Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM

1,353 posts, read 788,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It's tough because you want to eat high-fat for optimal ketosis. The problem is, if you need a certain minimum about of calories and you want it coming from a very high % of fat, your body may have a hard time processes all of those fat calories. I think that is why fatty-stools and pale stools can be and sometimes are a common thing with the keto-diet.
We need Potassium in our diet, which comes from bananas and potatoes. However, they are banned by keto. Overall, this diet looks dangerous. You may lose weight, but get some new health conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
We need Potassium in our diet, which comes from bananas and potatoes. However, they are banned by keto. Overall, this diet looks dangerous. You may lose weight, but get some new health conditions.
Diet is not dangerous, keep reading. Excessive glucose (carbs) intake IS dangerous over time and many don't even know it or realize it.

Potatoes and bananas are not the only source.

One banana has 422mg potassium. Potato is higher at 897mg but 37g of carbs and it is highly glycemic meaning it will spike your blood sugar significantly and create an insulin response (not good).

1 cup of cooked Spinach = 839mg
1 average avocado =690mg
1 medium zucchini = 512mg
3 oz salmon = 416mg
4 oz beef = 384mg
1 cup of mushrooms = 323mg
1 cup caulifower = 320mg
1 oz almonds = 200mg

Magnesium is very important as well and often overlooked. There are many low carb sources for that as well.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Any diet can be dangerous if applied in an unwise fashion.

Nuts, dairy and seafood are good sources of potassium.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
Quote:
Dr. A. Katz and Dr. R. Arnot found animal fat is the main "food" for the cancer cells. They multiply fast, as they find this fat.
Therefore my concern is: how safe is this diet, if the major % of diet is animal fat?
I can cite other studies from doctors that state that cancer feeds on sugar. Carbs turn to sugar as it digests. I guess one just has to decided which study you can get behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Diet is not dangerous, keep reading. Excessive glucose (carbs) intake IS dangerous over time and many don't even know it or realize it.

Potatoes and bananas are not the only source.

One banana has 422mg potassium. Potato is higher at 897mg but 37g of carbs and it is highly glycemic meaning it will spike your blood sugar significantly and create an insulin response (not good).

1 cup of cooked Spinach = 839mg
1 average avocado =690mg
1 medium zucchini = 512mg
3 oz salmon = 416mg
4 oz beef = 384mg
1 cup of mushrooms = 323mg
1 cup caulifower = 320mg
1 oz almonds = 200mg

Magnesium is very important as well and often overlooked. There are many low carb sources for that as well.
I was going to post this exact thing. Truth is bananas and potatoes might have potassium but will spike your blood sugar and cause more issues. There are other foods that give you more potassium without the negative side effects.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
my diet with exercise not only caused weight loss, but I'm stronger, have a lot of endurance, and I'm fit. I'll take it.

not exercising is cheating yourself. if you are physically able to do so, it is borderline neglect to not be at least somewhat active.

kudos to all of the overweight people I see at the gym trying to improve not only their waistlines but their health.
Yes, exercise is VERY important but NOT for weight loss. It is widely known that diet=90% and exercise=10%. There are exceptions of course for athletes and people that spend many hours exercising, like long distance runners, basketball and soccer players etc. For the rest of us, an hour walking/jogging or in the gym will not make very much difference at all. Those are the facts. I know you are BIG proponent of calories in/out so maybe this makes more sense to you.

For me as an example, I weigh 230lbs.

I will burn
834 calories from 8 hours of sleep.
745 calories cycling for 1 hour, 10 miles distance (10 to 12 mph)

You can calculate your own numbers based on your weight here.

Calories burned sleeping calculator
Calories Burned Biking / Cycling Calculator

I repeat, exercise is very important for health in general. If you don't use it you will lose it.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Sugar and cancer:

https://www.cancercenter.com/discuss...r-feed-cancer/

Cancer and sugar: Does changing your diet starve cancerous cells? - Health - ABC News

https://www.mdanderson.org/publicati...ove-sugar.html

Just like sugar doesn't "cause" diabetes. Eating too much of it contributes to obesity, which in turn can contribute to cancer and diabetes...

Takeaway - eat refined sugar in moderation as much possible, preferring natural sugars over ding dongs. Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight is a proven risk factor for many illnesses, not just cancer and diabetes. Diabetes is so prevalent because we're fatter. Being active also helps. Though cancer doesn't discriminate and there are plenty of non-overweight and fit people who are diagnosed with cancer.

From what I've read in several articles, people who are lean and active don't have the same insulin problems as those who are overweight (unless they have a metabolic disorder, of course. I'm hypertensive, and weight loss hasn't changed that).

Old 05-26-2018, 02:14 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
FALSE. Overeating makes you fat.

Well if that’s the case I shouldn’t be fat I walk an hour a day , swim an hour a day and definitely don’t overeat. However it seems a slow metabolism , in conjunction with meds that don’t help , and I am fat. I don’t eat sweets,pies,cakes or cookies, and no fast food. I can’t increase my exercises due to back and leg problems that I currently work with a physical therapist. Right now I am working on the paleo diet plan which suits me as I love fruits and vegetables and cutting out all the carbs for now is making a difference.
https://www.prevention.com/weight-lo...u-gain-weight/
Sometimes it sneaks up on those with a healthy diet due to menopause and age and realizing you can’t eat the same way or same foods anymore.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...n/art-20046058

Maybe people should not assume that the only reason people are overweight is because they overeat.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
I'm with riaelise on this one. While the effects of a keto diet might have slightly better blood chemistry profiles than those of other diet types, exercise will also help markedly, to improve your overall health. Who wants to look like a deflated balloon with flaps of skin hanging loosely around your "thinner self"? Exercise helps to shape your body and its underlying musculature, so that as you lose weight, you'll look and feel a lot better. The younger you are when you do this, the better off you'll be!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I did Atkins for 6th months and had to take supplements. My legs felt like they had lead in them. I was also totally disgusted with the food and had to go off of it. I did much better and felt much better when I went back to being an omnivore and getting all my nutrients from food.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well if that’s the case I shouldn’t be fat I walk an hour a day , swim an hour a day and definitely don’t overeat. However it seems a slow metabolism , in conjunction with meds that don’t help , and I am fat. I don’t eat sweets,pies,cakes or cookies, and no fast food. I can’t increase my exercises due to back and leg problems that I currently work with a physical therapist. Right now I am working on the paleo diet plan which suits me as I love fruits and vegetables and cutting out all the carbs for now is making a difference.
https://www.prevention.com/weight-lo...u-gain-weight/
Sometimes it sneaks up on those with a healthy diet due to menopause and age and realizing you can’t eat the same way or same foods anymore.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...n/art-20046058

Maybe people should not assume that the only reason people are overweight is because they overeat.
You are an exception due to your health and the meds you take. The VAST majority of people are fat because they OVEREAT. It aint rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss