Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,930 times

Advertisements

I will be picking up my goldendoodle puppy on Thursday and have most of his supplies at home. I did pick up some training pads, but now that I think of it, do I really need them? Some friends have suggested that if I get him used to going potty on those, that it may be more difficult to house train him where he will go potty outside. Thoughts?

Also, any advice people can give me on house training a puppy, that would be awesome! I already am aware that I'm probably not going to have many restful nights coming up, but I'm a little nervous as to what to expect the first week or so.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM

157 posts, read 564,638 times
I have used them in the past but find most puppies chew them up. I personally think it's easier to start housebreaking without them. Right after eating, a drink, waking up..try taking him outside immediately. Praising him when he goes.
A puppy can hold it for about 1 hour per month old.
Good luck with your new guy!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
My mother used them with her little Pomeranian, but I wouldn't with a larger dog. For one thing, little dogs are notorious for being difficult to house break. Not so much with larger dogs.

You'll have better luck with supervision, a regular schedule, long walks and effective crate training.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
I'd never use them, eswpecially with a larger breed puppy. The dog needs to learn ASAP that pottying is something to be done outside. And Casey is right about puppies chewing them up. We had a package here leftover from when our older dog (R.I.P.) had an incontinence problem. So we decided to use them in a few common problem spots in the living room. Within a few minutes, this 9-week old puppy had one by the corner and was streaking around the house with it. He looked like Superman in a white cape.

Crate training has always worked best for me, especially nighttime crating. And always take the puppy out after meals, sleep/naps and play/exercise.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
I will be picking up my goldendoodle puppy on Thursday and have most of his supplies at home. I did pick up some training pads, but now that I think of it, do I really need them? Some friends have suggested that if I get him used to going potty on those, that it may be more difficult to house train him where he will go potty outside. Thoughts?

Also, any advice people can give me on house training a puppy, that would be awesome! I already am aware that I'm probably not going to have many restful nights coming up, but I'm a little nervous as to what to expect the first week or so.

Thanks!
I would ask the breeder where he is in terms of housetraining. Many start young by putting a spotless side of the whelping box with access to another side which is for eliminating.

Read about why to use white printless newspaper instead of those pads, if you decide to allow access to the pads. But I'd try not to.

Like this:

Puppies at 3 to 3½ weeks - Time to start potty training

I used a cue word (other than the gross words "poop" etc)...with my bulldog (not known to be the brightest bulbs) to trigger him to go. I took him out every 4 hours minimum when he was being trained...and AT the EXACT moment he eliminated outside I'd say "cha cha, Spunk". (My son picked the word from Beavis and Butthead).

Then every time once he got to know what it meant, he'd know when/where it was time to go if we were in a weird situation ...for example in ICE when he had to go in weird places or on a trip we'd stop and I'd say "OK cha cha here". Everybody expected to see him dance LOL.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
There is a thread here with step by step directions on how to house train a dog of any age. I don't have time to search for it now, hopefully someone else will repost it.

MODs it would be so useful to have it as a sticky at the top of the page, please and thank you.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
There is a thread here with step by step directions on how to house train a dog of any age. I don't have time to search for it now, hopefully someone else will repost it.

MODs it would be so useful to have it as a sticky at the top of the page, please and thank you.
I remember it from this past spring, I think, and K9Coach wrote out an extremely valuable guide to housetraining.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
I would never recommend using training pads. The dog is not going to really understand the difference in the long run. If they learn from the start that inside the house is an acceptable location, they may hang onto that idea and could leave 'gifts' if left alone for an extended period of time.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8976696-post6.html

Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
No they Don't leave Gifts if trained right. Training for pad is a great fall bacck on a long work day. Or when dog gets too old...getting outside difficult. Bad Weather.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs