Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 32,873 times

Advertisements

Carbs before sleep are the best sleeping pills :-)
On cutting I was eating around 350g daily. Before sleep around 200g. Now on bulking phase I'm eating nearly 500g daily and 350g before sleep.
Carbs giving you energy and when you're working out they're crucial!
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's not that simple and never was. Calories are NOT created equal.

A calorie is a measure of energy. Fats happen to provide a lot of energy. Not as much as carbs since the body runs on glucose and carbs are already glucose in a sense, no conversion necessary. When you don't burn said carbs they turn to fat that is stored in your body.

I know that 500 calories of pasta or pizza will make you gain more weight than 500 calories of lean protein or even the almonds you mention. I happen to eat almonds all the time for breakfast and as snacks during the day. I am still losing weight. I would put that against a double whopper any day of the week. They are not the same.

Why “Calories in, Calories Out” Doesn’t Tell The Whole Story
Any weight "gained" due to the pizza or pasta is due to water. Pizza has lots of salt, which retains water. Overconsumption of carbs also cause water retention. If you notice, the weight that is supposedly gained is lost (via elimination and excretion) once more moderate, normal eating patterns have returned. I do not gain anything when I consume balanced meals featuring no more than 1 cup of pasta/rice/starch.

In addition, yes, anything turns to fat if it is in excess and isn't burned off. Solution = eat less and move more.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,990 times
Quote:
Unhealthy? Are you overweight? I assume you are since you are dieting. I have never heard of going below a certain amount of calories being unhealthy. Actually, intermittent fasting can be a good thing if done right. I have been on a keto type diet for over two years and it is common to not feel hungry. When you do eat, eat to satisfaction and not more just to meet a certain calorie "requirement". I do keto, not paleo. I do enjoy some fruit, root veggies and dairy. I am a type 2 diabetic which is why I started the diet in the first place and along with it lost a good amount of weight and inches. Is that not what you want? My health markers are as good as they have ever been.

If you are worried about calories just add some fat to the mix and that will meet your calorie requirements real quick. I quit counting calories a long time ago, I count carbs and eat a lot of (healthy) fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.
I am 10-15 lbs overweight, so not overweight to the point of being unhealthy.

Quote:
I have never heard of going below a certain amount of calories being unhealthy
Really? That's odd, I hear it all the time and I work in the health industry.

I stay away from fruit, as I've just started. I mainly eat steak, chicken, fish, lettuce and cucmbers and eggs, I did add butter to the meats in the beginning to up the fat, however lately it's been putting me off so I stopped doing that. The past couple of days, I've only been eating breakfast (egg whites) and lunch (usually a tuna salad, or a grilled chicken salad with lettuce, cucmber and olive oil only), too full to eat dinner. Today I couldn't even eat breakfast. I have started eating a tablespoon and a half of almonds as a snack though.

I felt sick the first couple of days on the diet, like I was getting the flu or something, but knew that was expected. I don't feel sick anymore, just always feel extremely full. I have been getting lightheaded though and I believe that might be due to not eating enough.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post

I stay away from fruit, as I've just started. I mainly eat steak, chicken, fish, lettuce and cucmbers and eggs, I did add butter to the meats in the beginning to up the fat, however lately it's been putting me off so I stopped doing that. The past couple of days, I've only been eating breakfast (egg whites) and lunch (usually a tuna salad, or a grilled chicken salad with lettuce, cucmber and olive oil only), too full to eat dinner. Today I couldn't even eat breakfast. I have started eating a tablespoon and a half of almonds as a snack though.

I felt sick the first couple of days on the diet, like I was getting the flu or something, but knew that was expected. I don't feel sick anymore, just always feel extremely full. I have been getting lightheaded though and I believe that might be due to not eating enough.
You need to eat more vegetables. A lot more. Lettuce and cucumbers do not provide you with much of anything. Broccoli, spinach, kale, carrots, bell peppers, onions, asparagus, artichokes, squash, mushrooms, etc...
You are not doing your body any favors at all by eating so much protein and fat without balancing it out with some fiber and nutrients from plants. No wonder you feel the way you do. I would be sick as a dog.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You need to eat more vegetables. A lot more. Lettuce and cucumbers do not provide you with much of anything. Broccoli, spinach, kale, carrots, bell peppers, onions, asparagus, artichokes, squash, mushrooms, etc...
You are not doing your body any favors at all by eating so much protein and fat without balancing it out with some fiber and nutrients from plants. No wonder you feel the way you do. I would be sick as a dog.
Good point! Im going to get some spaghetti squash and asparagus...I love broccoli but don't think its recommended for keto. Forgot to mention I have been incorporating spinach as well, and avocaodo occasionally.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:

Sounds to me like you are starving yourself. The idea behind the keto is to limit carb intake and concentrate on real foods. Do not be afraid of the fats. A tablespoon and a half of almonds? How is that even possible? Is that like 5 almonds? lol. I eat almonds for breakfast and do eggs only on weekends. I eat till I am satisfied. Only egg whites, why bother? You are eliminating the most nutritious part of the egg. Low carb and low fat is a recipe for disaster. You need to up the fat. It will provide the energy you are not getting from carbs. The brain is at least 60% fat. Broccoli and Cauliflower are some of the best veggies for keto as are most other green vegetables.

The Ketogenic Diet 101: A Detailed Beginner’s Guide

Boost Brain Power with Good Fats

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Good point! Im going to get some spaghetti squash and asparagus...I love broccoli but don't think its recommended for keto. Forgot to mention I have been incorporating spinach as well, and avocaodo occasionally.
If broccoli is not allowed in any diet then get rid of the diet. Broccoli is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
What's your exercise regimen?

Anything that makes me feel bad I wouldn't do.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me like you are starving yourself. The idea behind the keto is to limit carb intake and concentrate on real foods. Do not be afraid of the fats. A tablespoon and a half of almonds? How is that even possible? Is that like 5 almonds? lol. I eat almonds for breakfast and do eggs only on weekends. I eat till I am satisfied. Only egg whites, why bother? You are eliminating the most nutritious part of the egg. Low carb and low fat is a recipe for disaster. You need to up the fat. It will provide the energy you are not getting from carbs. The brain is at least 60% fat. Broccoli and Cauliflower are some of the best veggies for keto as are most other green vegetables.

The Ketogenic Diet 101: A Detailed Beginner’s Guide

Boost Brain Power with Good Fats
Sorry meant serving and a half, lol! Yea a tablespoon would be ridiculous!

I eat egg whites because I don't like the yolk never did...I can't stomach it

Right now I'm eating a kale caesar salad with grilled chicken, so that should up the fat factor.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What's your exercise regimen?

Anything that makes me feel bad I wouldn't do.
I dance. I'm not a gym person, just can't do it. But I do spend about 6 hours a week dancing so that's my excercise regimen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss