Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times

Advertisements

Thats awful to have them returned to the problems they were rescued from.

I have to ask one question. A few years ago when in TN we were expecting a shipment of animals we were suspicious of. When called the local Humane Society for that area and they told us they did not have the legal authority to interven. They can take custody and work with other law eneforcment on the seizure if cruelty or animal laws were violated, but they couldn't seize the animals. They did direct us to one of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals "SPCA" because the Humane Society said SPCA's have the legal authority to interveen and seize animals not Humane Societies. They said its a common mistake. So which are they, a Humane Society or a SPCA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
They're a Humane Society. Warren County law says humane societies and animal control have the authority to seize dogs in the county. I think it varies by county and what the laws are that have been passed in each.

Sadly, our state rep for the HSUS is worthless right now. She's been sent information on dog fighting, abuse, neglect, torture and outright killing of animals and never responded or will respond that the sheriff of such and such county doesn't like them to intervene so she doesn't go there. Well, if you're not going to do your job, please step down and find someone else that will.

Here. Scroll a little more than half way down the page to the section labeled § 39-14-210. Humane societies

Because there was a warrant for the couple but they weren't home, the sheriff's office said they could still be seized:

Quote:
(f) Custody of any animal victimized under this part shall be placed with any humane society chartered by the state immediately upon arrest of the person alleged to have violated this part. The humane society shall assist the animal and preserve evidence for prosecution.
Warren County Humane Society Warren County Tennessee

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
The little snippet of law that was posted previously does not say the Human Society or anyone else can seize an animal. It says that when a person or persons have been arrested for cruelty to an animal, THEN that animal may be placed with the Humane Society or a like organization. Perhaps there is a portion of the law that states such as is being claimed, but that is not it. Also, while naming names and compiling "evidence" to show officials in regard to the Assistant DA not doing his job, make sure to show them the national honor he received this past month from the Animal Legal Defense Fund for his continued and successful efforts in prosecuting animal abuse cases in Warren County. ADA Crain is right there on the ALDF website, was mentioned in papers throughout the US and featured on local television in connection with his being recognized by the ALDF for his work against animal cruelty. Please do make sure that while you are writing these borderline libelous statements that you mention the cases that he has prosecuted, won and received recognition for. All of the information I have read here so far has been 3rd hand at best and seriously biased, apparently written by someone who knows nothing about the District Attorney's office of Warren County or about the individuals they named in these posts. If anyone is interested in the FACTS, do a little more research on what the people of the DA's office really do, on the cases they have fought and won, on the service they do their community every day. Hearing only one side of a story means you are only hearing half of it and that just isn't enough information for an intelligent person to completely formulate an educated opinion with. Please remember, there is a huge difference between OPINION and FACT and it seems that not all the facts are on the table here.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWilliams1 View Post
The little snippet of law that was posted previously does not say the Human Society or anyone else can seize an animal. It says that when a person or persons have been arrested for cruelty to an animal, THEN that animal may be placed with the Humane Society or a like organization. Perhaps there is a portion of the law that states such as is being claimed, but that is not it. Also, while naming names and compiling "evidence" to show officials in regard to the Assistant DA not doing his job, make sure to show them the national honor he received this past month from the Animal Legal Defense Fund for his continued and successful efforts in prosecuting animal abuse cases in Warren County. ADA Crain is right there on the ALDF website, was mentioned in papers throughout the US and featured on local television in connection with his being recognized by the ALDF for his work against animal cruelty. Please do make sure that while you are writing these borderline libelous statements that you mention the cases that he has prosecuted, won and received recognition for. All of the information I have read here so far has been 3rd hand at best and seriously biased, apparently written by someone who knows nothing about the District Attorney's office of Warren County or about the individuals they named in these posts. If anyone is interested in the FACTS, do a little more research on what the people of the DA's office really do, on the cases they have fought and won, on the service they do their community every day. Hearing only one side of a story means you are only hearing half of it and that just isn't enough information for an intelligent person to completely formulate an educated opinion with. Please remember, there is a huge difference between OPINION and FACT and it seems that not all the facts are on the table here.
I heard enough.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Questioning the character and effectiveness of a public servant on a public forum is not libel; if it were, everyone from Perez Hilton to John McCain would be in court fighting libel suits.

Libel is reserved for news sources (such as The New York Times) who are required by law to be factual. This forum (or any public forum) is not required to be factual.

Moreover, the OP's intent is not malicious. In fact, the OP is trying to protect animals from persons whom she feels are either harming them or not protecting them. If those of us on this forum choose to agree with her, then that is our RIGHT.

Furthermore, take some of your own advice and remember that your post is also AN OPINION, especially when you present no information or sources to back-up that opinion.

Lastly, the OP never questioned the DA's effectiveness wrt all cases, just this particular case. Even if he was following the letter of the law--which is his job--no one on this forum has to like or respect it. Again, this is our right.

If the DA is such an honorable man as your purport him to be, then he has absolutely nothing to worry about b/c then all of this really would be conjecture, right? But the fact that you came on this board and so aggressively defended him makes me wonder just how honorable he really is. And I got that from the statements that YOU made about him, not the OP.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks. I felt horrible because I came home last night crying, asked hubby if we can just sell the house how it is without the rest of the renovations and take the financial hit and move. It's so hard seeing this all going on around you and feeling like no one in a position of power in the entire country gives a damn. And then Tammy says she's stepping down and I tell her she can't do that. If I tell her she can't give up and leave, how can I say I'm doing it? So now I feel like I should be staying too.

I was just so hoping this case would be tried fairly and we'd start seeing change here so when I moved I could feel good, knowing that things were changing. Now it feels like it will never change and I'll either be stuck here forever watching this and banging my head against a wall trying to get the change these animals deserve, or I'll wind up bailing and leave knowing the kind of abuse and neglect that's going on here and feel horrible about myself. My stomach's just in a churning mess.
It is all around me here too in my neighborhood in Florida. My neighborhood has gone down hill bigtime with all the foreclosures. I also told my other half to take a big loss, sell and get out of here. It is so stressful knowing and living around dogs that are neglected and abused. I am going thru a situation right now with horrible druggie neighbors neglecting and abusing their dogs. I can barely sleep!
The laws are just not there to protect animals. And to tell you the truth I do no think they ever will be. If pedophiles, murderers and rapists can get out of jail and walk free, what does that say for humans who harm animals? It is so heartbreaking. The world would have to end to be rid of it all! So sad.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
When I lived in Houston and this was yrs ago I know that the animal control officers were duly sworn in , in order to carry firearms . They did have the right to seize animals that were being abused and they did arrest people and put them in jail for animal cruelty so anyone who said that cannot be done yes it can . I wish they had animal control officers who carried guns in every state , but that is not the case . and yes I agree with blondie if rapists and murderers can get out of jail what is to stop an animal abuser from getting out of jail so true . I hope themcminville case gets settled and what a kangaroo court that must have been and then they want to throw the president of the hs in jail there . What another bunch of idiots . People need to raise hell over this and start picketing in front of the court house calling for an arrests of people who commit animal cruelty ..

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I heard enough.
as did i......

Quote:
i can only think that you work in or closely with this DA's office..... so, lets hear your facts......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 03-03-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
If anyone is interested in the FACTS, do a little more research on what the people of the DA's office really do, on the cases they have fought and won...Please remember, there is a huge difference between OPINION and FACT and it seems that not all the facts are on the table here.
I agree, one side of the story is just that, one side. But that does not make it untrue or 'libelous.' Since you appear to have the facts at hand would you kindly answer these questions:

I would be very interested in hearing the reasons ADA Crain refused to prosecute the offenders. Was it that felt that he felt the 4th Amendment was violated. Is that truth or gossip?

Did ADA Crain and a/the County Commissioner discuss ways to have those people arrested in this case, or is that more gossip?

ADA Cain and the DA's office were specifically mentioned in this thread because I asked the OP. She was only answering my question. I asked her who was involved because I wanted to get more information, such as reports. But since you've entered this thread, would you be kind enough to answer those questions so we will all have the information?

I also checked ALDF site. ADA Crain has indeed done some admirable work. Including one rather infamous one which was discussed on this very forum.

(Sorry, I can't get the URL to post properly; input ADA Crain's name in their search box).

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
IMO, the lack of prosecution from the DA was "lack of funds".

Our Animal Control in most counties of Michigan has a hard time for this reson.

The DA will say over and over there is limited funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs