Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM

15 posts, read 19,874 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are visiting Charlotte this coming weekend July 2nd - July 4th. We are looking for some nice places to visit.

We've heard of Southpark, Epicentre, Whitewater Center. Looking to eat at a couple good restaurants that will not break the bank. I seen the Melting Pot and Brixx any reviews available on them?

Recommendations on places to see and eat would be appreciated.

How's the Movie theatre at Epicenter?

We are planning to move to Charlotte and this is our first visit. Although we have not made up our minds completely we wanted to visit and get a feel of things.

What are some good Area's to live in? Let's put a price of 200K - 275K on the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_123 View Post
My Wife and I are visiting Charlotte this coming weekend July 2nd - July 4th. We are looking for some nice places to visit.

We've heard of Southpark, Epicentre, Whitewater Center. Looking to eat at a couple good restaurants that will not break the bank. I seen the Melting Pot and Brixx any reviews available on them?

We are planning to move to Charlotte and this is our first visit. Although we have not made up our minds completely we wanted to visit and get a feel of things.

What are some good Area's to live in? Let's put a price of 200K - 275K on the home.
That would depend on where the job is.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:

Well, it's hard to make exact recommendations until you are able to say where your job would be located I'm afraid.

But in general you want to see these areas to find homes in your price range.

Matthews
Mint Hill
Huntersville
Steele Creek
Fort Mill, SC

Tell me where you think you'll be staying and I'll write out some general directions.

Now, since you'll be in town on the 4th do plan to catch the fireworks show at South Park, which is usually the night before. The Charlotte Symphony plays and the crowd is very friendly and well behaved.

South Park is a very desirable area of the city, but out of your price range unless you want to buy a townhome or condo.

The Whitewater Rafting Center is a mustsee, and the movie theater at the Epicentre is very nice, though a tad expensive.

Love the Melting Pot, but try to add Mac's Speedshop on South Blvd to your places to eat if you like good barbeque (their brisket is my fave).

Mac's Speedshop - Beer Bikes BBQ in Charlotte NC

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM

We will be staying at the Marriot Uptown.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
I'll put in a 2nd recommendation for Mac's Speed shop -- the brisket is awesome!

Also love Tavern on the Tracks.

As for moving... the city is really spread out, and the commute can be crazy. It is easier to recommending a place to live if you have a job location.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I'll put in a 2nd recommendation for Mac's Speed shop -- the brisket is awesome!

Also love Tavern on the Tracks.

As for moving... the city is really spread out, and the commute can be crazy. It is easier to recommending a place to live if you have a job location.

Completely agree! No one should get their heart set on any one area until they know their job location. Otherwise, with as spread out as Charlotte is your commute could be utterly miserable

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,849 times
Not sure why you'd spend the weekend in a city you're considering moving to and spend 2+ hours in ANY movie theater. As everyone else has said, we need to know where you'll be working before we can recommend what to spend you're time seeing or where to live.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM

14 posts, read 28,180 times
I really like Ri-Ra’s Irish Pub in uptown. I’ve been to Ireland and thus felt like they really give the place an authentic Irish flare. They have good food at reasonable prices, a nice place to sit outside (if it’s not too hot or raining) and, if you’re lucky, you’ll be able to catch some of the staff working who are actually from Ireland. If you’re looking for a bar with a lot of personality, try Wooden Vine - beautifully designed and decorated. For a really fancy night out and amazing steaks, go to Ruth’s Chris (but expect to drop $100 minimum).

For lunches or just something fairly inexpensive, try Salsarita’s or Five Guys. Salsarita’s has giant burritos that you can fill however you want and Five Guys has great burgers. They’ll also give you a ton of fries (a “small” order takes up about half a paper bag) but bring a washcloth because you’ll feel the grease start to leak out your pores almost immediately. The other nice thing about this place though is that it’s located in the Epicentre so there’s all sorts of things to do there. I highly recommend the piano bar (Howl at the Moon), especially if you’re a 30-something or up as they play music from our days and the crowd is a little older so you don’t feel ancient around the teenie boppers (i.e. Whisky River - be sure to dress provocatively and skimpily if you go there and want to fit in - at least, I felt way overdressed the one time I went!).

For an extensive list of Charlotte restaurants in the uptown area as well as other things to do in Charlotte, check out the DNC page of my favorite site Weekend10.com: DNC 2012 Visit Charlotte - Weekend10.com. They’ve got info on our light rail included on there too if you wanna get around town easily and not mess with parking (which can be a huge pain and costly).

You’ve picked a good weekend to come with all the 4th of July events going on around town. Check out the above site’s homepage (Charlotte Events, Concerts & Festivals - Weekend10.com) tomorrow when they make their updates. They always have a full list of events in Charlotte NC for the weekend and, my guess is, this weekend will be full of events specifically for the 4th.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Not sure why you'd spend the weekend in a city you're considering moving to and spend 2+ hours in ANY movie theater. As everyone else has said, we need to know where you'll be working before we can recommend what to spend you're time seeing or where to live.
At the end of the day it would be nice to watch a movie.

If we enjoy our time there in Charlotte it will not be our last time visiting.

I Currently live in Columbus, OH so I know what it is like to have a city spread out. Although I do not like Columbus. I recommend areas to live if someone was just browsing.

I've heard of Waxhaw also.

I would by a Foreclosure and rehab the property. How are taxes in Mecklenburg? Where I live currently taxes on a $225K home will cost you $5800.00 a year. Taxes a over the top here.

State Sales Tax here is 6.75% I think that is roughly a national average though

Currently Gas is $3.79 a gallon on average

What is a good source for Jobs in Charlotte or Surrounding Areas? I would prefer to live outside the city and drive in when needed. In Columbus the downtown is dead.

Is lowes headquarters located in a nice area?

I'm just ramblin'

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
We will be staying at the Marriot Uptown.
That's good, as uptown is a very central location and you can branch off to see the areas I mentioned pretty easily.

Huntersville is straight up I77 north of uptown. Explore both sides of the interstate from exit 23 to exit 25 and you'll get a feel for Huntersville. Too many nice neighborhoods here to really recommend any in particular.

Steele Creek is straight down I77 southwest of uptown. Get off on I45 heading west and take the South Tryon exit - turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Follow S. Tryon (also called hwy 49) all the way to the Buster Boyd Bridge (which is the state line) to get a feel for the general Steele Creek area. Check out McDowell Nature Preserve right before the bridge, it's a lovely park on the lake.

Fort Mill is further south down I77 from uptown. Take exit 88 (Gold Hill Rd) off of I77. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp. After Gold Hill intersects with hwy 160 (continue straight) you will enter the lovely little lake community of Tega Cay. After you explore Tega Cay (try to find the park on the lake, it's really pretty) make you way back to the intersection with hwy 160 and take a right on hwy 160 (if you go left, you will wind up back in Steele Creek ). Follow hwy 160 to get a good feel for Fort Mill. Travel over the interstate and you'll wind your way into old downtown.

Back in uptown, find your way to 7th Street (will be called Monroe Rd as it moves away from uptown.) Follow this all the way to the center of old downtown Matthews (Monroe Rd changes names to W. John St here). Take a right on S. Trade St in the heart of Matthews. Follow S. Trade to see the town ball fields and some neighborhoods. If you take a right on Weddington Rd you will wind your way into Union County and can see the very nice Siskey YMCA (very popular) just after you ride over I485, along with nice neighborhoods along the way.

Try to see Mint Hill when you are done with Matthews. Make your way back to the center of Matthews where West John St. and S. Trade intersect. You will be on S. Trade, so go thru the intersection with W. John and you'll then be on N. Trade St. This will allow you to see the other side of old downtown. Take a right immediately after you cross the rail road tracks to see the town library and other newer retail shops. You'll go around a round about then find you way back to N. Trade. Take a right onto N. Trade, go thru one redlight and the road name changes to Sam Newell Rd.

Follow Sam Newell to the next redlight and take a right onto Matthews Township Parkway. You will pass the hospital complex (Presbyterian Hospital) and then get into the larger retail area (Target, Home Depot, etc). Just continue to follow Matthews Township Parkway and it will bcome Matthews Mint Hill Rd.

In a few miles this will lead you to the heart of Mint Hill. At the intersection of Matthews Mint Hll Rd and Lawyers Rd go left or right to just to see some of the neighborhoods. But if you take a right at that point you will come to I485. Take that toward Matthews (enter the ramp to the right). You can either get off I485 onto hwy 74/Independence Blvd to find your way back uptown, or go an exit further to the Matthews exit and find you way back on John Street where you can retrace your route back to uptown by following it until it becomes Monroe Rd again and then 7th St. near uptown.

There are of course MANY other areas of the city to see. These recommendations are just some of the best for homes in your price range.

Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte