Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by printingray View Post
Dogs have several reasons to bark. Some dogs are bred to bark. It is natural for a dog to bark when he feel someone stranger around your main door or car. One common thing in young dogs (puppies) is to bark with excitement or sometimes your dog barks to grasp your attention. To prevent excessive barking of your dog, you should ignore his barking or if possible, leave him alone for a certain period and ignore him totally. Shouting at the dog can't stop them but they can get encouraged bu that. Teach them the commands when to bark or keep silent. Examine that either your dog is getting mental exercise daily as dogs often bark due to frustration.
I walk my ferret, around the neighborhood, at night, on my 3 nights off (I work the nightshift, up all night 7 days a week), and being that ferrets are heat-sensitive/nocturnal, I will only leash-walk him at the coolest part of the night in summer, for a couple hours, oftentimes around 2-3-4am. I wear tennis shoes and my ferret makes no noise at all, and we try to be as quiet and respectful as possible, but little good does that do!!!

The hearing of dogs must be extremely keen, as it mystifies me as to how a dog could hear us passing thru the neighborhood (dogs behind cinder block walls where they can't even see us!), and then, when one starts to barking, other dogs in the neighborhood join in as well!

Sometimes, all it can take is the crunching of gravel or stepping on a crisp leaf and off they go!

I'll never understand why dogs aren't more discriminatory, intelligent, to discriminate over whether or not I pose a threat to their home. Now I see from reading some of these barking threads, there's other reasons.

National Geographic did a spread on dogs, sometime ago, and there was this one dog from Asia, a very rare breed of dog, perhaps not the best-looking dog, that doesn't bark at all, it can't! But I can't remember the name of the dog. If I ever buy a dog, that's the breed I'll buy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I walk my ferret, around the neighborhood, at night, on my 3 nights off (I work the nightshift, up all night 7 days a week), and being that ferrets are heat-sensitive/nocturnal, I will only leash-walk him at the coolest part of the night in summer, for a couple hours, oftentimes around 2-3-4am. I wear tennis shoes and my ferret makes no noise at all, and we try to be as quiet and respectful as possible, but little good does that do!!!

The hearing of dogs must be extremely keen, as it mystifies me as to how a dog could hear us passing thru the neighborhood (dogs behind cinder block walls where they can't even see us!), and then, when one starts to barking, other dogs in the neighborhood join in as well!

Sometimes, all it can take is the crunching of gravel or stepping on a crisp leaf and off they go!

I'll never understand why dogs aren't more discriminatory, intelligent, to discriminate over whether or not I pose a threat to their home. Now I see from reading some of these barking threads, there's other reasons.

National Geographic did a spread on dogs, sometime ago, and there was this one dog from Asia, a very rare breed of dog, perhaps not the best-looking dog, that doesn't bark at all, it can't! But I can't remember the name of the dog. If I ever buy a dog, that's the breed I'll buy!
LOL that's so CUTE walking the ferret. He's so lucky!

They smell him long before you crunch the gravel. Dogs smell cancer in human bodies, they also can smell ferrets a distance away. And yeah, the chain reaction barking is communication.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM

315 posts, read 563,884 times
I have a beagle mix, so you can imagine the barking that goes on in my house.

I don't have much advice for training but I do have to warn you, lately in my area, dogs have been getting stolen left and right. They are trying to sell these stolen dogs on craigslist and all that. But your dog, being part Bulldog, could be stolen for fighting dog purposes. I'm not saying it will happen but it's just plain irresponsible to keep your dog outside when you can't watch him. Is he a completely outside dog? If he's inside when you're home, then why can't he be inside in a crate when you're not home?

I'm not trying to be rude or critical, but that sounds like the best option. What your dog is doing is becoming protective of your property, which isn't safe for anyone.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL that's so CUTE walking the ferret. He's so lucky!

They smell him long before you crunch the gravel. Dogs smell cancer in human bodies, they also can smell ferrets a distance away. And yeah, the chain reaction barking is communication.
That's over the top!!! So these precautions, of walking my ferret around the neighborhood at 2-3-4am, and trying to be as quiet and respectful as possible, is an exercise in futility, as dogs can smell my ferret a distance away! Incredible!!!

Many times, we meet up with cats on our walks, but apparently, the smell of cats doesn't set them off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs