Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,570,475 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I was posting and just in a looking stage and to my surprise, it looks like my house in the north east will be in a bidding war starting tomorrow.

We are looking in the Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson areas.

I would like to know about the Huntervsville School District and what are the best districts in the area - especially from those of you who have children. Right now, my concern would be at the elementary level.

Subdivisions - I know there are tons of them out there! Any feedback on Tanner's Creak, Village at Rosedale, Crosswinds, or any others pros and cons.

We are boaters, so being relatively close to Lake Norman is somewhat a concern. After speaking to someone that boats on Lake Norman, I find that there are bridges and you have to be concerned with the height of the boat to access certain areas.

Any information, good or bad, would be extremely helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks!

BlueDiamond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,226,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post

We are boaters, so being relatively close to Lake Norman is somewhat a concern. After speaking to someone that boats on Lake Norman, I find that there are bridges and you have to be concerned with the height of the boat to access certain areas.....!
This is very true. You didn't mention what kind of boat you are talking about but a boat with a ski rack or a pontoon boat with a fixed roof will be very challenged to get under some of the bridges that cross the upper half of the lake. The 3 bridges that cross the main channel are not a problem, but the rest are scary if not impassable for such boats if the lake is relatively full. Forget it if you have something like a cabin cruiser. BTW, Lake Norman, as with the other lakes in the area, are no wake speed at any bridge crossing.

Lake Norman is a man made lake and as a result tends to be full of surprises with shoals, sand bars, and very shallow coves where you can easily beach yourself , especially if you have a big boat and we are in drought conditions. if you observe the channel markers will be OK, but it's amazing how many people are on that lake that have no idea what those signs mean until they get their prop or worse their out drive knocked off. Summer weekends are mayhem on the South end of the lake so if you are not into that sort of thing, you might want to consider boating up in the North or on the river instead.

Last edited by lumbollo; 06-26-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,570,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is very true. You didn't mention what kind of boat you are talking about but a boat with a ski rack or a pontoon boat with a fixed roof will be very challenged to get under some of the bridges that cross the upper half of the lake. The 3 bridges that cross the main channel are not a problem, but the rest are scary if not impassable for such boats if the lake is relatively full. Forget it if you have something like a cabin cruiser. BTW, Lake Norman, as with the other lakes in the area, are no wake speed at any bridge crossing.

Lake Norman is a man made lake and as a result tends to be full of surprises with shoals, sand bars, and very shallow coves where you can easily beach yourself , especially if you have a big boat and we are in drought conditions. if you observe the channel markers will be OK, but it's amazing how many people are on that lake that have no idea what those signs mean until they get their prop or worse their out drive knocked off. Summer weekends are mayhem on the South end of the lake so if you are not into that sort of thing, you might want to consider boating up in the North or on the river instead.

Hi Lumbollo,

22 foot pontoon with 2 biminki tops. However what seems to be a real issue is the school district. We have been boating for about 6 years now. Summers are rough too, especially on the weekends where we are now, and the lake we are on is only 52 acres of shoreline.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,226,106 times
Yeah, you will have problems with some of the bridges unless it is relatively easy to drop the tops. It might also mean no standing on a pontoon boat with a couple of the bridges. (admittedly, I'm not sure how much higher a pontoon is over something like a bowrider.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte