Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't even notice what these people's names were. That explains a lot. Get publicity outside the county! Send emails with the dog's photos to an investigative reporter on t v in Nashville. Heck, send them to Oprah, Ellen Degeneris, whoever. If somebody sheds light on this on a wider level these big fishes in their little pond won't be feeling so smug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Maybe I'm a cynic but two cases don't convince me of anyone's commitment to preventing animal abuse. For all anyone knows, Crain was doing that for political points, which is usually what people are up to when they ideologically fickle as Crain appears to be.

The one thing that I haven't mentioned is how the last name of the alleged abusers in this case jumped out at me: McMinn. Is this correct? The supposed animal-loving, apolitical DA finds a reason not charge the McMinn's of McMinnville with animal abuse?

If that is correct, then I am very suspicious of this DA's supposed loyalty to the fight against animal cruelty.
LOL. I thought the same thing, but apparently his family came here from Arkansas (sorry to anyone from Arkansas) so the town's not named for them or anything. Was just a crazy fluke.

Like I said, there was a conviction on the Lucas case, but I've heard things about that too, so............ I had nothing to do with that one, don't know if the things I've heard are true or not, but based on what I know of him it wouldn't really surprise me. Certainly hope things start working in the way that case did though because at least he was willing to try it.

I will give him credit for one thing - unlike his boss he does have a big enough set that when he takes a case he believes in he isn't afraid to try it. That I have respect for him for. I just wish he would try the animal cases. I did hear a lot of the deputies behind me saying that he was the best ADA they'd ever worked with. Deputies, officers, troopers spend a lot of time in court for their cases. His boss won't bother to take anything to court and if it were my case and it were pleaded after all the work and the time I'd put into it, I'd be wicked pissed. So I'm glad he does take those cases seriously. Just don't understand why he doesn't put that dedication into an animal abuse case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Wow, I didn't even notice what these people's names were. That explains a lot. Get publicity outside the county! Send emails with the dog's photos to an investigative reporter on t v in Nashville. Heck, send them to Oprah, Ellen Degeneris, whoever. If somebody sheds light on this on a wider level these big fishes in their little pond won't be feeling so smug.
Sent to those. Everytime someone comes up with something or someone new, I send it to those too. Nashville media came out when the puppies were in the sewage but they were just fluff pieces. I want a media report of the FACTS that isn't just a softball. Seems like the media around here - outside of town I mean - is so afraid to ask the hard questions and post the proof. They even goobered up the facts in the illegal killing of all those animals last year. Face it, in TN we're just not going to find good quality journalists.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
[quote=mrs1885;18144190]LOL. I thought the same thing, but apparently his family came here from Arkansas (sorry to anyone from Arkansas) so the town's not named for them or anything. Was just a crazy fluke.

Like I said, there was a conviction on the Lucas case, but I've heard things about that too, so............ I had nothing to do with that one, don't know if the things I've heard are true or not, but based on what I know of him it wouldn't really surprise me. Certainly hope things start working in the way that case did though because at least he was willing to try it.

I will give him credit for one thing - unlike his boss he does have a big enough set that when he takes a case he believes in he isn't afraid to try it. That I have respect for him for. I just wish he would try the animal cases. I did hear a lot of the deputies behind me saying that he was the best ADA they'd ever worked with. Deputies, officers, troopers spend a lot of time in court for their cases. His boss won't bother to take anything to court and if it were my case and it were pleaded after all the work and the time I'd put into it, I'd be wicked pissed. So I'm glad he does take those cases seriously. Just don't understand why he doesn't put that dedication into an animal abuse case.

Sent to those. Everytime someone comes up with something or someone new, I send it to those too. Nashville media came out when the puppies were in the sewage but they were just fluff pieces. I want a media report of the FACTS that isn't just a softball. Seems like the media around here - outside of town I mean - is so afraid to ask the hard questions and post the proof. They even goobered up the facts in the illegal killing of all those animals last year. Face it, in TN we're just not going to find good quality journalists.[/qu
Please contact cnn and bill oreiley they are serious journalists and take this stuff seriously . i mean it and yeah oprah is an animal lover and yeah so is dr phil get him aboard too . Get as many famous people as you can to listen to you you must get the word out and as soon as some of this comes to light let us see if these cowards in charge will respond and if they dont then that looks bad on them and people will be definately thinking that they have something to hide ... Please Please contact everyone you can and there is strength in number and remember when government stand up , we the people must . Can you organize a peaceful protest and a picket line ? then maybe they will know you are serious and will sit down and have talks . another one I just thought of bernadette peters the emmy award winning actress she might be able to help as well . I will see if i can find her agent for you . Let me know if you have any luck .

Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM

SJ - where did you see that post? I just went back through the thread and I'm not seeing it!

As for the question, has anyone called to see him? Yes. Tammy and Clay met with him multiple times. The last time they asked he stalled quite a bit before finally agreeing to meet them, and then had an employee for their office call and say he couldn't meet with them because Lisa was sick. Um.......... Why would he have to cancel because his boss is sick. That made no sense at all. He finally relented and told them if they could meet him in thirty minutes he'd see them, knowing it takes them over thirty minutes to make it to his office, and that doesn't include getting ready to go. They've got pets of their own that would have had to be walked and they'd have to get themselves changed so they could head over. Clay is disabled so he's not exactly lightning fast. It's not like they could just walk right out the door.

As for wanting him to be our puppet, all we want is for him to honestly look into prosecuting these crimes. Period. I just expect him to do the job he was hired to do instead of putting in more effort to get out of it. Has he bothered to correct the Southern Standard the last couple days on their inaccuracies? Apparently not, because there was yet another totally inaccurate piece front page today. Not that it surprises me. I think of that trash rag about as much as I think of the county these days. Pretty sad and pathetic.

And don't start with why would he want to meet with people that wish him harm? I've never said I wished him any harm. I said I wished he'd do his job and take it seriously when it came to these types of cases. I also posted that the officers in that court said he's the best in the county. I also said that he's at least tough enough to take a case to court and fight it when he chooses. I NEVER said I wished him any harm. He's not my favorite person, that's never been in question. I'm not sure I'd pee on him if I saw him on fire at this point. I don't sugar coat anything for anyone and I'll tell you to your face exactly what I think of anyone or anything. But I've never wished anything bad happen to him. If you can find some place I have, please correct me and I'll happy acknowledge I was wrong and I will apologize. As for anyone else saying anything along those lines, they aren't anyone local, so they wouldn't be any danger to him or be calling him to meet for an appointment, so don't come crying here saying he's so afraid of meeting people because of that. Stop crying like a baby. From what I've seen I don't think he's anymore afraid of the people in this area than I am.

As for you, I'm guessing you're the attorney that is friends with Josh and sent the e-mail to Dawn warning her that someone in Van Buren County is spreading lies and to avoid that person. Well, that person is me and they're not lies. I told Dawn that for the sake of the Humane Society I would keep anything like this off of my personal and rescue Facebook accounts. Now, I'll still continue sharing them when the HS page posts and I'll post updates on the abuse page. But my opinion does not change and I'm not going to shut up and go away. If Josh and this county in general don't like people talking about things like this, all they have to do is start prosecuting people that break these laws. Period. It's really simple. Just tell them to do their freaking job!

ETA: Have you bothered to talk to Josh about his attitude? Just curious. I mean you're pretty damn fast to jump on my back or Clay and Tammy's or warn Dawn about getting involved with us. But have your bothered to explain to Josh that sitting in his office yelling at Clay and doing all he can to entice him into an arguement isn't really professional? You want so badly for people to think Josh is so great. The fact is he seems to have quite the Napoleon complex. Yelling at Clay in the office and then lashing out at the attorney in the hallway after the court case? Stop acting like he's Mr. Professional. I'd love to see him grow up a bit and start working for the betterment of the animals here. But he's pretty far from that right now.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
Here is the info about HS for TN. This is the 2010 law
Tennessee Consolidated Cruelty Statutes

(b) In case any animal is injured, diseased, suffering from the elements, or malnourished, and is found at large by any agent of any humane society chartered by the state, the agent may cause adequate veterinary treatment or shelter or nourishment to be furnished to the animal. The society shall have a right of action against the owner of the animal for all necessary and reasonable expenses so incurred. Within forty-eight (48) hours after taking custody of the animal, the society shall make reasonable efforts to notify the owner of the animal's whereabouts and condition. Nothing in this subsection (b) shall affect the right of action of the veterinarian or furnisher of goods or services against the person or persons with whom such veterinarian or furnisher of goods or services contracted for payment of charges. Any such right of action by a humane society may be voided by an owner who elects to forfeit the animal to the society rather than pay for the goods or services rendered.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 AM

The problem with calling the state is you are going to get a different opinion on the law everytime you speak to a different person. Heck where I live the atty for the city made statements that showed he had no clue of what the laws of the city or state required

I think what helped you all the most was the Facebook page and the protest from the members. Perhaps it would help to go to the state rather than the local gov't.

I know here there is one city that has animal laws that are against what the state has designated as required. I do know what you mean it is hard to fight the 'good ole boy' network in these small towns. Most feel that dogs should be left outside and penned or chained up just like livestock.

Honestly, he has 2 listings in the last 6 years.. not much to crow about IMO.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-07-2011 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks Keeper.

We contacted the state DA and they told us they only come in to take over a case at the request of the local DA. Uh, yeh, like they're going to do that. *rolls eyes*

It's obvoius we're getting under their skin. They're running around threatening everyone that speaks out against them with libel and slander. LOL. I take that as a good sign. Just irks me that if they'd just DO THEIR JOB this wouldn't be an issue. I don't understand why in the world they're fighting it. I don't get it.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 AM

You might find this interesting reading regarding libel.
The Legal Magic Bullet That Protects Twitter And Yelp | paidContent

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
IHey PF, by any chance did they give you the 'new law'? Because we've got three attorneys that can't find those supposed laws.
Your probably reading the new law, but like you and others, I read the law as it was posted on the humane society website and figured that was it. When told of the new law i reread it from the States official version and it was the same, so I was confused. When i called them back they said to reread it but pay attention to the title and paragraphs. The title Humane Society was no longer there, it read Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. They said that is how the organization is chartered, If they are chartered as a SPCA, they have the ability to engage in all parts of animal abuse, but if they are chartered as a Humane Society, their role kicks in further down in the laws. The first part addressing enfocement and seizures and arrest are for SPCA's, not Humane Societies. Later on it goes into the Humane Society's role but that is not in the enforcement role. The person I spoke with said it's confusing because the main change was clarifying the tile and who is chartered as what. If a Humane Society is chartered as a SPCA, they have enforcement rights even if they use the Humane Society name and not a SPCA name. But if they are chartered as a Humane Society and not an SPCA, they have no arrest or seizure rights. So if they were chartered as a Humane Society only, they have no enfocement rights, but if they were chartered as an SPCA also, they have enforcement rights.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM

All I know is the HS has been seizing animals for prosecution for a while and it's never been an issue. Also at issue was whether they were on the owner's property, who the President was, etc. It just seems like the reason they couldn't prosecute changed at every opportunity.

Anyway, they're dealing with the case on a civil level. We've got multiple attorneys, both local, state and national, working with us now to go forward with new cases. And of course, the drama continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs