Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 AM

348 posts, read 415,719 times

Advertisements

Alright, folks. Sorry to hit you up with such an odd topic, but I started a new diet last October. My SO has been on it for a while as well. It's called the keto (ketogenic) diet.
The basics:
High fat, medium protein, ridiculously low carbs.
What this means in a nutshell is we eat a lot of fatty meats, but no typical KC BBQ sauce or too sweet rubs.
We don't eat rice, bread or potatoes. We do eat some vegetables and salads.

Now, my SO, he loves some ribeye, prime rib, and brisket.
Me, I'm a pork person (and sometimes chicken / turkey).

This post isn't about the diet or weight loss, though. We need places to eat when we visit my mom next month! She's right off the Plaza, if that makes any difference (it shouldn't - we both have cars).

What I've noticed at a lot of restaurants is that they use a lot of carb fillers on that $20+ plate. Sure, I could ask them to leave it off, but they tend to build and price the plate around it being full of that high carb stuff, and I don't think that's quite worth paying for at that point. I know some places will do substitutions, but they also usually already include a salad...which is probably what I'd sub in. heh

Can you guys think of any places where the meat is the star and won't break the bank (probably won't be doing the Brazilian place because of the high price)? Maybe somewhere that offers it a la cart? Steak, ribs, pork chops, kebabs even?
Where's the best ribeye in KC?
We are going to be hitting up McGonigle's for sure (last time my SO and I were there, he had some awesome ribs we took home to eat that they had been smoking all morning out front). My mom is thinking The Local Pig might have prepared food as well. They look like they're primarily a...um...how would you describe it...a foodie boutique butcher? Like something I might find in San Francisco in the Ferry Building. It looks like they might have a few "of the day" specials, too, though, and they just opened a shop on Westport.
Speaking of Westport, I'm thinking maybe the Westport Grill for a bunless burger. I vaguely recall back in the 80s that it was pretty awesome and not too pricey.
I'm familiar with most of the chains available in Kansas City. Any other suggestions for us?

Why am I asking you guys this if I'm originally from Missouri and spent time in KC? Well, it's because for the past 26 years, I didn't eat any meats except for seafood. Last couple times I was in KC, I was just "OMG look at all the great gluten-free places!", but my diet's changed since then, so I could use a little help from some folks who might have a broader sampling of restaurants to pull from.

-T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Houston's on the Plaza has great prime rib and it comes with a baked potato but I know you can substitute a vegetable. Not sure if they would let you substitute a salad (but maybe), but their traditional salad is wonderful and is $5 when you add it to a meal.

Fogo de Chao - expensive, but all the meat you can eat (all different kinds) and salad bar. You said you probably won't be going there - but it sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for other than the price! They usually have deals for restaurant week but you won't be here till next month...

Chuys on the Plaza has a happy area with free taco fixings set up buffet style. You could go there and just eat the meat/no taco shells or tortillas.

Jack Stack BBQ. I know you said no KC type BBQ, but when I have ordered brisket or pulled pork, they don't pour sauce over it. They give you sauce on the side to put on yourself if you like. I'm sure they probably use some type of rub, though, but unless you are eating the outer layer not sure that would matter.

The best ribeye in Kansas City is one you cook yourself. Honestly, I have never found anyplace that cooks ribeye better than the ones we have at home. We buy ours at Hen House (they cut them thicker than other stores, or at least my store does) or McGonigles.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
Oh yeah, Chuy's. It's based here in Austin, and I still have yet to go there.
Thanks for letting me know Jack Stack serves the sauce on the side! I loves me some KC style BBQ, but can't do the sauce.

*checks into Houston's* HAH! Not surprisingly, it's a chain...with locations in Houston, TX. I would never have guessed.

Appreciate the tips!

-T.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Oh yeah, Chuy's. It's based here in Austin, and I still have yet to go there.
Thanks for letting me know Jack Stack serves the sauce on the side! I loves me some KC style BBQ, but can't do the sauce.

*checks into Houston's* HAH! Not surprisingly, it's a chain...with locations in Houston, TX. I would never have guessed.

Appreciate the tips!

-T.
Houston's is a chain (owned by Hillstone, which owns several different restaurants), but my husband likes their prime rib better than any restaurant in Kansas City, including local steakhouses.

Jack Stack does not serve the sauce on the side for everything, but when I have ordered brisket and pulled pork by the pound, it was on the side. So if you go there be sure to tell them to serve it on the side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: