Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM

287 posts, read 897,317 times

Advertisements

I recently got my first dog in 25 years! I'm so happy, he's a 2 year old Great Pyrenees mixed. SO FAR he seems to be a great dog. BUT he does have this barking problem. To get him to quit barking when he was in the yard with me I sprayed him in the face with the hose every time he barked saying "no bark". It worked like a charm. So I don't worry about the barking when I'm IN the yard with him. But at night when he's alone, or during the day when I'm not around or am inside, he barks non stop. If the neighbor's dogs aren't barking he "incites" them to bark. He looks for things to bark at. And its not the lonely kind of bark.

To give some background: I got him from someone who rescues dogs from the Humane Society's euthanasia list. So he was around lots of dogs and seemed very content. Of course I felt bad about taking him from this great environment but in order for more dogs to be saved they have to be adopted out. And apparently he had a barking problem with the previous owners and that's why they gave him up (and I didn't find this out until the last minute & I was already in love with him. And I understand that many adult dogs being adopted out have at least one bad habit).

I also walk & bike him at least 2x a day for at least an hour or more. When I REALLY work him he seems ok for a little longer than usual. The only time he's alone is during the day (we've been keeping him inside) and, of course, at night. I've even brought him into the bedroom with me by my bed just so I can sleep (have I mentioned that I'm sleep deprived and I'm now getting sick?) and this just makes him worse. I understand that he's probably feeling lonely for the pack (he was with her for 5 months), and the change has most likely made him feel anxious.

The hair, the slobber & the exercise I can deal with but sleepless nights & angry neighbors I can't

Any good suggestions to keep him from barking when we aren't around? Thank you!! (sorry for the length"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
I recently got my first dog in 25 years! I'm so happy, he's a 2 year old Great Pyrenees mixed. SO FAR he seems to be a great dog. BUT he does have this barking problem. To get him to quit barking when he was in the yard with me I sprayed him in the face with the hose every time he barked saying "no bark". It worked like a charm. So I don't worry about the barking when I'm IN the yard with him. But at night when he's alone, or during the day when I'm not around or am inside, he barks non stop. If the neighbor's dogs aren't barking he "incites" them to bark. He looks for things to bark at. And its not the lonely kind of bark.

To give some background: I got him from someone who rescues dogs from the Humane Society's euthanasia list. So he was around lots of dogs and seemed very content. Of course I felt bad about taking him from this great environment but in order for more dogs to be saved they have to be adopted out. And apparently he had a barking problem with the previous owners and that's why they gave him up (and I didn't find this out until the last minute & I was already in love with him. And I understand that many adult dogs being adopted out have at least one bad habit).

I also walk & bike him at least 2x a day for at least an hour or more. When I REALLY work him he seems ok for a little longer than usual. The only time he's alone is during the day (we've been keeping him inside) and, of course, at night. I've even brought him into the bedroom with me by my bed just so I can sleep (have I mentioned that I'm sleep deprived and I'm now getting sick?) and this just makes him worse. I understand that he's probably feeling lonely for the pack (he was with her for 5 months), and the change has most likely made him feel anxious.

The hair, the slobber & the exercise I can deal with but sleepless nights & angry neighbors I can't

Any good suggestions to keep him from barking when we aren't around? Thank you!! (sorry for the length"
Maybe he needs a friend! You might need to get another dog if he was with a big pack. Sounds like he is lonely. A relative of mine always adopted that mix of dog and she always had two. They seem to bond with each other more so than other breeds for some reason. they are great dogs, I would not give up on him.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Hi Blondie621, I suggested that to my husband, too, and he about had a cow. This guy is large, 70 pounds, and takes up so much as it is. Although I do agree. I was thinking about asking my neighbor to "lend" me his dog so I can let them play in the back yard together. I already know he's good with other dogs and he's really missing a "pack".

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times
My sister adopted a dog that once she got him home found out he is a "talker". This was a bit of a problem considering she lives in a condo. The first night she had him home he had barking fits in response to any noise he heard. This went on all night and for the first few weeks she got little sleep.

She opted to use a Citronella Collar in addition to obedience training, exersize, and doggie day care. At day care he has to wear a safety collar so he can't wear the Citronella collar - the staff report he barks most of the day and during nap time unless someone (human) sits with him. This was a dog who was crated 14 hours a day for the first 4 years of his life. He was relinquished in October 2007 and she adopted him in December 2007. He lived in a house with his foster parent and foster brother from the time he was relinqueshed to the time she adopted him. He has improved due to her interventions, but will probably always be a talker and will require consistent work in this area. The good news is she sleeps through the night and the neighbors are no longer annoyed. He seems to know she doesn't want him to bark for no reason and she can actually observe him trying to curb his own barking. Her dog's barking behavior seems a little OCD and anxiety based to me. These dogs need time to transition into their new lives and count on their humans to show them how they should behave. Hang in there and good luck!

Last edited by Calidreemer; 10-09-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Hi Blondie621, I suggested that to my husband, too, and he about had a cow. This guy is large, 70 pounds, and takes up so much as it is. Although I do agree. I was thinking about asking my neighbor to "lend" me his dog so I can let them play in the back yard together. I already know he's good with other dogs and he's really missing a "pack".
Those breeds really are bigtime pack members with each other. Maybe you can talk your hubbie eventually into another...what happended to the one he was with for 5 months? Maybe you could rescue her. I think he is definately missing a pack member...poor baby! I know there is a cost factor with having two dogs but I could never have just one. I have 6 and a 1/4 right now and they pair off with each other. I have a small pack here! (all rescues, as I was a rescuer for 13 years)

Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM

He lived with about 2 dozen dogs and seemed VERY happy. I STILL feel guilty about taking him - I did call my neighbor who has a boxer who he never walks (its belonged to his deceased wife so he's way over-protective of it - I've even offered to walk her but he is afraid she's going to get away). I suggested to him that he bring her over and they can play all day in my back yard (I have a good sized yard). Since they already know each other they should feel good to have a pack member. I agree, I think he'd be much better with at least another dog. But other than the expense I'm afraid I might have to find homes for 2 dogs instead of just one. Believe me I'm trying my best to keep him.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
There could be many reasons whey the dog is barking when you are absent from him..bored for one...but we had a similar problem, our dog would hear the neighbor kids playing next door and would bark...anyway we purchased a "bark collar" for her and she seems settled down now....we don't keep it on her all the time obviously. Recently we just sit the collar on the counter where she can see it, and that seems to quiet her down, like "hum I don't want that thing on my neck, I best be quiet"...Good Luck....

Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Another thing that you might try is pet music. I got some CDs from Amazon and put them on my IPod. I even enjoy listening to them late in the evening.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
He lived with about 2 dozen dogs and seemed VERY happy. I STILL feel guilty about taking him - I did call my neighbor who has a boxer who he never walks (its belonged to his deceased wife so he's way over-protective of it - I've even offered to walk her but he is afraid she's going to get away). I suggested to him that he bring her over and they can play all day in my back yard (I have a good sized yard). Since they already know each other they should feel good to have a pack member. I agree, I think he'd be much better with at least another dog. But other than the expense I'm afraid I might have to find homes for 2 dogs instead of just one. Believe me I'm trying my best to keep him.

I am sure he will adjust, it will take time. It will not happen overnight. Just give him lots of TLC. Maybe in the future you can adopt a friend for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs