Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,676,449 times

Advertisements

It's not a criticism - the dog outside in the yard all day is going to bark at them. You have to keep the dog inside or do a privacy fence (but she can still hear them). Why can't the dog be inside? You'll probably be more successful adjusting the inside than making her stop barking outside.

Some dogs just do that. My neighbor's dog barked like crazy when I moved in and he was alone outside all day. Then once he got to know me he stopped. But sometimes my neighbor would keep a friend's dog in the yard with his dog, and the other dog barked nonstop (so they both did). There was no shutting up that dog.

I think you need to work on keeping the dog inside because what if your neighbors call animal control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,517,214 times
We really aren't criticising. It just sounds like the dog would be better off in the house. What is the reason she "can't" be inside?
Does your neighbor like dogs? Are the two of you friendly? If s/he spent a lot of time with the dog, it would help with her barking at the neighbor, but it's not going to help with other people who walk by. And it doesn't help that she's a bully breed. Many people feel more threatened by a "pit bull type dog" (I have two pit bulls). That can take it beyond the annoyance factor.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,440,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working mom of 3 View Post
She consistently barks at the neighbor through the fence... How long does it usually take to train or any other suggestions.
Training will take long enough that you are being unfair to your neighbor (as well as anyone else who has to listen to the dog bark) and putting your dog at risk by leaving her out alone.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,388,528 times
Quote:
I have an American bulldog mix that I rescued from a shelter. She consistently barks at the neighbor through the fence. She obeys pretty well with most commands except this. Neighbors complaining and I understand but I am trying. Used a bark collar but it hurt her so I threw it in garbage. I work full time so can't always be home. Have been trying treats with command quiet but I feel like I can't leave house or that I should constantly be watching her waiting for her to bark. How long does it usually take to train or any other suggestions.
Do you have her inside when you go to work?? I hope. Does she bark at people she knows??? Can you introduce her to the neighbors?? They have little whistles, and other contraptions to help w/ barking. I hope you keep trying.....you can probably get tickets for your barking dog w/ enough complaints....also if you rent you could really be in trouble eventually.
You have to keep trying...all you can do. I immediately bring my dog in the house when she is barking for nothing. I think a constantly barking dog is such a nusiance...one of my pet peeves.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking bout the neighbors feeling threatened. Talking about my dog feeling threatened. The dog bring outside isn't the issue. She is socialized. She doesn't bark randomly. She barks at ONE neighbor. I want advice on how to TRAIN her.
Just saw this. So, you'll need to contact a trainer. I still think you need to keep her inside but either way you'd need a trainer.

I don't know where you live, but the American Pet Dog Trainers association always had good trainers - here's the search page:

Dog Trainer Search

Her being outside really is part of the issue - but, it can be minimized if the neighbor is a dog lover and works with you on this. Hopefully you have a good relationship with this person. I was able to stop the neighbor's dog from barking within a week, but that was one specific dog. He responded well to "no" and responded very well to praise when he stopped barking. I work from home, so it was a must to get him to stop and I really didn't want to talk to the neighbor about it as I'd just moved in and I love dogs.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 24,248 times
She can't be in the house because I dnt own. She doesn't bark at people passing. I have neighbors on 3 sides of me. She only barks at 1. They have a tiny dog. She doesn't bark when it's the only one outside. She just barks at the people that live there. I asked to introduce my dog to them and am waiting for a response. I love my dogs. My other dog doesn't bark at all. I am trying. I want to be a good neighbor.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 24,248 times
I dnt knw anything about her past. I got her from a shelter. My other dog got when baby. I just want help. I am willing to put in the work. Just want someone to tell me the correct way to teach her. I live in a small town. Am searching for obedience class but Havnt found one yet.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 PM

809 posts, read 2,196,782 times
I have read the entire thread and didn't see anything that even remotely was criticism. I read many very good suggestions and I'm sorry you seem to be reading these suggestions as being critical.

You asked for help and posters responded. When asking for help, listen to those of us that KNOW instead of taking it personally (no disrespect intended).

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that you are not willing to take advice but make excuses. We've some incredibly intelligent dog owners here. So, maybe you can take their advice or not. It's up to you.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Check out the link I posted above - you'll be able to find an obedience class there, but you probably need a trainer to come over because dogs can't generalize well so you'll need to do the training on site. It's good they have a dog and like dogs, that's helpful. Maybe you could pay for the private training session but your neighbor can participate, and you all can teach your dog a command using treats as positive reinforcement (only treat when quiet, not when barking). I have a feeling that you can overcome this but you'll need a trainer for sure.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,772,724 times
Train Your Dog to Stop Barking

Barking: How to Get Your Dog to Quiet Down : The Humane Society of the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs