Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by working mom of 3 View Post
I'm not talking bout the neighbors feeling threatened. Talking about my dog feeling threatened. The dog bring outside isn't the issue. She is socialized. She doesn't bark randomly. She barks at ONE neighbor. I want advice on how to TRAIN her.
Some dogs just bark......

Rip and I just got home from his 22 miles run.

He is not tried and barking is head off.

Then I take the radio outside.......he loves it!!!!!

The barking cuts down to a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I agree why did you get a dog if you have to leave the dog outside all the time while working ? How unfair to the dog . I think some neighbors will complain about anything . I had the same thing going on while my kids were outside playing and my neighbors complained because they were making too much noise . I could only imagine what they would have said had I had a dog at the time . LOL !! Bring the dog inside and buy a crate and crate her or buy a baby gate and block her off in a room .
You need to fix this or you may end up having to re home the dog . Good luck to you .

Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Quote:
And eventually you'll have problems- kids that get tired of her barking at them as they walk by throw rocks, etc.
Yup - my solution to my INCONSIDERATE neighbor who left his dog outside to bark all day, was to throw dry dog food all over his backyard to give the poor thing something to do - kept him busy for hours sniffing out the food, and gave me some peace.

I feel for all your neighbors - there is NOTHING worse than working nights and trying to sleep during the day and you can't because a dog is left outside to bark. You will not be able to train this dog not to bark because you aren't HOME to reinforce good behavior. Take the advice on here and crate the dog inside or give it away.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM

39 posts, read 110,782 times
Dogs have several reasons to bark. Some dogs are bred to bark. It is natural for a dog to bark when he feel someone stranger around your main door or car. One common thing in young dogs (puppies) is to bark with excitement or sometimes your dog barks to grasp your attention. To prevent excessive barking of your dog, you should ignore his barking or if possible, leave him alone for a certain period and ignore him totally. Shouting at the dog can't stop them but they can get encouraged bu that. Teach them the commands when to bark or keep silent. Examine that either your dog is getting mental exercise daily as dogs often bark due to frustration.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Removed signature

Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Related story, my dog barks every once in a while at joggers (weird, he doesn't bark at walkers) and of course other dogs walking by. We have a law in our community that your dog should not be barking outside for more than 15 minutes or you can be fined or worse. We seriously only let him bark for 30 seconds max most of the time. One time I didn't hear him and my wife was busy and didn't get him in. Neighbor calls me up and complains. I'm like, I'm sorry-you're right I'll get him in right away.

Now these people are not saints. They have a hottub house right by the fence and they like to drink and party. Sometimes 2AM I'll hear them but just close the window and listen to my ipod. I'm not a complainer.

Well, last week my dog barked a little for maybe 1 minute and he calls me up so I went off on him. Told "well Drunky the Clown, the next time I hear you and your Valley Girl voice wife out in the hottub I will be calling the police. So if you are going to b*tch at your neighbors you better right your own ship first." That shut him up LOL.

This was a good lesson for me too. Some people don't appreciate anything. I've helped these people out so many times. When he installed his fence he hit his underground sprinkling lines like 10 times. I helped him fix all of that. Fixed his AC unit for him. Took care of his house when he was out of town. Blew the 3 feet of snow off his driveway last winter when he was in Florida. Ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM

180 posts, read 211,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working mom of 3 View Post
I have an American bulldog mix that I rescued from a shelter. She consistently barks at the neighbor through the fence. She obeys pretty well with most commands except this. Neighbors complaining and I understand but I am trying. Used a bark collar but it hurt her so I threw it in garbage. I work full time so can't always be home. Have been trying treats with command quiet but I feel like I can't leave house or that I should constantly be watching her waiting for her to bark. How long does it usually take to train or any other suggestions.
I would recommend buying an ultrasonic bark control. They have always worked on my dogs to control their barking. You can find some at Petsmart. Basically, when your dog barks, the device will emit a high frequency sound. If you leave her in your yard, you will need to keep her on a leash because the range of these devices varies. Eventually, you won't need it anymore.

...this one...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...128&lmdn=Style

Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
the ultrasonics are a good option if nothing else has worked but they do NOT work on ALL dogs. ive known dogs START barking when they hear those things go off (or worse they start howling, which makes it continue going off, which means the howling/barking continues...)

the ONLY way to truly treat this problem is to prevent it completly when the ip is not arroudn to correct and re-direct (correcting without a re-direct is a lesson in futility) so when the op is not there to say NO and redirect the dogs behaviour the dog needs to be kept in a place it cant barat the neaghbor, mabe its own dog run with some plants screening the veiw of the neighbors.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Default Some suggestions

Some things to try.

Buy your neighbor a big box of dog treats or dog food and have them toss it to the dog when they are outside. Your dog may start to like the neighbor.

If the neighbor is willing have them talk sweetly to the dog while doing it. Some of the dogs on my walk who bark at me can be sweet talked out of it after a I start doing this with them on a regular basis.

See if your neighbor is glaring at the dog, challenging it. Once I got my neighbor to stop coming to his fence and glaring at my dog the dogs behavior toward him improved. If he stays at least 6 feet away and keeps his back to the dog my dog pretty much doesn't care, unless his dogs come up to the fence then the dogs all run the fence and bark.

Calming behavior in dog language includes turning your back on a dog, walking toward them via a circular route (not straight up to them). Yawning, keeping your mouth open a bit (doesn't hurt to let your tongue hang out a bit) and having a relaxed jaw all indicate a relaxed, non-threatening posture. Think about the way a dog's face looks on a relaxed dog. A clenched jaw and hard stare will be a threat to your dog and he will bark more. Learn a bit about dog language and teach your neighbor if they are willing to learn.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
We get barked at a lot by our neighbor's dog(s), one in particular - usually the owners are inside and the dogs are outside - this happens just when we walk to our car, we avoid eye contact w/ the dog and try not to linger - what may provoke it is that occasionally we'll take ours for a walk and the dog really gets set off then but the barking usually is sudden and scary as a couple of times the dog hit their fence gate, got out and came right over to us - thankfully there was no biting but I swear it took 10 yrs off my life, lol - they're nice neighbors but have busy lives but if we spent a lot of time in our yard, it would be annoying (it's mostly when we walk to the car because it's fairly close to the fence). The barking does sound ferocious and w/ the dog running over so fast, it's annoying to put it mildly. I would be hesitant in tossing biscuits or food over there because I think it would just encourage the barking. Another neighbor had a dog who lunged and barked at ppl, other dogs, cars etc - the dog was also big and strong - but they moved so that was the end of that.

Anyway, I'd keep the dog inside and crate it or gate it in the kitchen if I wasnt home or find a good positive-method trainer, nothing harsh, your vet may have some suggestions.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
The dog biscuit idea is a great one BUT it's all in the timing, so that would require the help of a professional trainer. Definitely if the dog gets a biscuit when he's barking or right a bark, that reinforces the barking and he'll keep doing it. But if he gets the biscuit when he's not barking, and the neighbor can make friends with the dog - the barking could be at least minimized and maybe stopped. I think if the dog is going to be kept outside then this is going to require active participation from the neighbor in training the dog, since the owner isn't there. Some would be up for it (I would be, I'd find it fun) but not everyone is the crazy dog lady that I am :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs