Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,557 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

We have a very young puppy...6 weeks old. She is going on the pee-pee pads now and is doing a pretty good job for her young age. When would be an appropriate age to start trying to get her to potty outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM

543 posts, read 2,311,294 times
I would start now, as long as the weather is not too cold.First thing in the morning and then again after the pup has eaten. Will get the idea in no time. Might help by saying outside each time you go out, and if pup does his business outside, lots of praise. I always crate trained my pups.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Just a note of caution: do NOT take her out on the street. ONLY on your property. There is a LOT of Parvovirus out there and can also be brought in on your shoes. This causes diarrhea that can be FATAL in puppies. I would frankly wait at least until her third set of vaccinations at 12 weeks. Better safe than sorry. She should also NOT be meeting other dogs yet for this same reason.

Take a look at my training method post here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/7403225-post11.html Follow it TO THE LETTER (ESPECIALLY the part about going out with your dog) and you'll have a trained dog. Not right away, but relatively quickly

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM

59 posts, read 325,656 times
Default Vet assistant

Go outside ASAP!!! You are essentially training your dog to go to the bathroom in your house. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a difficult habit to break. While it is important to be cautious before your dog is fully vaccinated it is also important to socialize, socialize, socialize. A friendly dog is exposed to many dogs and people from an early age. Your dog should be fully vaccinated by 16 weeks.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,433,741 times
I agree...start pronto! Eliminate the puppy pads...your just teaching her it is ok to go to the bathroom indoors. It may take a bit more work...like going outdoors with her all the time, but it will payoff in the longrun. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,200,192 times
Right away. I cut about 4 good size squares of turf out of my front yard and put it inside and got him going on that. In a couple days he got the hang of it so I put the pieces back in the lawn and he'll let me know when it's time to go out.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
six weeks is a bit on the young side to even have the puppy, but there is no reason to wait for housebreaking. It just gets tougher the longer you wait.

Are you going to crate train?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM

Well we work during the day and do not have a doogy door, so right now pee pads are the only option. She cannot hold it in a crate for 8 hours! We are going to take her outside in the morning, after work, and before bed, but during the day we have no other option but to use the pee-pads until she gets older and can hold it longer.

She is very scared of the outdoors right now being so young. We do not have turf we can bring in the house so that won't work. We thought about just spending time with her outside on the grass so she is less scared.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
In my experience, getting dogs to go out by themselves won't teach them much. You need to LEASH HER UP AND GO OUT WITH HER. Please look at my training post to which I referred you above.

Have you thought about getting a dog walker? What are you going to do when she's older and you're gone for 8+ hours/day. I can't 'hold it' for 8 hours and I doubt that that's something a dog is able to easily do.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 AM

Alot of our working friends have small dogs in apartments/townhomes and leave them at home and the dogs are okay until they get home. Of course this would not be until she is alot older.

Living in a townhome we do not have a yard, so taking her out to green areas around our house is risky until she has her shots. We may have to keep her house trained until her shots because the only grassy areas around us are community grassy areas and there have probably been other dogs there...we are not totally sure, but better to be safe than sorry. I guess we could start transitioning her to outside at 12 weeks...even though this way will be more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs