Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

[quote=dualie;40138120]Christy... is your dog on any medications? If yes, call your vet and ask them if a small dose of benydryl would be a problem. Or ask them to prescribe a doggie downer for you.

OP says the dog just has leg operation! So even if the dog is not on meds giving the dog something & hoping it will work Not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
How far is the Canadian border?

To bad she will need a passport & vet papers ....

Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy323 View Post
My Westie goes crazy during thunderstorms and she is absolutely bonkers during fireworks on July 4th. She is not afraid, it seems more like she's really angry, but she runs & barks non-stop during the noise & stays agitated for a long time after. This is bad enough most years, but right now we are also dealing with a torn cruciate ligament & I am supposed to keep her calm & stop her from running & jumping. This is not going to be possible during fireworks. Does anyone know of a place in NJ, NY or PA that is quiet & has no fireworks where we might be able to get a room for the night? I know that's a tall order, but any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
The best thing is to stay in your apartment, and make your pup as comfortable as possible in your home rather than trying to relocate her.

My protocols for my thunder and firework-phobic border collie:

Pup goes out prior to dusk to do a final potty break for the night
Xanax- as prescribed by vet
Melatonin- the kind taken by people, just the basic kind, not time release or quick dissolve. It calms and takes the edge off for many dogs.
Dog goes into bedroom with white noise machine to drown out noise of fireworks; alternately, turn TV on high volume
DAP- Dog Appeasing Pheromone spray on bedroom curtains (just needs to be sprayed in same room dog will be in) to take the edge off the anxiety
Close the curtains and/or blinds, turn light on
I hang out in the bedroom with dog until fireworks are over

Normally this works well as the dog is calmer due to xanax, melatonin, and DAP, and the sound machine and TV drown out the sound of the fireworks.

Unless you live in the middle of where they are setting the fireworks off, I would think the same process would work for your pup.

I support crate training, but each dog reacts differently, and needs a proper introduction to crate training. I would not plan to use a crate on the 4th, and as someone else mentioned, she may face greater possibility of injury from trying to move and escape from the crate.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I tried to rep you 'twelvepaw' but have to spread it around first

Great common sense approach; much like I do for my dogs.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 PM

155 posts, read 117,924 times
A couple of suggestions. Thundershirt & "Rescue Remedy". Rescue remedy is a natural stress relief.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
The best thing is to stay in your apartment, and make your pup as comfortable as possible in your home rather than trying to relocate her.

My protocols for my thunder and firework-phobic border collie:

Pup goes out prior to dusk to do a final potty break for the night
Xanax- as prescribed by vet
Melatonin- the kind taken by people, just the basic kind, not time release or quick dissolve. It calms and takes the edge off for many dogs.
Dog goes into bedroom with white noise machine to drown out noise of fireworks; alternately, turn TV on high volume
DAP- Dog Appeasing Pheromone spray on bedroom curtains (just needs to be sprayed in same room dog will be in) to take the edge off the anxiety
Close the curtains and/or blinds, turn light on
I hang out in the bedroom with dog until fireworks are over

Normally this works well as the dog is calmer due to xanax, melatonin, and DAP, and the sound machine and TV drown out the sound of the fireworks.

Unless you live in the middle of where they are setting the fireworks off, I would think the same process would work for your pup.

I support crate training, but each dog reacts differently, and needs a proper introduction to crate training. I would not plan to use a crate on the 4th, and as someone else mentioned, she may face greater possibility of injury from trying to move and escape from the crate.
Agree 100% on everything in this post.

IME if you use Xanax you prolly won't need the melatonin and the DAP.

Every dog is different but if you wanna try what will likely work without spending too much I'd suggest the Thundershirt and Xanax prescribed by your vet. Along with all the other free mechanical suggestions above.

Be sure to get your dog used to wearing the TS before the terrible day...just a few minutes once or twice a day with treats.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
HOW do you know this medication Wont interact with Meds the Vet Currently has the dog on??

At some point one really should use common sense when it comes to their animals and any medication.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM

Reading again, I would definitely get Xanax from your vet. You do not want to undo all your hard work of rehabbing that expensive cruciate repair. Time for the big guns.

You will want to try your dog on Xanax before the terrible day. In a very few dogs the drug causes excitability.

Using Xanax for Dogs With Anxiety Disorders

Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Here is an excellent article on the subject (noise anxiety such as fireworks, thunder) by perhaps the world's leading veterinary behaviorist Dr. Karen Overall: Storm Phobias

And if your vet wants to prescribe Acepromazine for your dog's sound anxiety, please find yourself another vet. Yours is living in the dark ages and does not keep current with continuing education.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
There is no guarantee that there won't be fireworks even close to a motel/hotel.
My bulldog is afraid of fireworks....I tke her in about the time they start, I have a fan on, and I distract her with treats and lots of attention...She is still worried, but not panicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs