Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

34 posts, read 99,491 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of bringing the family out for a visit over the 4th of July week. I think it could be fun! What kinds of 'goings on' do you guys have for the 4th?

TIA!

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,362 times
Default Fourth of July, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSch View Post
We were thinking of bringing the family out for a visit over the 4th of July week. I think it could be fun! What kinds of 'goings on' do you guys have for the 4th?

TIA!

Terri
Some of our favorite things to do:

Town of Waxhaw 4th of July Parade (see pictures on their website). Activities for the whole family all day. Last year they even had a very nice fireworks display in the evening.
http://waxhaw.com/nav.cfm?cat=18&subcat=86&subsub=63 (broken link)

Also, last year radio station FM 91.9 put on a great outdoor concert with fireworks at Knight's Stadium. I just heard them promoting that this year's concert will be on June 30. Check out their website as we get closer for more info: http://www.newlife919.com/

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSch View Post

TIA!

Terri

Hey there Terri-if you don't mind taking a short little drive over into SC...4th of July is a big tadoo in Tega Cay. It is a day that we not only celebrate our country...but it also marks the anniversary that Tega Cay became a city (and this year will be even more special as it will be our 25th!)

Here are some of the things we have going on during the day (and evening)

Golf Tournament at the Tega Cay Golf Club (morning)
Birthday Concert (evening)
Windjammer Party (during the day) includes a Canoe Joust, Ski Show and a Boat Parade (Shuttles will be provided at Turner Field)
Tega Cay Land Parade (morning)
Lion's Fish Fry (late afternoon/early evening)

-and we end the evening by bringing lawn chairs over to the Tega Cay Golf Clubhouse (sit out on the lawn) and watch the incredible display of Fireworks!

Love to have you!

Firework Shows are also at Knights Stadium in Fort Mill, SC and at the Buster Boyd Bridge/Lake Wylie.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:03 PM

124 posts, read 168,208 times
Nothing like Knights baseball and fireworks! Be prepared for crowds, though.

Fireworks at Lake Norman, too.

Don't know if there will be another uptown debacle....I am usually Little Miss Uptown, but even I stay away after what happened the past few years.

Oh, Carowinds usually does fireworks. What a great time with kids-- a big amusement park and fireworks. Stay hydrated, though-- I almost fainted in line one July 4th because of the heat!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
We take the boat out on the lake and float in the middle and then get surrounded by fireworks.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,296 times
Default Charlotte?

All guys, I am from the fireworkstown of China. I try to know that the Charlotte is the fireworks center of North Carolina or not? And every year will hold a fireworks display show on July 4th?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times
Im not sure if the fireworks will be held in uptown Charlotte this year. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Charlotte quit doing it because the past few years in a row riot situations occurred in uptown Charlotte with thugs shooting their own fireworks into crowds, fighting, uncotrollable crowds, and even last year or the year before a man was shot in the face with a handgun. Used to be nice, but for some reason the past few years it just went down hill quick. Most of the thugs were teens as well. Also the local AM station WBT who sponsored them moved their skyshow from Charlotte to Knights Stadium which is alot better I hear, so go there for a good show.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,362 times
You might like to try "Pops In the Park" at SouthPark Mall. I found this review:

"Come June, the SouthPark area comes alive with strains of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart drifting through the air. Now celebrating its 12th anniversary, the Pops in the Park is one of the most anticipated events of the summer.

This well-attended event is held on the grounds of SouthPark Mall at the covered amphitheater. The Charlotte Symphony performs free concerts each Sunday in June for more than 10,000 grateful fans. In the past, the symphony has performed programs featuring the classic masters, such as Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, and Girshwin just to name a few. They typically have a program featuring Broadway tunes, always my favorite. The last event is usually a performance of patriotic pieces and fireworks, just in time for the coming 4th of July celebration.

The crowds here are very large and diverse. You will find families in blue jeans with a picnic basket, a cooler, and blankets on the ground to couples dressed in designer labels, hats, and Gucci glasses, all the while sipping on a nice Chardonnay and a spread of upscale goodies laid out on stylish tables. The atmosphere is almost that of a tailgating party, only offering more of an air of refinement befitting classic works by the masters. Many people bring coolers and picnic baskets, while some of the local restaurants offer brown-bag meals and already-made picnic baskets. You just provide the blanket.

Should you wish a location close to the stage, you would be wise to come down early in the day and secure a spot with your blanket, beach towel, or chairs. Otherwise, you should be here no later than 6pm. However, if you wait too late, you will be glad to know that this incredible symphony can be heard from anywhere near the mall area.

VISA and the Charlotte Symphony host this yearly event as a way to raise awareness of the orchestra and to thank the community for their support. For many years, the symphony performed on a stage set up every year for its use. In 2002, a permanent amphitheater surrounded by a beautiful duck pond was built.

The symphony was founded in 1932 by Spanish conductor and composer Guillermo de Roxlo and continues to be one of the foremost symphonies throughout the Southeast. This 100-piece company performs more than 100 concerts a year to more than 250,000 patrons. We are very blessed in this region to have a company of such caliber.

The symphony performs every Sunday in June. The prelude starts at 7:15pm, and then at 8pm, the Charlotte Symphony brings their immeasurable flair to the stage. They also perform on Fridays and Saturdays at various places throughout the area. For more information, please go to www.charlottesymphony.org. There is no better way than to spend a Sunday under the stars while strains of exquisite music smooths away your cares. So, if you’re here in June, make sure to join us!"

Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM

49 posts, read 230,974 times
Default June & Pops in the Park

The last few years Pops has become more of a social than an entertainment event. People attend and socialize, talking rather than listening. Younger people tend to be less interested in the music than in the social aspects of attending.

The music is terrific if you can get adjacent groups to shut the hell up! People watching is also part of the entertainment. I tend to be somewhat vocal about good manners and have offended some rude people who didn't understand why my friends and I were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte