Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM

675 posts, read 2,685,232 times

Advertisements

This is just so frustrating. I thought I was doing the right thing by finding a beeder, not buying from a puppy strore, and personally visiting the site. We are still on the fence as to what to do. My husband wants to just eat the deposit and let it go for now. My kids, of course, want the puppy. Seems like I am going to be the deciding vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
This is just so frustrating. I thought I was doing the right thing by finding a beeder, not buying from a puppy strore, and personally visiting the site. We are still on the fence as to what to do. My husband wants to just eat the deposit and let it go for now. My kids, of course, want the puppy. Seems like I am going to be the deciding vote.
Don't feel bad. Just look at all the education you just gained for when you get Brady a little playmate . Like somebody else said, she may not be a mill, but not a very nice puppy person. The breeder we got our lab from would have definately let us come at a later date (we got ours at 10 weeks old) even if the 10 week date was bad for us. Don't let the type of 'breeder' she is make you think badly about the type of puppy mommy you're going to be. If I were you, I would probably still get the puppy. Just be up front with your vet as to the conditions of the home he came from so they know to test for things like giardhia and such. Get him checked out and enjoy your little guy.

As for the crate question-we crated ours right from the get go. I think she only got up in the middle of the night for about a week (but that was at 10 weeks old too). She slept through the night pretty quickly, but she was up very early. LOL. It's like having a baby all over again. She's a year old now and looks at me when I get her up at 6am (so that I can go to work) like, "OH MOM-DO I HAVE TO GET UP NOW????) LOL. Have fun and be patient.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,691 times
I agree with the previous post. The puppy is looking forward to a good life with you.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
Oh-and if you have stairs that he has to maneuver (sp?) don't be surprised if you're carrying him up and down for a while. I think Shelby was a couple months old, and definately over 20lbs, before she figured out stairs. I was told that was fine too, b/c you don't want them falling and injuring their legs/hips.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,613 times
Quote:
We support you no matter what you decide. I know it's frustrating. I get so tired of having to do so much work just to choose the right canned food for my cats! You aren't alone in your frustrations. Trust your judgement is all I can think to say. We are only here to give you the best education on these things.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,755 times
Quote:
Ah 2KidsforMe, wish you lived closer by...someone just dumped a little yellow lab (possibly golden) mix on a nearby highway, and a friend who fosters has him at her home. Couldn't be cuter and I expect he'll go quickly...but really, as others have said, consider Little Tom Brady a rescue...it's completely up to you, but I suspect if it were me I'd move forward and bring him home, despite the fact that the breeder is questionable. Her dogs, at least the ones you met, seem good (friendly, clean, etc., as you note) and that counts for a lot. Trust your instincts here...and follow your heart. And please do keep us posted!

~PudelPie

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,619 times
2KidsForMe - I breed and show Goldens, and from what I read, she doesn't sound like the top tier of the breeding world, but not the bottom either. I am a bit concerned over the number of dogs she has, and that she wants cash (I suspect she's not paying taxes on her puppy sales).However, if the place was clean and the dogs were well kept, you probably will be okay - there's just a bit more risk in taking a puppy from a breeder such as this. I don't send puppies home until at least eight weeks, normally....seven is a little early for my comfort but doable if you have to.

What kind of guarantee on hips....you said 25 months, but what are the terms? If your puppy is afflicted with dysplasia, and her guarantee is that she will replace the dog for you that means you would have to return your pet for resolution - a rotten deal for you. Most good breeders would instead offer either a partial or full refund, which you could then use to offset any additional medical costs. Or the breeder might offer you another puppy from a different litter, but still not require you to return yours. It's easy for the less scrupulous breeders to say "we guarantee our puppies" by requiring a return....because they know that most families would seldom return their family pet six months down the road. It's an easy out for them.

Can you get copies of the dam and sires hip and eye clearances ahead of time or at least see them, and check to see that they are real? Or, if you know the sire and dam's registered names, you can look them up on the OFA online database. People who aren't familiar with clearances are sometimes fooled by paperwork - the hips should be done by an evaluating organization such as OFA (offa.org) and a final clearance is not given until the dog is 2 years of age. If done earlier than two, it is merely a preliminary clearance, which could change (though often doesn't). An eye clearance should be either a CERF form and number, or an actual eye exam form completed by a veterinary ophthalmologist. A piece of paper signed by the breeder's regular vet isn't a "clearance".

Can you DM me with the breeder's website...I can take a look and give you my opinion, anyways....by the way, I love the name you picked out for your puppy!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
Anything to do with animals is a learning experience. You'll probably do just fine with the puppy, and he'll probably be a total love. Don't hold the puppy responsible for the breeder. You want him, your kids already love him, your husband probably does too but is thinking more dire thoughts at the breeder, and the puppy is there just looking for a forever home where he will be loved and part of a family. Dogs are first and foremost companions to people - all those little special offshoots like herding, guarding, protecting, etc, are part of the purpose of their breed, but it all goes to giving them particular skills to be the perfect companions for a specific purpose. Some breeds are intended for nothing BUT companionship. Labs generally are are smart and loving and willing to learn to do whatever is asked of them.

And once you have him, you can continue to do research on the breeder, if you want. It may turn out that she really is a pretty good breeder who just happens to have no people skills, and doesn't relate to people well. Or maybe she is just protecting herself emotionally from 'losing' a puppy. While I still think she has way too many dogs on her farm, the fact that they are happy, friendly, appear to be healthy, says a lot in itself. And I wouldn't fault her for wanting cash, it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that maybe she's been burned in the past, taking checks that bounced.

In fact, I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting cash only - with the rise in identity theft, a lot of stores around where I live, particularly gas stations and convenience stores, won't take anything except cash or credit cards, not even debit cards. They got burned too often.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,232 times
Thanks everyonefor your guidance. Pet people are the best! Thank goodness for this forum. We are going to sleep on it over the weekend, but it's hard to imagine not going to get that puppy. BTW Toria: we were torn between Labs and Goldens!

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 01-25-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Anything to do with animals is a learning experience. You'll probably do just fine with the puppy, and he'll probably be a total love. Don't hold the puppy responsible for the breeder. You want him, your kids already love him, your husband probably does too but is thinking more dire thoughts at the breeder, and the puppy is there just looking for a forever home where he will be loved and part of a family. Dogs are first and foremost companions to people - all those little special offshoots like herding, guarding, protecting, etc, are part of the purpose of their breed, but it all goes to giving them particular skills to be the perfect companions for a specific purpose. Some breeds are intended for nothing BUT companionship. Labs generally are are smart and loving and willing to learn to do whatever is asked of them.

And once you have him, you can continue to do research on the breeder, if you want. It may turn out that she really is a pretty good breeder who just happens to have no people skills, and doesn't relate to people well. Or maybe she is just protecting herself emotionally from 'losing' a puppy. While I still think she has way too many dogs on her farm, the fact that they are happy, friendly, appear to be healthy, says a lot in itself. And I wouldn't fault her for wanting cash, it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that maybe she's been burned in the past, taking checks that bounced.

In fact, I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting cash only - with the rise in identity theft, a lot of stores around where I live, particularly gas stations and convenience stores, won't take anything except cash or credit cards, not even debit cards. They got burned too often.

I'm w/ Kari ....go get that puppy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs