Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I quit counting calories over two years ago and I KNOW I go way over what is the normal amount for someone my weight. The major difference is that the calories are from fat and ARE NOT from carbohydrates. Many people have a really hard time comprehending this and are still stuck in the calories in calories out concept. With the LCHF diet, you consume fat and you burn fat since you are not feeding your body sugar. It also works great with intermittent fasting. Again, just because I fast does not mean I consume less calories. The one meal I do eat is loaded with fat calories. I don't always fast but just eat very light throughout the day and snack on nuts and seeds which are loaded with fat calories. Many times I don't fast and eat 2 or 3 times a day with all the meals being low carb high fat.

Here's a video with an explanation. It seems that a lot of people can't grasp this concept. This may help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-maximize-fat-burning

I don't just think this diet works, I KNOW this diet works. It worked on me and it has worked for many others. I have lost weight and vastly improved my health markers. So if you don't believe me that's OK, stick with your weight watchers and low-fat diets. It's not for everyone, I admit it.
I believe it works for you. It does not work for most people as they will eventually cave and start eating foods that were forbidden. Its human nature. Eliminating food groups is only for certain types of people that can make that type of lifestyle change work for them in the long run. And thats fine if you can. Understand however that most people cannot. I managed it for 6 months and I felt like crap and my workouts suffered and so did my social life. Eating fresh, whole foods from all the food groups has worked well for me. I also eat minimal animal proteins and I have just as much energy if not more. Plus I look a lot healthier. There is no one size fits all.
Also there are other ways of eating that are not WW or low fat. Although WW promotes eating from all the food groups so its not a bad place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
You know, just the other day I was reading a piece on a possible genetic link to carb intolerance. I'll post it when I can find it, but the gist was researchers found that people who have more copies of the gene that makes amylase (the enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates), have more amylase on their saliva and have a lower BMI than than those with fewer copies of the gene. The researchers also found that people with more copies of the gene naturally eat less because the carb digestion process starts quicker and causes them to feel satiety after a smaller amount of food.

That's what I remember, and I'm sure there are more details, so I'll post the link when I find it. Hell, maybe it needs its own thread.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 01-10-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I quit counting calories over two years ago and I KNOW I go way over what is the normal amount for someone my weight. The major difference is that the calories are from fat and ARE NOT from carbohydrates. Many people have a really hard time comprehending this and are still stuck in the calories in calories out concept. With the LCHF diet, you consume fat and you burn fat since you are not feeding your body sugar. It also works great with intermittent fasting. Again, just because I fast does not mean I consume less calories. The one meal I do eat is loaded with fat calories. I don't always fast but just eat very light throughout the day and snack on nuts and seeds which are loaded with fat calories. Many times I don't fast and eat 2 or 3 times a day with all the meals being low carb high fat.

Here's a video with an explanation. It seems that a lot of people can't grasp this concept. This may help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-maximize-fat-burning

I don't just think this diet works, I KNOW this diet works. It worked on me and it has worked for many others. I have lost weight and vastly improved my health markers. So if you don't believe me that's OK, stick with your weight watchers and low-fat diets. It's not for everyone, I admit it.
No, I comprehend very well.

This sums up my position:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/fat-burning-foods/

And, considering I lost 60 lbs eating a conventional balanced diet and don't have to deal with eating a certain way to maintain a "fat burning state"... I wholeheartedly agree with the article. To be honest, all you can eat seeds, coconut oil, avocados, whatever "good fats" isn't appealing to me at all. I'd rather just stay overweight to enjoy a variety.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,774 times
Quote:
Unhealthy? Are you overweight? I assume you are since you are dieting. I have never heard of going below a certain amount of calories being unhealthy.
Well, it is unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories per day, especially long-term. It is very difficult to get the USRDA of all the nutrients the body needs on less than that. Long-term severe caloric restriction like that will also damage your metabolism. There is a reason the USRDAs are what they are, and why the recommended caloric intakes are what they are.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I just have trouble with any diet that limits vegetables and low-sugar fruits as severely as keto does.
Ketogenic diets are risky, for all the reasons you mention. The fact about human physiology is that the brain needs glucose to function, and the best source of glucose is carbohydrate. Many people talk about how they lost so much weight so fast on keto diets but they eat a bowl of spaghetti and they magically gain 5 pounds overnight. That is water because your body uses more water to process protein than carbohydrate. (This is another reason keto diets are not so great. Too many people get dehydrated on them. Then they wonder why, between their brains not having enough glucose and their body not having enough water, they get nauseated, dizzy, and light-headed and they cannot concentrate so well.)

I must add for giggles that keto-breath stinks.

I enjoy your posts here. You really know your stuff!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Ketogenic diets are risky, for all the reasons you mention. The fact about human physiology is that the brain needs glucose to function, and the best source of glucose is carbohydrate. Many people talk about how they lost so much weight so fast on keto diets but they eat a bowl of spaghetti and they magically gain 5 pounds overnight. That is water because your body uses more water to process protein than carbohydrate. (This is another reason keto diets are not so great. Too many people get dehydrated on them. Then they wonder why, between their brains not having enough glucose and their body not having enough water, they get nauseated, dizzy, and light-headed and they cannot concentrate so well.)

I must add for giggles that keto-breath stinks.

I enjoy your posts here. You really know your stuff!
When I was on Atkins many years ago it was advised to drink as much water as possible. I already drink a ton of water just naturally and apparently it wasn't enough. Its a strange way to exist. That diet really grossed me out.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
When I was on Atkins many years ago it was advised to drink as much water as possible. I already drink a ton of water just naturally and apparently it wasn't enough. Its a strange way to exist. That diet really grossed me out.
Any diet that demonizes carrots and encourages butter is just plain stupid.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,097 times
I started the Keto diet this week and I must say, it's working very well. I do get the light headedness from time to time but that is the only drawback so far, otherwise I'm shrinking daily. I don't think this way of eating for the rest of my life will work out and will want some balance as I progress to my weight goal. I want to do the Keto diet like 6 days a week and maybe one cheat day. I feel if I don't have a cheat day that I'm going to hit a wall and start splurging on sugar and carbs full time. Will the cheat day or a cheat meal ruin my ketosis?

Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I started the Keto diet this week and I must say, it's working very well. I do get the light headedness from time to time but that is the only drawback so far, otherwise I'm shrinking daily. I don't think this way of eating for the rest of my life will work out and will want some balance as I progress to my weight goal. I want to do the Keto diet like 6 days a week and maybe one cheat day. I feel if I don't have a cheat day that I'm going to hit a wall and start splurging on sugar and carbs full time. Will the cheat day or a cheat meal ruin my ketosis?
You will go out of ketosis once you give your body carbs to burn. It will burn those first and then go back to fat. I do not think it is particularly healthy to subject your body to changes like that.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Obviously. That's what I said earlier but you were unable to comprehend it. Glucose is essential. The body can synthesize glucose from proteins, however, so consuming 120 grams of carbohydrates is not necessary. That only makes sense. The human body is capable of storing only limited amounts of carbohydrates and yet can survive for weeks without eating anything at all precisely because a calorie is a calorie. The ability to substitute ketone bodies (broken down from fats) or amino acids for glucose is where the keto diet gets its name. Glucose is the primary energy source, not the only energy source. A calorie is a calorie. We're adapted to be able to use calories from carbohydrates, proteins, or fats largely interchangeably. If that wasn't the case and calories weren't calories, people eating keto or going without eating for more than a few days would simply die.
Quote:
Of course it works. A calorie is a calorie. If you added an extra five pounds of bacon a day to your diet, however, you would not lose weight. That's over 10,000 additional calories per day. I mean, bacon only has about a gram of carbohydrates per pound so on your diet you could theoretically eat 20 pounds per meal. That wouldn't be possible, of course. Go ahead and try eating just a gram of carbohydrates from bacon with every meal though. Let us know how your weight is doing after a week of adding just 3 grams of carbohydrates per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss