Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,182,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I was eating about 1850 calories a day(I'm a breastfeeding mom, and I work out 6 days a week and do resistance training) and nope I didn't lose a pound. The only thing that happened is my stomach got extremely flat and I lost a couple of inches.
Oh yes....it most have been that you were eating whole foods instead of some other factor. That makes sense......

Quote:
However my sister was overweight just last year(she was 165 at 5ft2) and she lost weight just doing insanity and still eating the way she was before. She is now 130 and 5ft2 and still eats what she wants and the only catch is that she does work out at least a few days a week.
People who are overweight achieve short-term weight-loss all the time, the difficult part for people is losing the weight and keeping it off long-term. This, long-term weight loss, is only going to occur if you change your dietary lifestyle.

Quote:
However what I eat will not effect me negatively since I still consume plenty of fruits, some veggies, and still drink a ton of water and workout most days out of the week.
Eating fruit and "some veggies" will not protect you from the health consequences of other foods in your diet, what matters is your entire diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,853,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oh yes....it most have been that you were eating whole foods instead of some other factor. That makes sense......

People who are overweight achieve short-term weight-loss all the time, the difficult part for people is losing the weight and keeping it off long-term. This, long-term weight loss, is only going to occur if you change your dietary lifestyle.

Eating fruit and "some veggies" will not protect you from the health consequences of other foods in your diet, what matters is your entire diet.
I'm sure there was another factor that may have contributed to me not losing weight while eating clean but my point was that eating clean was not working for me. The benefits I experienced from eating clean were a very flat stomach and energy. That was it. I lost no weight. It became stringent--I couldn't even go out to eat with friends, or when my dad came to visit I couldn't go out and eat with him for fear that the food would be "unclean"(LOL). When my "so" would order a pizza on football sundays, I couldn't eat a slice(and I enjoy pizza). To me(and this is my opinion) eating clean was a high maintenance diet. It required me to cook several meals in advance, and cook all the time(it felt like), I felt like I was spending far more money than I usually do, etc. And what is true for any great diet with great results is that it has to work for you, and work with your lifestyle. If you can see yourself maintaining a "certain" diet forever than it is the right diet for you. If you know you can't, but do the diet anyway, be prepared to gain weight back. Truthfully I could not see myself being so stringent the rest of my life. I rarely eat processed foods(beyond candy), but I like white flour(which is a no-no for a lot of clean eaters), I like white potatoes, I like white rice. I don't like restricting myself and I felt restricted. Life is better for ME, when I feel like I have options in terms of what I can eat, where I don't feel this constant pressure about what I'm eating(all the time) and to where I'm not having to count how many ingredients are in foods. I like going out to eat and I'm a foodie that loves to cook. Being unrestricted and less stringent works best for me. If you want to eat "clean" and eat whole foods, then be my guest. I'd rather develop a healthy relationship with food, and with myself, and just enjoy life. :-)
BTW My sister has been 130 pounds for the last 8 months. She hasn't had a problem maintaining her weight eating the way she always has, and working out 5 times a week.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The benefits I experienced from eating clean were a very flat stomach and energy. That was it. I lost no weight.
You were eating this way for what? 1 month? 2 months? The benefits of "clean" eating to your long-term health, not short term weight loss, etc.

Quote:
It became stringent--I couldn't even go out to eat with friends, or when my dad came to visit I couldn't go out and eat with him for fear that the food would be "unclean"(LOL). When my "so" would order a pizza on football sundays, I couldn't eat a slice(and I enjoy pizza). To me(and this is my opinion) eating clean was a high maintenance diet. It required me to cook several meals in advance, and cook all the time(it felt like), I felt like I was spending far more money than I usually do, etc.
You made it stringent, and you made it high maintenance. Unless you're exclusively going to junk-food restaurants, they will have whole food options. Cooking "clean meals" doesn't need to be anymore time consuming than other meals, unless of course you're comparing it to microwave meals.

Also, clean eating isn't "a diet", its a lifestyle change. If you're not willing to change your lifestyle, then yes, its not for you. That is a lot different than it "not working for you" on health grounds though...

Regardless, if you want to eat whatever you want to eat...then that is your choice. But to pretend that it won't have health consequences, well, that doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
BTW My sister has been 130 pounds for the last 8 months. She hasn't had a problem maintaining her weight eating the way she always has, and working out 5 times a week.
Right....and 8 months is rather short-term. To say it again, people don't have that much trouble losing weight....they have trouble keeping it off. People yo-yo......

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,853,722 times
Quote:
You were eating this way for what? 1 month? 2 months? The benefits of "clean" eating to your long-term health, not short term weight loss, etc.

You made it stringent, and you made it high maintenance. Unless you're exclusively going to junk-food restaurants, they will have whole food options. Cooking "clean meals" doesn't need to be anymore time consuming than other meals, unless of course you're comparing it to microwave meals.

Also, clean eating isn't "a diet", its a lifestyle change. If you're not willing to change your lifestyle, then yes, its not for you. That is a lot different than it "not working for you" on health grounds though...

Regardless, if you want to eat whatever you want to eat...then that is your choice. But to pretend that it won't have health consequences, well, that doesn't make much sense.

Right....and 8 months is rather short-term. To say it again, people don't have that much trouble losing weight....they have trouble keeping it off. People yo-yo......
The way I eat now will still benefit my health in the long term. I still eat veggies, I still eat fruit, I still eat protein. I only drink water and I workout 6 times a week. I'm not worried about my long term health because I know that I do eat right for me.

A diet IS a lifestyle change. Any diet you go on, should be a lifestyle change. When you go on a diet with a temporary mindset that is how you gain weight because you "go off" in order for any diet to work in the long term you have to eat that way forever(essentially).

You're probably right that I MADE it stringent for myself, but I've done research and I've been on other forums with "former" clean eaters that came to a similar conclusion.

I'm not worried about my long term health because ultimately despite introducing "white foods" into my diet and not completely banning processed foods, I still eat fruits, and veggies, and protein.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not worried about my long term health because ultimately despite introducing "white foods" into my diet and not completely banning processed foods, I still eat fruits, and veggies, and protein.
And, as I mentioned before, eating some fruits and veggies will not correct the health consequences of eating other foods. Nor does exercise.... That is just wishful thinking....

But regardless, you seemed to be expecting some magical short-term results of "clean eating" but that isn't the point, long-term health is the point. Now, you can believe that eating junk is going to promote your long-term health because you eat some fruits and veggies.....and well...you'll have to deal with the consequences of that one day.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,330,368 times
Quote:
And, as I mentioned before, eating some fruits and veggies will not correct the health consequences of eating other foods. Nor does exercise.... That is just wishful thinking....

But regardless, you seemed to be expecting some magical short-term results of "clean eating" but that isn't the point, long-term health is the point. Now, you can believe that eating junk is going to promote your long-term health because you eat some fruits and veggies.....and well...you'll have to deal with the consequences of that one day.
Dude, she said she doesn't eat much processed food, and tries to eat as well as possible. I fail to see how this is going to have dire consequences. I fail even more to see why you insist on harping on her about it.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Dude, she said she doesn't eat much processed food, and tries to eat as well as possible. I fail to see how this is going to have dire consequences. I fail even more to see why you insist on harping on her about it.
Yes she said that and when people in this country say they don't eat "much processed food and try to eat well", it usually means they eat pretty poorly. That is because, people in this country have a rather warped sense of what is and isn't healthy....that is why 2/3 of adults are overweight.

Why am I harping on it? Because this stuff has serious consequences..... If people want to eat junk, that's their choice, just realize that those choices will undoubtedly have health consequences.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Yes, but you made your point about 15 posts ago - and every subsequent post since then. Enough already. Also, you're not monitoring her food intake, so why not just give her the benefit of the doubt, and just lay off? You're not the food police.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Yes, but you made your point about 15 posts ago - and every subsequent post since then. Enough already. Also, you're not monitoring her food intake, so why not just give her the benefit of the doubt, and just lay off? You're not the food police.
Benefit of what doubt? She tried to eat "clean" for a few weeks and is now eating junk food again and is criticizing "clean eating".

Yep, I'm not the food police, and to say it once again....if someone wants to eat junk that is their business. That is a personal choice, but the consequences of eating junk isn't a personal choice and eating some fruits and veggies doesn't correct for the consequences of eating junk.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

WE GET IT. You've said the same thing many times now. Please, just back off already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss