Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM

795 posts, read 4,540,660 times

Advertisements

does anyone know the answer to the following question:

is it possible to find out where your dog's siblings ended up by contacting the akc?

for example: i have barnaby, 12-year old shih tzu. i know where we bought him, the name of his breeder, and the date of purchase. i registered him with the akc when he was a puppy even though i had no plans to breed him b/c i wanted to see his bloodlines.

now, years and years later, i am interested in finding out information about the other dogs from his litter:

-- are they still alive?
-- what medical conditions do they have?
-- what do they look like? b/c his upper palate developed into an overbite and he has a very distinct, teddy-bear look. the vet told me this was a dental issue, but i wonder if the other puppies in his litter developed the same dental "problem", or if they look more like traditional shih tzus?
-- etc.

i have tried searching for his breeder, but she has moved, and i cannot find contact information for her.

so my question is: is there a way to track the other puppies through the akc if they were registered in the first place? what information would i need?

or, alternately, is there a way to track the breeder through the akc?

does anyone know? any ideas appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
I don't believe you can track his littermates. That would be an invasion of privacy. The only way would be to go through the Breeder...she would have ( or should have ) kept records of every birth. I have records going back 20 years! But even then, I not sure she would give you the info. Again, invasion of privacy. Some people get very "edgy" when private info is shared...like telephone #'s and addresses. E-mail addy is the most I ever gave out.
I think the only way to track the Breeder herself is to go through listings of your dog breeds. No an individual search as far as I know...but things could have changed.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

oh...well, crap, i didn't think about the privacy issue.

hmmm. so, follow-up question: what happens if you are interested in purchasing a dog from certain bloodlines, but you don't know what breeder owns the most recent breeding stock from those lines? are you just out of luck? there's no way to find that info?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
If your dog is AKC, did he have a kennel name? Most breeders put their kennel name as part of the AKC name. If not, the kennel should be listed, maybe in the sire/dam's name. Do you have a document of your dog's purebred heritage going back 3 or 4 generations? Google may be your best friend in finding the kennel name. I was able to do that w/ one of my rescue pups, and he is now 8 yrs old. Years ago, I tried googling the breeder's name to no avail. Just recently, I realized there was a kennel name in one of his parents so I googled that and found the puppy mill he came from.

PM me any info if you want me to try and look for you.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM

I was basically going to say the same thing....If you have his papers, you can go onto the AKC website and order a 3 or 5 generation history. That will give you lots of names to work with. Google is probably your best, easiest and fastest way.
If your looking for a particular line...then you would have to have a Kennel name or name of a Sire or *****...and googling again would probably be the best way. These days everyone and anyone has a website, so you may have some luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM

yes, i do have those papers...that's the whole reason i registered him in the first place, just to see those generation papers.

(sidenote: actually, it was sort of a shocker to realize how in-bred his line was...i don't know how normal that is as a rule, but wow! the same names kept popping up again and again.)

and now i'm kicking myself because i've just realized i don't have them here with me, they're in storage in a different city.

i will have to check on getting a second copy of those papers because it could be awhile before i get back to that storage vault.

kahskye and shelbygirl1 -- thank you so much for your help!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
yes, i do have those papers...that's the whole reason i registered him in the first place, just to see those generation papers.

(sidenote: actually, it was sort of a shocker to realize how in-bred his line was...i don't know how normal that is as a rule, but wow! the same names kept popping up again and again.)

and now i'm kicking myself because i've just realized i don't have them here with me, they're in storage in a different city.

i will have to check on getting a second copy of those papers because it could be awhile before i get back to that storage vault.

kahskye and shelbygirl1 -- thank you so much for your help!
Depending how close the lines are...I think it is 4-5 times removed would be considered line-breeding...any closer is in-breeding. Don't quote on those exact #'s...it's been awhile

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
If you do find the breeder, you could ask her to give your number/email to the other owners. That way, they could contact you as they wish.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Depending how close the lines are...I think it is 4-5 times removed would be considered line-breeding...any closer is in-breeding. Don't quote on those exact #'s...it's been awhile
With horses, we always say that it's line-breeding when it works and in-breeding when it doesn't.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
With horses, we always say that it's line-breeding when it works and in-breeding when it doesn't.
I would say there are a few within the AKC that say the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs