Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,516,811 times

Advertisements

To the Original Poster: I know this is off topic and I do apologize and will not post anything further off topic, I promise.

Claire_F: Have you tried the "Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day"? It is wonderful and so easy to make and you keep the already prepared dough in the fridge and one batch makes like 7 loaves worth of dough (I think, I don't remember exactly). It is a basic dough that you can adapt to any type of bread you want. I know there you can get it on kindle and iPhone in their Books app and you can get a hard copy at a book shop or on amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,327,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I need to check their website and see if I can start my own sourdough starter - I'd love to make sourdough bread weekly. I am sick of store bought bread and I love baking bread. I need to bake some tomorrow after this rain/front is past.
Yes, you can. Here's the link to their instructions. I bought their starter, as well as the crock. (I love the crock!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
To the Original Poster: I know this is off topic and I do apologize and will not post anything further off topic, I promise.

Claire_F: Have you tried the "Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day"? It is wonderful and so easy to make and you keep the already prepared dough in the fridge and one batch makes like 7 loaves worth of dough (I think, I don't remember exactly). It is a basic dough that you can adapt to any type of bread you want. I know there you can get it on kindle and iPhone in their Books app and you can get a hard copy at a book shop or on amazon.
I've not tried that, but I've heard of it. I may have to try it soon. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,327,055 times
Since we were going off topic, I started a thread on the subject in the Food and Wine forum. My apologies to the OP.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM

326 posts, read 706,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It doesn't matter if he's following it or not, because that is not his concern, in this thread, as the actual post of his first post demonstrates. He is asking about advice on revising a guide that he is intending to offer to other people, and asking for critique and revision assistance.

Since he THANKED me for the information, and seems to have no problem with my posts in response to him, it's easy to conclude that - he appreciates the information, and has no problem with it...

Yes as Anon pointed out my focus is on opinions on the guide - but for those reading the guide it might be of use in evaluating it if they know more about the author and if he follows his own diet. To answer that question I'd say predominately yes. I am 35, 6'1'', and have maintained 160lbs +/- 2 lbs for the past year that I've been tracking day to day. I stray often from my diet with the occasional pizza, fast food trip, candy bar, etc - but I always return to the core of my diet which is a wide variety of fruits and vegetables - thanks to the farmers market I get access to some really bizarre things! All carbohydrates I prepare are whole wheat or whole grain rice. I only use olive oil for cooking. I maintain 3-4 completely vegetarian meals per week at least if not more. As far as exercise, for the past year I've been doing the weekend warrior program -which is basically little activity during the weekdays (~20 minute walk RT to work), but very active weekends. Weekends start with a 5K then strength training for about 30 minutes.

Again the results I am seeing may be due to age, still relatively young at 35 and genetics - my brothers are also lean/fit. So I try not to let personal experience guide my opinions about diet and exercise - So many factors play out and affect our health that to try to pin point one element of it may not be reproducible for others...

Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Yes as Anon pointed out my focus is on opinions on the guide - but for those reading the guide it might be of use in evaluating it if they know more about the author and if he follows his own diet. To answer that question I'd say predominately yes. I am 35, 6'1'', and have maintained 160lbs +/- 2 lbs for the past year that I've been tracking day to day. I stray often from my diet with the occasional pizza, fast food trip, candy bar, etc - but I always return to the core of my diet which is a wide variety of fruits and vegetables - thanks to the farmers market I get access to some really bizarre things! All carbohydrates I prepare are whole wheat or whole grain rice. I only use olive oil for cooking. I maintain 3-4 completely vegetarian meals per week at least if not more. As far as exercise, for the past year I've been doing the weekend warrior program -which is basically little activity during the weekdays (~20 minute walk RT to work), but very active weekends. Weekends start with a 5K then strength training for about 30 minutes.

Again the results I am seeing may be due to age, still relatively young at 35 and genetics - my brothers are also lean/fit. So I try not to let personal experience guide my opinions about diet and exercise - So many factors play out and affect our health that to try to pin point one element of it may not be reproducible for others...
Thanks for the info! It sounds like your plan IS working for you personally. I am on a very similar plan and it is working for me as well.

I don't do the weekend warrior thing though - I exercise moderately throughout the week.

I like the format of your plan and the attention to detail.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,167,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This has nothing to do with low carbs....eating white bread has to do with eating empty carbs and empty calories that break down quickly into sugar as opposed to high fiber carbs which are absorbed much slower causing you to feel fuller longer as well as keeping your blood sugar at a more even level.
The carbohydrates in white bread are no different than the carbohydrates in whole wheat bread, the additional fiber in whole wheat bread slows the digestion a bit which lowers the glycemic load...but not by too much. As such the effects on blood sugar are fairly similar, therefore the idea that white bread will promote weight gain but whole wheat bread doesn't makes little sense.

As for as weight loss goes, there is no real reason to avoid white bread.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

As for as weight loss goes, there is no real reason to avoid white bread.
If you are limiting your calories I would think you would want to maximize nutrition - white bread doesn't offer much in that area.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,852,630 times
I already said before, I don't think bread is a bad thing. You actually could eat nothing but bread and as long as you have a calorie deficit you would lose weight(yes even eating white bread or yeast rolls lol). I've lost weight eating nothing but fatty college food, when I had a calorie deficit and didn't feel like trying to be more nutritious. I focus more on nutrition because I've found that when I do, when I maintain the same calorie deficit I maintain eating food that isn't as nutritious I am not hungry(when I don't focus on nutrition and eat a lot of processed stuff or junk, when I tried to eat 1500 calories of it I would usually be hungry). The other reason is for energy. I have a child, so I need to not be cranky and have energy when I'm dieting. I found that when I was eating processed stuff, and things lacking the daily nutrients I needed that I was irritable and sluggish.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,111,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you are limiting your calories I would think you would want to maximize nutrition - white bread doesn't offer much in that area.
Exactly. You have to understand and know and a bit about nutrition otherwise you actually might think white bread is good for you. There is no convincing some people. Whenever I want to lose a few, I just elminate bread completely - that always does the trick.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,167,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure, but why would you want to do a calorie restricting diet in the first place? They don't work well...

My comments are just about weight gain, namely, the idea that white bread will make you gain weight while whole wheat bread will not....is not accurate. White bread is a poor source of micro-nutrients, but that doesn't mean it promotes weight gain. The reason why some people find eliminating white bread useful for weight loss is due to what people typically put on white bread: fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss