Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 AM

490 posts, read 1,434,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
In my experience, getting dogs to go out by themselves won't teach them much. You need to LEASH HER UP AND GO OUT WITH HER. Please look at my training post to which I referred you above.

Have you thought about getting a dog walker? What are you going to do when she's older and you're gone for 8+ hours/day. I can't 'hold it' for 8 hours and I doubt that that's something a dog is able to easily do.
I have read your method and understand and agree with it, but outdoor training is difficult at this time. Please see my above my post.

I would never send her out by herself, as we do not have a yard! My husband and I will always be with her when she starts going outside.

We will get a house in about a year or so...at that time we will get a doggy door!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
You can already start training her on the pads. You can train her to 'go' on command (my dog learned that way): every time she goes, tell her 'Good potty!!!!' and give her a party with incredible treats. If you decide to use clicker training (which is great, because you can actually MARK the event that you want to reinforce (check ClickerSolutions Home to read about how clicker training works)). If you say that every time, you can get her to 'go potty!' on command. Take a look at Pat Miller's book, "The Power of Positive Dog Training." It's worth its weight in gold.

Please, do NOT get a doggy door. They're frankly NOT what they're cracked up to be and you should be going out with your dog. And other things can get IN (not to mention the heat pouring out of your house).

Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Can I give her treats at 6 weeks?

Now she is eating dry food that we make a little wet since all her teeth are not in.

She is already going on the pee-pee pads most of time which is pretty good for 6 weeks. We get really excited and praise her every time she goes (except when we are not there)!

I was thinking about a prior post that talked about using turf. We have a little patio so I could put a few pieces of turf out there just so she could spend some time playing outside in a safe non-dog contimated area. I want her to acclimate to the outdoors and she still has 6 weeks until she will be in clear with her shots.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Oh yeah...thank you everyone for your posts! I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
You can absolutely give her treats!!! For training, especially potty training, as outlined in my post, make them HIGH VALUE: chicken, cheese or steak. TINY pieces are just fine.

Dogs rank their treats as low value (kibble, for example), medium value (carrot) and high value (chicken, cheese or steak). The harder the task, the higher value the treat should be!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Okay cool! So I guess we just need to make sure they are tiny!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Using pee pads then teaching to go outside is Easy! When you & she is ready just put pads outside! Slowly cut them smaller & smaller til there is none LOL Right now I keep a pad down all times. You never said her breed! IF she going to be a small breed when she full grown you could put the pads in a litter box or even put plain cat litter in a box now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs