Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This is a wonderful story which I hope compels others to consider adopting senior dogs (and cats).

'No dog should die alone': Photographer promotes senior pet adoption - TODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I love seniors. So much calmer, and they don't need much, so I can have more of 'em at a time. They don't cost more than younger dogs- no more medical problemsp - especially if you adopt them as seniors, they're pretty tough. All of my senior adoptions reached a day where they just stopped functioning in a reasonable way; no illnesses, etc., and they lived a good long life with me.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
This makes me think of Marshmallow, the older cat we adopted. Records weren't clear as to his exact age. One said 7 years, another said 11 years. when I went to take him, the rescue worker said "do you realize that cat is at least 12 years old?", no, but its ok, I still want him. she acted like she couldn't understand why anyone would want an old cat, but we adopted him. We had him for 3.5 wonderful years, then, he died suddenly from diabetes. We didn't even know he had diabetes, it came on suddenly.
His former owner had to give him up as she went into a nursing home.

Marshmallow was a wonderful cat, a pure joy. We still miss him, but now he's home with his first mama. RIP, my baby!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I've had the old ones, I've had the young ones, I've had in-betweens. As I am aging myself and have a much better understanding of living out my days in relative comfort and peace, I'll take the seniors when my current herd thins out a little bit.

I love, love, love the seniors. I cannot understand why anyone would cast an old pet aside, although I do understand there are life situations that change things on a dime....elderly people with older pets die or have to go to a nursing home, etc.

The seniors just seem so contented with life, as if they have made their peace with the world and just want to lie in their bed and relive their glory days. If I can be so honored as to share those moments, then I think my life will be all the better for it.

God bless this photographer, who is certainly providing a worthy service, and the Silver Project. Hopefully, it will raise awareness that there are wonderful companions out there that are low maintenance and oh, so loving and grateful.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
This makes me think of Marshmallow, the older cat we adopted. Records weren't clear as to his exact age. One said 7 years, another said 11 years. when I went to take him, the rescue worker said "do you realize that cat is at least 12 years old?", no, but its ok, I still want him. she acted like she couldn't understand why anyone would want an old cat, but we adopted him. We had him for 3.5 wonderful years, then, he died suddenly from diabetes. We didn't even know he had diabetes, it came on suddenly.
His former owner had to give him up as she went into a nursing home.

Marshmallow was a wonderful cat, a pure joy. We still miss him, but now he's home with his first mama. RIP, my baby!
What a beautiful baby and I know you miss him so much.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I know I identify with lonely old seniors!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I work in Boston Terrier Rescue, have a couple of my own along with a Frenchie and an old Lab...in Aug. 2011, I got a call to go pick up a male Boston found wandering a neighborhood. I did and what a beautiful little guy he was. He had no tags and a chip with no updated or good info. Long story short, the chip co. put me in touch with the vet clinic who'd inserted the chip and I was able to get his records. He was nine years old and I was shocked! He played like a younger dog and had no trouble keeping up with my three year old Frenchie...who is not laid back, by the way. Here he is that first day...being supported by the woman who found him. Handsome guy, right?

and at my home after a bath and meeting my four dogs...

I mean...look at this face! LOL

He was the best little guy...potty trained already, had manners and knew basic obedience, didn't mind the crate and after a vet check and a senior blood panel run...he was as healthy as a horse. He needed a dental but that was it. I worked hard trying to find him a home where he'd be dog #1 or #2 instead of #5 at my house...plus, he needed his own home so I'd have a space for the next dog that needed us. But, everyone knows...everybody wants a puppy. I mean, this guy came ready to go...he was perfect and great with my five grandkids too. What more could you ask for?

Long story short, it was suddenly, it was Aug. 2012...Sammy Davis had been with us for one year without a single application. So, we decided we'd adopt him ourselves and that's what we did. Here he is on that happy day! Oh, I had to make a big deal of it on the Boston Terrier forum I belong to...so I created a thread..."we've got another dog" and this was the first picture.

and then the surprise - it's Sammy Davis...my foster!

He's been such a blessing to us and all the people who passed him by do not know what they missed. Thanks for letting my post be such a long one but having a senior as a foster and then adopting him was a lesson that touched my heart. I will never have another puppy. As my herd grows fewer in number, I will definitely adopt a senior...or two.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM

What a beautiful tribute to Sammy and all older pups in general. I absolutely love the photos but my favorite is the one of him under the blanket. How fun!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
What a handsome fellow Sammy is. Aren't you lucky that he found his way into your life! We only adopt seniors and I think they are the best. Our local tv stations do a good job of promoting adoptions, but not so much for seniors. That really needs to change. They make the best family additions.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
when my own dogs pass... I'll only foster. I specifically foster seniors, as I live alone, therefore can provide a quiet peaceful home. I currently have 4 seniors at home, my own 2, and 2 fosters.

One is close to the end of her life, but she's been one of the best. Was very easy to housebreak and use the dog door (all over one long weekend). She's very quiet, I've heard her bark maybe 3 times, and she's been with me 2 years. She sleeps probably 22 hours out of the day. She does have issues with her eyes and hates being groomed. She has recently develped seizures, so she'll be seeing the vet for the this week. Aside from that, she's easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs