Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was the court case for the two starved dogs the Humane Society picked up a month and a half ago. The Asst DA had told Tammy and Clay he felt they violated the 4th Ammendment and was going to drop the case. She found 3 attorneys - two local and one from Chattanooga - that agreed to represent the Humane Society since the Asst DA and County Commissioner were over heard trying to find ways to have her arrested if they could get the case dismissed.

The attorneys presented the Asst DA with multiple case studies showing dogs seized in the exact same way that Tammy seized these. All were found to be proper seizures and were successfully tried in court. Even with this information, the photos and videos, and two vet reports stating the dogs were intentionally starved (they've gained more than a pound a day since they've been in a foster home), the Asst DA walked into court and told the judge he refused to prosecute the case and requested the dogs be returned to the owners.

The owners, with cat that ate the canary smirks on their faces, walked away scott free. The attorneys are doing all they can to get an emergency injunction to keep the dogs and move the case to the grand jury with a state DA that hopefully isn't as corrupt as the people we have in our county.

On my way home I got a call from a friend in Nashville that fosters and transports for a lot of the rescues in the area. She stumbled upon two homes in McMinnville with people that are hoarding hundreds of dogs in their basements with fur so matted that when one of them attempted to defecate, the fecal matter remained inside the matted fur plastered to it's body. She was able to take photos of them and had been trying quietly to find out who she could trust here. I guess it's pretty common knowledge that the county is corrupt and she didn't want to tip anyone off. She finally decided to send me an e-mail via Facebook, asking if the animal shelter was trustworthy here. I responded very candidly and got a message back to please call her. I told her I was in the middle of court for the Dane case but would call when I got out.

I wound up on the phone with her and we were both in tears. I've called every single agency, department, etc that has been recommended both on a local, state and goverment level and gotten no response. I've contacted people in the media, talk shows, etc., and got no response. This woman is a wreck. She's been so upset it's now making her physically ill. And I feel helpless because I have nothing to offer her in the lines of hope.

I got a text from Tammy last night saying that after the benefit dinner this weekend and the transport to Chicago on Monday she's stepping down as President of the Humane Society. I sent her an e-mail at 11 last night when I woke up and found the text. I begged her to not step down. I understand why she's so frustrated. Believe me, I get it! But if she steps down, no one will fight the way she has. It will go back to same old, same old, and 'they' win. That means the animals continue to be abused, neglected, killed and nothing will be done to change that.

I just don't know what to do. This is such a corrupt little town. I hate the way it is. And I feel totally helpless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,407,001 times
I am not good on the net a saying what I feel but, stay strong!!!

I admire people like you.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks. I felt horrible because I came home last night crying, asked hubby if we can just sell the house how it is without the rest of the renovations and take the financial hit and move. It's so hard seeing this all going on around you and feeling like no one in a position of power in the entire country gives a damn. And then Tammy says she's stepping down and I tell her she can't do that. If I tell her she can't give up and leave, how can I say I'm doing it? So now I feel like I should be staying too.

I was just so hoping this case would be tried fairly and we'd start seeing change here so when I moved I could feel good, knowing that things were changing. Now it feels like it will never change and I'll either be stuck here forever watching this and banging my head against a wall trying to get the change these animals deserve, or I'll wind up bailing and leave knowing the kind of abuse and neglect that's going on here and feel horrible about myself. My stomach's just in a churning mess.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Tammy is officially stepping down on Tuesday. While I'm not happy that she's leaving, I wonder if it may make things easier. The VP kind of got this all dumped on her. She's only been involved for a year and was doing minimal stuff. Then in January Tammy put her on the ballot as VP without checking with her first. Tammy talked her into taking the position and now here we are a month later with it all dumped in her lap. I offered to help in any way I can, gave her all my contact info.

First order of business is getting rid of the secretary for legal reasons. Long story. Then we're going to have the attorney go with us to the DA and get IN WRITING what they expect from us to complete before we can legally seize any dog for abuse. And I've already got reports of two hoarders / puppy mills that we'll be looking into. I'm looking into some courses through American Humane for abuse and such and I'll be working as the investigator for the time being. *sigh*

Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
have you been getting the Facebook posts about "Alice, the dog in a box?" this is going on down in Toombs County, Georgia.... SoCo Animal Rescue has waged a pretty successful campaign to get publicity on the situation.... it has been going on for a couple of weeks and continues now.... maybe try something like that....

maggots HATE daylight....

Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,459,786 times
Oh my goodness. I really don't know what to say. Just, thank you for fighting for the animals. It's not easy anywhere, but you need a special strength to do it in a county like yours.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM

I hadn't seen that LTTP. I'll peek around.

The good news is I think I can work much better with Dawn. She's a lot more like I am. She's willing to do what it takes for animals and she's not afraid to make some noise. Tammy always tried to keep things quiet, hoping no one would be angry at her. Quite frankly, I don't give a diddly if people don't like me, so not being quiet is not an issue for me. Thankfully, because I've got a loud mouth! LOL

Waiting to hear a day / time we see the DA and staff. The local attorney is working on that. Still working to keep the dogs where they are. Dawn and I will be meeting with the Treasurer who's been involved in this group for years. Will update when I know more.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
link to Alice's page:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,487,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Yesterday was the court case for the two starved dogs the Humane Society picked up a month and a half ago. The Asst DA had told Tammy and Clay he felt they violated the 4th Ammendment and was going to drop the case. She found 3 attorneys - two local and one from Chattanooga - that agreed to represent the Humane Society since the Asst DA and County Commissioner were over heard trying to find ways to have her arrested if they could get the case dismissed.

The attorneys presented the Asst DA with multiple case studies showing dogs seized in the exact same way that Tammy seized these. All were found to be proper seizures and were successfully tried in court. Even with this information, the photos and videos, and two vet reports stating the dogs were intentionally starved (they've gained more than a pound a day since they've been in a foster home), the Asst DA walked into court and told the judge he refused to prosecute the case and requested the dogs be returned to the owners.

The owners, with cat that ate the canary smirks on their faces, walked away scott free. The attorneys are doing all they can to get an emergency injunction to keep the dogs and move the case to the grand jury with a state DA that hopefully isn't as corrupt as the people we have in our county.

I just don't know what to do. This is such a corrupt little town. I hate the way it is. And I feel totally helpless.
Could you tell me which courthouse this case was heard in? I've not been following your story on here closely and am wondering if there's a FB page for this.

I was not aware that county Asst. DA's were also Constitutional scholars. I thought they were supposed to prosecute cases based upon local & state laws, not their version of the Constitution. Likely they're just grasping at anything they can to try and intimidate people.

You and others who are as dedicated to rescues are nothing short of warriors. I admire what you folks do. I know I wouldn't last very long working in rescue.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Could you tell me which courthouse this case was heard in? I've not been following your story on here closely and am wondering if there's a FB page for this.

I was not aware that county Asst. DA's were also Constitutional scholars. I thought they were supposed to prosecute cases based upon local & state laws, not their version of the Constitution. Likely they're just grasping at anything they can to try and intimidate people.

You and others who are as dedicated to rescues are nothing short of warriors. I admire what you folks do. I know I wouldn't last very long working in rescue.
Warren County, TN in McMinnville. Asst DA is Josh Crain. Crane? I'm not sure how he spells it. The couple that had the charges dropped are Amanda and Nathan McMinn. Looks like we're re-filing civil charges against them.

Yeh, nice, huh? It's ridiculous. I thought for sure the judge would question him but he didn't. I was pretty bummed. Even though our attorneys had the photos, vet statement and multiple cases where dogs were seized in the state of TN in the same exact manner and the cases were tried and successfully prosecuted. He did everything he could to make it go away.

Haven't heard from Tammy but a couple times today. Don't have any current info on the status of the dogs. Things are pretty screwy right now. I'm hopeful though. The new incoming Pres, former VP, is a fighter. And she's willing to play games if that's what it takes to get things done for these dogs. Fingers crossed. And thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs