Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_123 View Post
Swampfoxer,

Do you drive to Columbus? If so, how long does it usually take you? We are driving down when we come this weekend.

Columbus is not a horrible place just not a good fit for us. I hate the Winter time up here.
I'm originally from Columbus. It takes about seven hours from Charlotte, and is the most boring drive imaginable. I dread it every time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM

15 posts, read 19,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm originally from Columbus. It takes about seven hours from Charlotte, and is the most boring drive imaginable. I dread it every time!
I was figuring 7 hours or so.

How do you like Charlotte compared to Columbus?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Quote:
I was figuring 7 hours or so.

How do you like Charlotte compared to Columbus?
I'm probably not a good one to ask. I don't love Charlotte. The weather here is amazing, and it's a very pretty city with plenty of things to do, but it's very different from Columbus in a lot of ways. We are planning on moving within the next couple of years, but in the meantime I do enjoy being in the middle of it all. Charlotte is in the perfect part of the country from which to escape. The airport is easy, and there are a zillion options within a decent drive time. Beach, mountains, large East coast cities, southern towns, etc.

I don't want to take your thread OT, so if you are interested in my opinion, send me a DM. If you are from the south originally you may like Charlotte better than Columbus.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
Quote:
Swampfoxer,

Do you drive to Columbus? If so, how long does it usually take you? We are driving down when we come this weekend.

Columbus is not a horrible place just not a good fit for us. I hate the Winter time up here.
I usually fly but have driven quite a few times. About 7-8 hours typically, depending on how often you stop, etc. The best way is I-70 east to I-77 south which takes you right in to uptown Charlotte. Take the West Trade St exit since you're staying uptown.

My sister really hates the winters in Columbus but has adjusted over the years. Most people move to Charlotte because of the weather (although I am typing this in the middle of a huge thunder/hail storm, lol), the proximity to the coast & mountains, and the business climate. It still has that southern hospitality but it's not as prevalent as it was 20+ years ago. You can still get friendly smiles or nods from people if you're walking through a park or shopping center, unlike many other cities. All in all, it's a good place to live (been here 45 years) but it's not for everyone.

Definitely go to the Whitewater Center. Plan to each lunch there too. They have a great restaurant that overlooks the rapids.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And yes! I remember that glass box. Do you remember Stowe's fish camp?
Yes I do but since we always ate at Linebergers I don't actually remember much about eating at Stowes. It's been a very long time.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm probably not a good one to ask. I don't love Charlotte. The weather here is amazing, and it's a very pretty city with plenty of things to do, but it's very different from Columbus in a lot of ways. We are planning on moving within the next couple of years, but in the meantime I do enjoy being in the middle of it all. Charlotte is in the perfect part of the country from which to escape. The airport is easy, and there are a zillion options within a decent drive time. Beach, mountains, large East coast cities, southern towns, etc.

I don't want to take your thread OT, so if you are interested in my opinion, send me a DM. If you are from the south originally you may like Charlotte better than Columbus.

No it's ok, I was just wondering. Just not enough to do here in Columbus in my opinion. Family distance restricts us to go much further than Charlotte or we would consider FL and opening up shop on the water.

Back to the Charlotte Trip...

Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's good, as uptown is a very central location and you can branch off to see the areas I mentioned pretty easily.

Huntersville is straight up I77 north of uptown. Explore both sides of the interstate from exit 23 to exit 25 and you'll get a feel for Huntersville. Too many nice neighborhoods here to really recommend any in particular.

Steele Creek is straight down I77 southwest of uptown. Get off on I45 heading west and take the South Tryon exit - turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Follow S. Tryon (also called hwy 49) all the way to the Buster Boyd Bridge (which is the state line) to get a feel for the general Steele Creek area. Check out McDowell Nature Preserve right before the bridge, it's a lovely park on the lake.

Fort Mill is further south down I77 from uptown. Take exit 88 (Gold Hill Rd) off of I77. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp. After Gold Hill intersects with hwy 160 (continue straight) you will enter the lovely little lake community of Tega Cay. After you explore Tega Cay (try to find the park on the lake, it's really pretty) make you way back to the intersection with hwy 160 and take a right on hwy 160 (if you go left, you will wind up back in Steele Creek ). Follow hwy 160 to get a good feel for Fort Mill. Travel over the interstate and you'll wind your way into old downtown.

Back in uptown, find your way to 7th Street (will be called Monroe Rd as it moves away from uptown.) Follow this all the way to the center of old downtown Matthews (Monroe Rd changes names to W. John St here). Take a right on S. Trade St in the heart of Matthews. Follow S. Trade to see the town ball fields and some neighborhoods. If you take a right on Weddington Rd you will wind your way into Union County and can see the very nice Siskey YMCA (very popular) just after you ride over I485, along with nice neighborhoods along the way.

Try to see Mint Hill when you are done with Matthews. Make your way back to the center of Matthews where West John St. and S. Trade intersect. You will be on S. Trade, so go thru the intersection with W. John and you'll then be on N. Trade St. This will allow you to see the other side of old downtown. Take a right immediately after you cross the rail road tracks to see the town library and other newer retail shops. You'll go around a round about then find you way back to N. Trade. Take a right onto N. Trade, go thru one redlight and the road name changes to Sam Newell Rd.

Follow Sam Newell to the next redlight and take a right onto Matthews Township Parkway. You will pass the hospital complex (Presbyterian Hospital) and then get into the larger retail area (Target, Home Depot, etc). Just continue to follow Matthews Township Parkway and it will bcome Matthews Mint Hill Rd.

In a few miles this will lead you to the heart of Mint Hill. At the intersection of Matthews Mint Hll Rd and Lawyers Rd go left or right to just to see some of the neighborhoods. But if you take a right at that point you will come to I485. Take that toward Matthews (enter the ramp to the right). You can either get off I485 onto hwy 74/Independence Blvd to find your way back uptown, or go an exit further to the Matthews exit and find you way back on John Street where you can retrace your route back to uptown by following it until it becomes Monroe Rd again and then 7th St. near uptown.

There are of course MANY other areas of the city to see. These recommendations are just some of the best for homes in your price range.

Have a great trip!
Is this a order to visit these places?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Is this a order to visit these places?

Just answering your question

You said, "What are some good Area's to live in? Let's put a price of 200K - 275K on the home."

Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Alright this is what I have so far. Feel free to help me add to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post

Definitely go to the Whitewater Center. Plan to each lunch there too. They have a great restaurant that overlooks the rapids.

Whitewater Center
EpiCenter
Southpark
Freedom Park
Steele Creek Area?
McDowell Nature Preserve?

Is the South part of the City preferred in general over the north? I don't want to live in the Uptown area not my thing. I like visiting in the heart of things but enjoy my peace and quite when I'm home.

Could Someone tell me the location of these places so I can find them on the map.

Waxhaw
Matthews
Mint Hill
Huntersville
Steele Creek
Fort Mill, SC -
Mooresville? Possibly

Restaurants:

Mac's Speedshop
Tavern on the Tracks ??
Ri-Ra’s Irish Pub??
Wooden Vine - Is this a casual laid back environment?
Blue - is that the full name?
amelie's ???
anntony's caribbean
kabob grill in Dilworth
Merts ???
cajun queen out on 7th
revolution pizza in noda (where is Noda?)
win Tops Fish Camp in outer Belmont
Amberjack

I don't Know if we will make it to all those food spot but I like having a good selection.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
Quote:
Is the South part of the City preferred in general over the north?
YES! Although every quadrant of Charlotte has some desirable neighborhoods, South Charlotte has the largest percentage of nice neighborhoods. Southend, Dilworth, Sedgfield, Southpark, Ballantyne, Piper Glen are considered "South Charlotte", although Southend & Dilworth are on the southern fringe of uptown.

Since you are staying uptown, consider riding the Lynx light rail line into Southend where you can get off at the Bland St station for restaurants. Tavern on the Tracks is very close to that station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte