18 PM

269 posts, read 1,268,583 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. First I want to thank you all for your advice and support. It has meant more than you will ever know. After much thought, we have decided to not take the puppy. My Husband had a conversation with the Breeder the other day, and it really didn't go well. He is so much more rational and level headed about these matters, I am the emotional one. Basically we were going to have last pick because we opted to take the puppy a week later. In other words, the breeder wanted those pups gone by 6 weeks. Very upsetting. She couldn't even give us direction as to temperment, looks or anything of the remaining puppy. We did let her keep our $200 deposit, as it seemed like the right thing to do. We have learned a lesson I guess. I hope it helps others out there. I feel for that puppy, and I feel so guilty and almost numb inside. But to be honest, he was not in a terrible situation. I hope he finds a good home. My kids, thankfully, are being very brave and patient. I promised them we will bring a dog into our family. We will, but if I have learned anything, it is to be comfortable with who you are dealing with. For me, that would start with the personal relationship. Thank you again. I am feeling so blue, but I know it will pass.
Just read the whole thread... and I'm glad you didnt get the puppy. I was a nervous first time puppy mommy a couple of months ago and I was constantly seeking information & support from the breeder. It helps to have someone caring on that side so you feel reassured and can make the best choices for your puppy. Good luck with your puppy hunt!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,283,682 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. First I want to thank you all for your advice and support. It has meant more than you will ever know. After much thought, we have decided to not take the puppy. My Husband had a conversation with the Breeder the other day, and it really didn't go well. He is so much more rational and level headed about these matters, I am the emotional one. Basically we were going to have last pick because we opted to take the puppy a week later. In other words, the breeder wanted those pups gone by 6 weeks. Very upsetting. She couldn't even give us direction as to temperment, looks or anything of the remaining puppy. We did let her keep our $200 deposit, as it seemed like the right thing to do. We have learned a lesson I guess. I hope it helps others out there. I feel for that puppy, and I feel so guilty and almost numb inside. But to be honest, he was not in a terrible situation. I hope he finds a good home. My kids, thankfully, are being very brave and patient. I promised them we will bring a dog into our family. We will, but if I have learned anything, it is to be comfortable with who you are dealing with. For me, that would start with the personal relationship. Thank you again. I am feeling so blue, but I know it will pass.
Awh, I'm so sorry.
The perfect dog will come along and you will be in love with it.
It will work out.

ohhh and we adopted a 3-6 month old dog and he's wonderful w/ children. I truly think the dog is a reflection of it's owner and will react how you react. of course there are special abuse cases. Our guy was abused(nothing to horrible, but it's clear he was hit had a few times w/ something other then hand. He runs from spoons and hammers if you have them in your hand). We just kept loving him and he bounced back and became the best dog in the world.

Last edited by kelly3120; 01-31-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,094,311 times
If you go the rescue route, the rescue groups I am familiar with have the dogs in foster homes. This foster parent gets to know the dog pretty well-ok with kids or other dogs/separation anxiety/training issues etc.-with good communication and good questions for the foster home and the rescue group you should find a good match. If it doesn't work out they also take the dog back and you can try again. I know that is hard with children but maybe you could tell them this a dog that is just visiting for a week and that he has a home. Then if it works out he suddenly becomes available!!
Just a point--I was amazed at the difference in bringing home a six week old pup versus a nine week old pup. My first pup back in the day when it was considered normal was six weeks old. She cried and whined and seemed distraught. The more recent pup was nine weeks old and what a difference. He never blinked an eye. He started playing and running around and looked like he owned the place after an hour. He was a wonderful dog and died at the age of sixteen. I still miss him greatly.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,711,666 times
walk away a good breeder will ask tons of questions. You also should have papers etc. A good breeder breeds only to better the breed. She also should show a paper the parents have been tested b4 breeding for genetic issues.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,711,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Oh-and if you have stairs that he has to maneuver (sp?) don't be surprised if you're carrying him up and down for a while. I think Shelby was a couple months old, and definately over 20lbs, before she figured out stairs. I was told that was fine too, b/c you don't want them falling and injuring their legs/hips.
I saw on tv today lucky dog ranch and stairs. He had a stick with a small hot dog on it. The puppy would do one stair get the treat. It did not take long for the puppy to like stairs. My puppy was at training and stairs I was ready to carry her but the trainer said no. I liked the way the trainer did it today.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:15 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,715,426 times
This thread is from 7yrs ago. Always get to get a puppy from a responsible breeder if you go the breeding route but the poster has probably long ago got their pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs