Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 AM
xie xie started this thread

3 posts, read 9,435 times

Advertisements

I've tried to get ideas from some of the posts here, but maybe just asking my question would help me more.

I just got offered a job in downtown/uptown(?) Charlotte and am looking at housing options before accepting. I would be relocating from Florida. I went to college in north carolina (though not UNCC) and am somewhat familiar with the area.

I am interested in living close to work, preferably within walking distance, but a short (10 minute...dilworth? noda?) drive would be ok too... 1 or 2 bedrooms, no more than 1100 a month. I've looked at some properties' websites and theyre asking like 1200+. Is this what is to be expected? I am a 23 year old female and I'd like somewhere that's relatively safe that comes with a parking space. I'm also open to a bungalow-type thing.

Oh, and my employer suggested corporate housing while I get settled, but from what I've found its ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by xie; 06-06-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM

73 posts, read 467,795 times
I would check out Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Dilworth. NoDa still has some more serious crime issues, but a lot of young professionals live there and love it. I moved here when I was 23 and started renting in Elizabeth for a 1 bedroom for about $700. That was 7 years ago and I know prices have gone up...but I still live in Elizabeth and love it. Great place to be (Plaza Midwood too) as a young professional on your own to meet other young people. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
I thought that Plaza/Midwood was sort of risky crime wise?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I thought that Plaza/Midwood was sort of risky crime wise?
Depends on what specific part...Many of my coworkers live there and love it and haven't had problems. I might feel safer there right now than SE Charlotte and Ballantyne.

Last edited by groove1; 06-06-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
You can also check out the everlasting famous Martha Washington Apartments. These have been around forever. They are not the hipest, but they are located right in the middle of Elizabeth and are very reasonably priced.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
What are your interests? Are you only looking for renting a house or apts ok? If you are going to work uptown, unless you live uptown, I would not recommend walking, you may bus, light rail or drive. Charlotte is not Bike friendly either

Luckily if you live on the outskirts, you won't be more than 15/20 min from uptown.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm open to either a house or an apt, price and location are my main variables. I'd like to be somewhere "young."

I like some of the old mill apartment complexes, as well as some of the newer ones uptown, since the latter are literally about 3 blocks from my office.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Yes those prices are accurate for Uptown...$1,000 for a 1 bedroom is not uncommon. I would bite the bullet and live Uptown so you could walk to work, grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, clubs, etc...you can walk just about everywhere if you live Uptown & work Uptown.. You will save on gas money & high parking prices to park Uptown if your employeer doesn't provide parking too. Uptown is VERY safe to live in.

I lived in 4th Ward for 7 years now and LOVE living Uptown.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM

327 posts, read 1,197,239 times
I would also suggest living uptown if you can afford it. Dilworth/south end will also serve you well. South End is the area close in to uptown and along South Blvd. It is undergoing some serious revitalization. Plenty of old buildings being converted to apts. and it has the light rail, so you wouldn't have to drive. I've lived in Plaza/Midwood before and love it. Just be sure to get a place in the middle of Midwood around Nassau, Kenworth, etc. The Thomas Street side of The Plaza backs up to some less desirable neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I've been obsessively looking at craigslist and its so hard to know what is in an ok neighborhood without knowing where the "boundaries" are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: