Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You are an exception due to your health and the meds you take. The VAST majority of people are fat because they OVEREAT. It aint rocket science.
Best not to assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Best not to assume.
What exactly am I assuming?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think it is safe to assume most people are over weight due to overeating and under exercising.

Yeah, hitting 50 my metabolism slowed down, it is what it is. I also put on weight that I had a horrible time taking off while on Lyrica, and as soon as I came off it I lost 20 pounds barely trying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it is safe to assume most people are over weight due to overeating and under exercising.

Yeah, hitting 50 my metabolism slowed down, it is what it is. I also put on weight that I had a horrible time taking off while on Lyrica, and as soon as I came off it I lost 20 pounds barely trying.

When I see an overweight person I assume nothing ,I don’t know them or what they do or don’t do.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I am not sure why people think carbs are the culprit. It just doesn't make sense.
Carbs alone are not the culprit. If you eat too many simple carbs, you never feel full, so you keep eating more. Nobody needs to eat white flour and sugar, so why do we, if it will keep us at a healthy weight?

Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, calories make you fat. Doesn't matter if they're carbs, fats, or proteins. Calories in > calories out = get fat. Simple.

Fats are very easy to overeat on as they contain a lot of calories. I've got this fairly weeny sized 5.5 oz container of almonds on my desk I picked up when I didn't have time to get lunch. That suckers got 960 calories in it, 720 of them from fat. It's a fast food meal's worth of calories in a few handfuls.
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. From 2008-09, when I was 55 years old, I lost 47 pounds in nine months by eating whatever I wanted BUT I kept my daily calorie intake to an average of 1200-1400 calories a day (started out at 1400, then dropped it to 1200 after I 'plateaued') -- I kept a very faithful diet journal.

However, in the past year, I did the exact same thing I did back then for three different periods of three weeks each, and I did not lose even a single pound during any of those diet periods. (I had gradually gained back all the weight I had lost over nine years) I was about to give up and resign myself to being chubby for the rest of my life when someone recommended the Primal Blueprint Diet. Well, I started that eight days ago, and I have lost eight pounds, according to my bathroom scale!

(I have listed the basics of the diet elsewhere in this forum, but if anyone wants to know the details, just Google it.)

Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. From 2008-09, when I was 55 years old, I lost 47 pounds in nine months by eating whatever I wanted BUT I kept my daily calorie intake to an average of 1200-1400 calories a day (started out at 1400, then dropped it to 1200 after I 'plateaued') -- I kept a very faithful diet journal.

However, in the past year, I did the exact same thing I did back then for three different periods of three weeks each, and I did not lose even a single pound during any of those diet periods. (I had gradually gained back all the weight I had lost over nine years) I was about to give up and resign myself to being chubby for the rest of my life when someone recommended the Primal Blueprint Diet. Well, I started that eight days ago, and I have lost eight pounds, according to my bathroom scale!

(I have listed the basics of the diet elsewhere in this forum, but if anyone wants to know the details, just Google it.)
maybe as you age, you have to change dieting tactics i guess? whatever works though. but I personally wouldn't drop fruit. fruit has so many benefits.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:51 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
^^ I do eat strawberries on this diet, as my husband makes a wonderful frozen smoothie: 1 pint strawberries, 1/4 c. half and half, and ice -- no sugar or sweeteners (2 servings).

Cantaloupe, watermelon and blueberries are also 'good' fruits, as long as you don't eat a great many blueberries! In short,the diet says to just avoid fruits with a high sugar content, like grapes.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:24 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

As we age our bodies resist weight loss, especially for women. As long as you can stick your diet for the long haul you will probably be successful.
I cannot do any type of diet that eliminates food groups. Been there done that. My weight fluctuates by about 5-8 pounds give or take, and I am fine with that.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:

With age, we burn less calories because we move less. You may have to repeat your old experiment and drop the calorie count to 1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss