Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,610,778 times

Advertisements

Have you tried a citronella bark collar? I have always asked my neighbors to tell me if the dogs bark when I am gone as they have a dog door out to the patio. After I got Chaos a neighbor said she was barking a a lot so I thanked her for telling me and told her I would try a citronella bark collar and needed her to tell me if it was working or not. Report has been that it is silent at my place now. I put it on only when I go out but now even when I am home she will not bark.

She recently started barking the minute we walk out the door to go someplace just in case there was something to bark at and that cattle dog blood makes her see everything out there then bark at it, also bark in the car so I made her wear the collar a few times when we go out and in the car. She does not wear it now when we go out but she has remained pretty quiet and if she does start all I have to ask is "do you want the Barkey collar?" and she quiets right down. I had to use it years ago on Jazz and it worked so well with her that I bought a remote citronella collar to stop some of her bad behavior in the outside world such as racing around my parents pool barking hysterically at my young nephews in the pool and trying to pull them out, it took two corrections and she never acted like that again, yes she always still kept a close eye on them in the pool but she remained calmer , did not bark and did not grab at them. Most behaviors I use positive training but some like the barking and the pool behavior had to be corrected quick so the citronella collar did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,447,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working mom of 3 View Post
I'm not talking bout the neighbors feeling threatened. Talking about my dog feeling threatened. The dog bring outside isn't the issue. She is socialized. She doesn't bark randomly. She barks at ONE neighbor. I want advice on how to TRAIN her.
Well, here's some suggestions my grandfather used in a similar situation.

His next-door neighbor kept hunting hounds --2 in a pen right next to his fence. The dogs would go nuts barking and growling at Grandpa. Then, one day he had some leftover meat--mostly fat, and fed it to them. They simmered down. Then he bought some more meat and tossed it to them. He also had his neighbor take some old, soiled clothing and pet the dogs with his scent. The dogs slowly came around.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,407,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, here's some suggestions my grandfather used in a similar situation.

His next-door neighbor kept hunting hounds --2 in a pen right next to his fence. The dogs would go nuts barking and growling at Grandpa. Then, one day he had some leftover meat--mostly fat, and fed it to them. They simmered down. Then he bought some more meat and tossed it to them. He also had his neighbor take some old, soiled clothing and pet the dogs with his scent. The dogs slowly came around.
That is to bad....your grandpa ruined the dogs.

A hound's voice is very important to a hunt in a real hunt and a big part of the score in competition.

Their bay at the tree has to be different from the run.

I was surprised when Rip developed his running voice.

Also, they have to ignore bear bait. Not even smell grease, cakes, all kinds of sweets and bread.

I have three hounds in my yard on tie outs and they sing to me all day.

At night they go in their kennel and to bed.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM

I will say people buying hounds should be mindful of their neighborhood and any ordinances.

We live back on one hundred acres with state land on two sides.

Our nearest neighbor is six miles away.

They still hear our dogs.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM

squirrel hunt with a treeing walker - YouTube

I found an interesting video.

The hunter knows the dog has treed her prey by the sound of the dog's voice.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Diller I think of you and your dogs on our morning walks as the wilderness area on the ocean bluffs is where we walk as it is leash free and there is a man with a young coonhound and the minute we get out of the car I know if they are there as I hear the hound! He always has some critter in the bushes or up a tree. Chaos and Dazzle sometimes go check him out but soon are bored with that crazy barking hound as he ignores them and they want another dog to play "chase Dazzle" as that is their favorite game up there. Being a sighthound Dazzle has lots of room and takes off full speed with a gang of dogs behind him all determined to catch "speedy". In and out of bushes he races being the lure in his own version of lure coursing. and the coonhound well he is still barking in the distance!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Diller I think of you and your dogs on our morning walks as the wilderness area on the ocean bluffs is where we walk as it is leash free and there is a man with a young coonhound and the minute we get out of the car I know if they are there as I hear the hound! He always has some critter in the bushes or up a tree. Chaos and Dazzle sometimes go check him out but soon are bored with that crazy barking hound as he ignores them and they want another dog to play "chase Dazzle" as that is their favorite game up there. Being a sighthound Dazzle has lots of room and takes off full speed with a gang of dogs behind him all determined to catch "speedy". In and out of bushes he races being the lure in his own version of lure coursing. and the coonhound well he is still barking in the distance!
Wow....how nice!!!!!!!

Yep, when the hound bays up on a prey, it does not stop.

That is why their collars have two places to clip leads.

At the tree they have to be tried back ASAP.

Many dogs have died from bears falling on them or, coming back down the tree to fight.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM

675 posts, read 1,819,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Related story, my dog barks every once in a while at joggers (weird, he doesn't bark at walkers) and of course other dogs walking by. We have a law in our community that your dog should not be barking outside for more than 15 minutes or you can be fined or worse. We seriously only let him bark for 30 seconds max most of the time. One time I didn't hear him and my wife was busy and didn't get him in. Neighbor calls me up and complains. I'm like, I'm sorry-you're right I'll get him in right away.

Now these people are not saints. They have a hottub house right by the fence and they like to drink and party. Sometimes 2AM I'll hear them but just close the window and listen to my ipod. I'm not a complainer.

Well, last week my dog barked a little for maybe 1 minute and he calls me up so I went off on him. Told "well Drunky the Clown, the next time I hear you and your Valley Girl voice wife out in the hottub I will be calling the police. So if you are going to b*tch at your neighbors you better right your own ship first." That shut him up LOL.

This was a good lesson for me too. Some people don't appreciate anything. I've helped these people out so many times. When he installed his fence he hit his underground sprinkling lines like 10 times. I helped him fix all of that. Fixed his AC unit for him. Took care of his house when he was out of town. Blew the 3 feet of snow off his driveway last winter when he was in Florida. Ridiculous.
Good one

Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow....how nice!!!!!!!

Yep, when the hound bays up on a prey, it does not stop.

That is why their collars have two places to clip leads.

At the tree they have to be tried back ASAP.

Many dogs have died from bears falling on them or, coming back down the tree to fight.

Wow, I am enjoying learning about the scent hounds and I had no idea about bears falling out of trees onto them yipes!!

One day the hound I mentioned went down the bluffs and you could hear him and everyone was thinking he was stuck down there, Chaos ventured down and when she came up the hound was right with her but stopped looked at us and decided barking down on the bluffs was more fun. Owners wife was with the dog that day and she was off waking the other dog as I think she felt she can hear him so she knows he is there. People kept stopping and wondering is that dog stuck down there? I would tell them he can get back up he is just having too much fun. Next day I heard that someone freaked out called animal control and they sent out the fire department rescue team who went down the bluffs and brought the dog up even though they too felt he could get up on hs own! Every now and then they do have to do a real cliff rescue of a dog so I guess they saw it as practice. Haven't seen the guys wife walking the dog since but he and the dog are there most mornings. I think if people understood hounds and the barking more they would have known he was not distressed just having fun.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,625,577 times
So funny about the hounds. I don't know my dog's breed (s) but she makes that crazy noise when she trees squirrels too. I think my dog is part Carolina Dog, part who knows. I like to give my yard squirrels a fair shot, so I keep my dog on leash until the squirrels (there are zillions) are at least close to the trees.

I feel like my dog would run on a broken leg after a squirrel. Or a deer, but I don't have them in my yard. She almost caught two squirrels but they got away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs