Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times

Advertisements

so as long as the stud dog is located off my premise, it's okay?

See how silly this gets? Again - it's the pedigree, not the physical location of the dog....I have males of my breeding living with co-owners in the next town and have bred to them. I wonder what category would that falls into, LOL? I have males living with me that I have bred to a few times. I have also bred to males 3000 miles away, and to males who have been dead for several years. None of this matters except how the pedigree lines up...ethical and conscientous breeding does not always fit ineatly nto little boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times
Unhappy We opted out

Hi everyone. First I want to thank you all for your advice and support. It has meant more than you will ever know. After much thought, we have decided to not take the puppy. My Husband had a conversation with the Breeder the other day, and it really didn't go well. He is so much more rational and level headed about these matters, I am the emotional one. Basically we were going to have last pick because we opted to take the puppy a week later. In other words, the breeder wanted those pups gone by 6 weeks. Very upsetting. She couldn't even give us direction as to temperment, looks or anything of the remaining puppy. We did let her keep our $200 deposit, as it seemed like the right thing to do. We have learned a lesson I guess. I hope it helps others out there. I feel for that puppy, and I feel so guilty and almost numb inside. But to be honest, he was not in a terrible situation. I hope he finds a good home. My kids, thankfully, are being very brave and patient. I promised them we will bring a dog into our family. We will, but if I have learned anything, it is to be comfortable with who you are dealing with. For me, that would start with the personal relationship. Thank you again. I am feeling so blue, but I know it will pass.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
I'm so sorry. It's awful when "doing the right thing" comes with heartbreak.

Since you're in "Patriot Nation" (GO PATS!!), would it be possible for you to get down to NY for the Wesminster show? That's how my parents and brother found the breeder of their labs. My dad just went and walked through the benching area, and ended up talking to a woman whose yellow lab (I think he was yellow) had just won best in breed. About 10 months later, my brother got his yellow lab from her.

It's a wonderful place to walk around and get to talk to people who feel passionate about their dogs, and know what they're talking about. I'd give you her name, but she has actually moved on to breeding for assistance dog stock. (My parents literally had to BEG her for one of her dogs four years ago).

Even if you can't get down to Westminster, it may be a good idea to go to some of the regional shows in your area, and speak to breeders there. It costs quite a bit of money to do the "dog show" thing, and you pretty much know that the people who do it are in it for the good of their breed.

I wish you the best.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

153 posts, read 937,614 times
Quote:
It costs money to ship a female off to be bred, stud fees, shipping fees, boarding fees. The average breeder is not going to pay that if they have an available dog right there at home, even if that dog may not be a good match for their girl. Hence the backyard breeder red flag.
Toria, that is the point I'm trying to make and that is why it's a red flag for me. I'm not implying that you are a backyard breeder.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the tip mishigas. My husband goes down to NY about once every other week for work, so maybe we can tag along during the dog show.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
2KidsforMe, you did what is right for you and your family - and only you guys could know what that is. Don't feel guilty. You left $200 on the table for her, which I don't feel she's even entitled to, but as you said it felt right to you to leave the deposit, and that's fine. Chalk that up to education, the proverbial "school of hard knocks". The fact that your husband's last conversation with this breeder didn't go well is confirmation that you made a wise decision. You have nothing to be guilty over. Do check out some of the AKC breeders in your area American Kennel Club - akc.org and contact the breed club closest to you. The breed clubs always know who has puppies available, or who is expecting. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
2KindsforMe, we are all very proud of you. I hope that others see the amazing work you and your husband did to weigth the best options.

Now, it's my turn to pipe up for the rescues and say, "come see the pups at the shelters and rescues!!!" You know there's tons of pups that need homes in those shelters, many actually that are pure breds...check the pure bred rescues for more help on locating the pure breds in shelters. Super big help. I am sure you know this, I just have to do a little extra gentle nudge..LOL

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM

deegers-we are actually considering a rescue Lab. Does anyone have experience adopting an older dog when you have small kids? Are puppies better?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
Whohoo! I"m so excited you are even considering!!!

Actually, older dogs are better than puppies because they are already out of their puppy phase. Most older dogss in rescue get tested to see how they do with kids so you might already be able to view their profile regarding this matter.

There's a tramendous amount of information out there showing over and over how an older dog even just a year old can be a much better fit for a family with kids. And food for thought, you still want a puppish dog, most dogs don't grow out of their puppiness until at least 2 years old. So, you kind of got best of both world there. Anyone else have some good advice?

Oh, I'm excited. Keep us posted!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
deegers-we are actually considering a rescue Lab. Does anyone have experience adopting an older dog when you have small kids? Are puppies better?
My family has always gotten dogs as pups, but I'll weigh in from the "lab standpoint"....take it FWIW, obviously.

My parents have a lab who is, quite possibly, just the most mellow creature you could ever meet. Screaming kids, toddlers crawling all over him....nothing fazes him at all. I think that part of it has to do with his innate temperament (like I said, he came from stock that's used now for assistance dogs). But, it also comes from the fact that he literally grew up with my nephew (they're 3 months apart in age). This kid was pulling his ears, curling up next to him, and using him as a "step-stool" from day one. He's used to it.

Now, contrast this to my brother's dog (who comes from the same bloodline). He was older when my nephew was born, and pretty much became the "old crotchety guy". He'd just "boof" when my nephew became too much for him, and it was up to the adults in the vicinity to make sure that my nephew left him alone. It wasn't a huge deal, but something definitely that had to be kept in mind.

If you want to get a rescue lab, bear in mind that this dog *may* have not had the best life prior to coming to you. Even though labs tend to be quite mellow dogs by nature, you would probably have to deal with some "baggage" with a rescue.

It's definitely not absolutely insurmountable, and I can't imagine that most rescue associations would put a dog in a situation where their "issues" would become an issue. (Like putting a food aggressive dog in a house with smaller kids, for example.)

My suggestion, again, would be to contact these people, and go and see them. You may find the canine love of your life. Or, not. I'm a fan of keeping your options open, and GETTING your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs