Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

First let me say that i'm not here to debate low carb vs low fat diet as i'm only passing along the info so other's can make their own decisions on diet etc.

Here's a study published by researcher's at the Duke Prostate Center in which mice with Prostate Cancer were fed one of three diets i.e. a very High Fat/No Carb, a very High Carb/Low Fat and a Moderate Fat/High Carb (Western Diet) and the mice who consume the Low Carb diet survived 40 to 50 percent longer than the other two diet groups.

For those interested.
Carbohydrate Restriction May Slow Prostate Tumor Growth - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Great post. No real surprise here. After all "sugar feeds cancer" as the saying goes. PPL on lower carb diets also have lower heart disease risk factors, mainly triglycerides.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Great post. No real surprise here. After all "sugar feeds cancer" as the saying goes. PPL on lower carb diets also have lower heart disease risk factors, mainly triglycerides.
Exactly. There is alot of horrible misinformation out there about low carb diets, yet everyone I've known (and I've known quite a few) who has followed them correctly have come out healthier than before.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
The low carb everyone is referring to is simple refined grains. Unfortunately, too many people think they can't have whole grains which is a complex carb.
Carbs are fuel for the body. Diets like Atkins and related set oneself up for surgery later.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The low carb everyone is referring to is simple refined grains. Unfortunately, too many people think they can't have whole grains which is a complex carb.
Carbs are fuel for the body. Diets like Atkins and related set oneself up for surgery later.

Whole Grains, like refined grains turn to sugar in the blood. Granted it takes longer but whole grains also contain anti-nutrients which block the absorption of vitamins/minerals from the grain. They wreak havoc on your digestive system. If you MUST eat grains I reccommend soaked/sprouted grains since the vitamins/minerals can be absorbed.If you never ate grains another day in your life not only would you be fine but perhaps even healthier.

The only carbs I get are from non starchy vegetables and occasional fruit. I feel great.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
And they're correct. Whole grain bread can have anywhere from 10 to 25 carbs per slice, so one sandwich could easily put someone over the low carb threshold if they are on that diet.

Quote:
Carbs are fuel for the body.
The low carb teaches your body to burn off fat for fuel instead of the carbs. This is how our bodies are naturally meant to work.

Quote:
Diets like Atkins and related set oneself up for surgery later.
Absolute myth. As I stated in my previous post, Ive known many people who have gone on these type of diets and lost substantial weight while also seeing substantial drops chloestrol, triglycerides, and blood sugar level. There have also been many studies done in the last three decades that show the low carb diets being very good for heart health.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Whole Grains, like refined grains turn to sugar in the blood. Granted it takes longer but whole grains also contain anti-nutrients which block the absorption of vitamins/minerals from the grain. They wreak havoc on your digestive system. If you MUST eat grains I reccommend soaked/sprouted grains since the vitamins/minerals can be absorbed.If you never ate grains another day in your life not only would you be fine but perhaps even healthier.

The only carbs I get are from non starchy vegetables and occasional fruit. I feel great.
Great post. I've been keeping my carbs under 30g a day and feel great as well. My energy and concentration levels have increased quite a bit.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And they're correct. Whole grain bread can have anywhere from 10 to 25 carbs per slice, so one sandwich could easily put someone over the low carb threshold if they are on that diet.

The low carb teaches your body to burn off fat for fuel instead of the carbs. This is how our bodies are naturally meant to work.

Absolute myth. As I stated in my previous post, Ive known many people who have gone on these type of diets and lost substantial weight while also seeing substantial drops chloestrol, triglycerides, and blood sugar level. There have also been many studies done in the last three decades that show the low carb diets being very good for heart health.
Maybe you have known people that have lost alot of weight with that fad diet, so what? It's not healthy in the long run.
Saturated fats are not good for the heart. Period.
Try taking a look at who sponsored the studies. It's usually special interest groups with their own agendas. I do not pay attention to "studies" since they are always biased.
I will be sticking with what I know and has been proven.
To each their own. Have a good day.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe you have known people that have lost alot of weight with that fad diet, so what? It's not healthy in the long run.
Try taking a look at who sponsored the studies. It's usually special interest groups with their own agendas. I do not pay attention to "studies" since they are always biased.
I will be sticking with what I know and has been proven.
To each their own. Have a good day.
Whats been proven? That Americans are all overweight? Since you don't pay attention to "studies" what makes you so sure saturated fat is bad?..lol

You are just purputrating the same ridiculous myth that has been passed down for a few misinformed generations now. I will say it again saturated fat from certain animal sources is not only healthy but beneficial. You do realize that there is a daily requirement on saturated fat consumption don't you? Reason being its in every cell in your body providing them with stiffness and integrity. W/out saturated fat your cells will become weak.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe you have known people that have lost alot of weight with that fad diet, so what?
They've lost alot of weight while seeing cholesterol, triglyceride and blood sugar levels drop dramatically. Many studies have shown this to be true in almost all people on low carb diets.

And this "fad" diet has been around for nearly four decades and has been very popular with body builders and other professional athletes.

Quote:
It's not healthy in the long run.
Then why have virtually all the people who've been on it become healthier? Why are the people who've been doing this since the early 70's still in good phyiscal condition?

Quote:
This is true, however you must keep in mind that the whole point of a low carb diet is training your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Whatever slight increase (and then some) you see in saturated fat is negated by the fact that it's been offed as fuel. This is exactly why my friends and many others have seen their chloestrol and triglyceride levels drop significantly on this diet. Also, your essential fatty acid intake is increased dramatically on these diets, especially Omega 3's which are taken both naturally and in supplement form.

Quote:
There are plenty of studies that are "unbiased" and even the ones that are"biased" mirror the results of others who have been on this diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer