Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,762,258 times

Advertisements

kari, tried to give you reps. I liked your reply, and the tone of it. Others said pretty much the same thing, gave them reps. I'm with you. I'd get the puppy. I'd figure it was meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Thanks everyonefor your guidance. Pet people are the best! Thank goodness for this forum. We are going to sleep on it over the weekend, but it's hard to imagine not going to get that puppy. BTW Toria: we were torn between Labs and Goldens!
Good luck with your decision. Definitely keep us updated.
And, who wouldn't be torn b/t labs and goldens - they're my two favorites!!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,747,659 times
a golden is a real sweet heart, as labs. did you read the book marley.and me! If it is to be
it will be, I would also have this person, if you say yes to give in writing a paper saying
you have the right to have this puppy checked by the vet of your choice for health
and a full refund if major problems now it the works. good luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM

if you get it all in writing, then if this person does not do what the contract does say
you can do small claims. also besure she signs a paper etc for cash, why-her word
against yours.also no paper trail -see, if a money order or am express cash might work.
then you can make a copy for your records.and make her sign what you gave.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM

Oh, definitely get a receipt saying you paid for the dog. Any time you hand over cash, you should get a receipt.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Oh, definitely get a receipt saying you paid for the dog. Any time you hand over cash, you should get a receipt.
yes, and the bank check gives you the paper trail! she, could just say it was not me! or the american express with you making a photo copy
gives you the paper trail.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

153 posts, read 942,172 times
I'm going to be the odd one out and suggest that you DON'T get the puppy. You'd only be giving money to a backyard breeder and encouraging her to make more puppies.

From what you've posted about her set up she doesn't sound like a reputable breeder at all. Failure to show you health clearances, dogs not registered with the AKC, dogs not shown in the breed ring, puppies being sent home too soon, the list goes on...

Not to mention that she has both parents on site which is actually another red flag. Top breeders rarely if ever breed to their own stock, they search for the male who will be the best match and often times that's a dog in another breeding program with another breeder. The fact that she has both parents makes me think she's probably just breeding her two dogs together because "they'd make cute pups and will fetch her some extra cash", not because she's trying to better the breed by producing high quality dogs that fit the standard.

I know its hard to leave him there but in the long run it's the best thing. You won't be supporting what these people do, and you'll have a chance to search for a reputable breeder that will be more likely to give you a healthy puppy of stable temperament.

Don't worry, someone that doesn't know any better will buy him, but that someone doesn't have to be you.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 AM

"I'm going to be the odd one out and suggest that you DON'T get the puppy. You'd only be giving money to a backyard breeder and encouraging her to make more puppies.
.....someone that doesn't know any better will buy him, but that someone doesn't have to be you.
"

There's so much truth in that -- I wish it were that easy to get rid of these types of breeers! But it's not, and someone will come along and buy that puppy.

Whoever buys that pup will be "giving money to a backyard breeder and encouraging her to make more puppies". It doesn't matter who buys this puppy. As you say, someone will (and it may or may not be a good home).

I personally would view this as a rescue situation, and would go ahead with it. If I didn't, I'd never be able to forget the puppy and wonder what happened to him, and regret that I left him to whatever fate. Probably even more so because he "was my first love-at-first sight puppy". But, that's just me. I know how emotional this kind of purchase usually is.

2KidsforMe, whatever you and your family decides to do, don't be tied to guilt over it. Some pup out there is going to have a great life with your loving family, maybe this one, maybe another -- and that's more than a lot of pets have. If you decide to look for another puppy, maybe this is the time to switch to goldens.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 AM

528 posts, read 2,488,538 times
I have (on more than one occasion) bred to one of our own stud dogs....it should not necessarily be viewed as a "red flag" at all. The pedigree is far more important than the location of the stud dog....

Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM

153 posts, read 942,172 times
Quote:
I have (on more than one occasion) bred to one of our own stud dogs....it should not necessarily be viewed as a "red flag" at all. The pedigree is far more important than the location of the stud dog....
While its true that responsible breeders CAN do this, it's not as common as one would think. Sure, if the dog you have happens to be the best match and you know what you're doing when it comes to breeding then by all means, but most of the time when someone has both parents it suggests a backyard breeder.

I know several top breeders that have used their own studs maybe twice in years of breeding, if that. Simply because the female they're breeding would have produced better with another male. When they did use a male they already had it was for linebreeding to try and lock in certain traits.

It costs money to ship a female off to be bred, stud fees, shipping fees, boarding fees. The average breeder is not going to pay that if they have an available dog right there at home, even if that dog may not be a good match for their girl. Hence the backyard breeder red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs