Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Moderate food intake? You mean like reduce calories?
I mean what I said, the body will moderate your food intake to match your energy output. You can rephrase that in terms of calories if you wish, but the point is the same. In contrast actively creating a caloric deficit is something the body interprets as starvation...and as such works poorly as a strategy for long-term weight loss/management.

Quote:
You give a dog too much food, he will eat it, and become overweight.
Really? That would explain all the obese wolfs and coyotes you see in the wild. There are coyotes all over the mountains here, there is no person to restrict their food intake, yet....I have yet to see an obese one. Food is rather plentiful too...

Now, if you feed your dog low quality food that they weren't meant to eat (and a lot of dog food is such), yep, they may gain weight as a result. Just like humans..... Weight gain is a common effect of feeding an animal a diet that weren't intended to consume. For example, the cattle industry does it to millions of cows year, feed them a grain-based diet and they get fat. Feed them what they are suppose to eat, namely grass, they maintain a healthy weight.

Regardless, you are trying to caste what I'm saying as absurd, yet its rooted in science. What is absurd is the idea that humans have to walk around with calculators adding up their calories each day to make sure they don't over-eat when the planet is filled with animals (including our ancestors) that are able to naturally maintain healthy weights in a large variety of environments, at different levels of activity, etc.

Last edited by user_id; 10-02-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I mean what I said, the body will moderate your food intake to match your energy output. You can rephrase that in terms of calories if you wish, but the point is the same. In contrast actively creating a caloric deficit is something the body interprets as starvation...and as such works poorly as a strategy for long-term weight loss/management.

Really? That would explain all the obese wolfs and coyotes you see in the wild. There are coyotes all over the mountains here, there is no person to restrict their food intake, yet....I have yet to see an obese one. Food is rather plentiful too...

Now, if you feed your dog low quality food that they weren't meant to eat (and a lot of dog food is such), yep, they may gain weight as a result. Just like humans..... Weight gain is a common effect of feeding an animal a diet that weren't intended to consume.
Ah, so you DO agree that limiting calories will keep the weight down. You just think that bodies should do it naturally, and for us to pay attention and do intentionally is wrong?

In part, yes, as humans in a first world country, we have a vast abundance of food at our disposal at a low cost. It tastes good, and we have a tendency to like taste, and eat for that, as opposed to hunger.

And animals in the wild will probably not expend energy to hunt down food if they are not hungry. Because they don't want to expend the effort. You leave good food for them to eat (their normal diet) and they WILL eat eat. See problems with raccoon (well, they go for food unnatural to their diet.... but THEY decide to do that because it is readily available), and bears in public parks. Just like my dog will eat until obesity if I serve him a never ending supply of chicken, eggs, beef, mice and whatever else he might have eaten in the wild.

Your animal analogy is way off base. That's why you see zoo signs saying "please do NOT feed the animals."

Why? Cause they WILL eat it. And they are already fed enough of the stuff they are supposed to eat. Same in rural areas. Bears, deer, raccoons and a host of other animals will avail themselves of human food (not their natural diet), if they can get it easily, or with a small modicum work. And yes, they get fat. Willingly.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Ah, so you DO agree that limiting calories will keep the weight down. You just think that bodies should do it naturally, and for us to pay attention and do intentionally is wrong?
If you reduce your energy intake below what your body needs to run, you will lose weight whether you do it actively (e.g., calorie counting) or whether it occurs passively (your body does it naturally). The difference is that your body understands the latter, it is after all initiating it, where as it interprets the former as starvation and as such it doesn't work long-term. So, its not that its "wrong", its that it just doesn't work well long-term and the research shows it....

Quote:
Just like my dog will eat until obesity if I serve him a never ending supply of chicken, eggs, beef, mice and whatever else he might have eaten in the wild.
Have you tried it? Of course not, you're just assuming. But, eggs, beef and other human foods aren't natural foods for dogs. Give your dog whole wild animals and some whole plant foods, all he/she wants, and see whether he becomes obese. He, like his wild counterparts, will not.....

Wild animals are presented with plentiful food sources all the time and they don't become obese, and for good reason, obesity in the wild is a death sentence. As such all animals have mechanism to prevent obesity from occurring.

Quote:
That's why you see zoo signs saying "please do NOT feed the animals."Why? Cause they WILL eat it.
That isn't the reason for the sign, zoos would love for people to supply the animals with food the problem is that people supply zoo animals with people food....not food specific to the animal. And zoo keepers know that when you feed animals foods they aren't intended to eat they become unhealthy and often become overweight. Most zoos have programs where they let you feed the animals, but they supply the food. Lettuce for giraffes, etc.

Regardless, consume the sorts of foods humans are suppose to consume and you won't become overweight, eat foods that humans aren't suppose to eat and you'll tend to become overweight. It really is that simple....the human body, like the bodies of all animals, knows how to maintain a healthy weight when you are eating the diet its use to. The idea that active calorie management is necessary to maintain a healthy weight is absurd, people are far more overweight today when we have knowledge of calories, etc than they were when we had no such knowledge.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
There is just no point to this. Carry on.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
"Regardless, consume the sorts of foods humans are suppose to consume and you won't become overweight, eat foods that humans aren't suppose to eat and you'll tend to become overweight. It really is that simple....the human body, like the bodies of all animals, knows how to maintain a healthy weight when you are eating the diet its use to. The idea that active calorie management is necessary to maintain a healthy weight is absurd, people are far more overweight today when we have knowledge of calories, etc than they were when we had no such knowledge."

This is simply untrue. You can eat all the healthiest proper 'human' food around, but if you eat too much and you don't exercise you are going to gain weight and become unhealthy.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is simply untrue. You can eat all the healthiest proper 'human' food around, but if you eat too much and you don't exercise you are going to gain weight and become unhealthy.
You're missing the point, you won't eat too much because your body will appropriately respond to the foods. Not to mention, that when you're consuming proper foods its rather difficult to overeat to much....you can only put so much food down your throat a day. Also, "calories" aren't something contained in food, its a unit of measurement. Carbohydrates, protein and fat are all metabolized differently, heck, even different carbohydrates are metabolized differently. "Calories in, calories out" is a profound simplification of a rather complicated metabolic process.....hence why calorie counting doesn't promote long-term weight loss. You have to let the body do its job....

Exercise is only important for weight-management if you are consuming an unnatural diet, it allows folks to "burn" excess that shouldn't be there in the first place....

If people prefer to consume unnatural foods and rigorously count calories, exercise, etc to a healthy maintain weight....that is their business. To me its crazy, I'd rather just eat the right sorts of foods and naturally maintain a healthy weight...and I do just that.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're missing the point, you won't eat too much because your body will appropriately respond to the foods. Not to mention, that when you're consuming proper foods its rather difficult to overeat to much....you can only put so much food down your throat a day. Also, "calories" aren't something contained in food, its a unit of measurement. Carbohydrates, protein and fat are all metabolized differently, heck, even different carbohydrates are metabolized differently. "Calories in, calories out" is a profound simplification of a rather complicated metabolic process.....hence why calorie counting doesn't promote long-term weight loss. You have to let the body do its job....

Exercise is only important for weight-management if you are consuming an unnatural diet, it allows folks to "burn" excess that shouldn't be there in the first place....

If people prefer to consume unnatural foods and rigorously count calories, exercise, etc to a healthy maintain weight....that is their business. To me its crazy, I'd rather just eat the right sorts of foods and naturally maintain a healthy weight...and I do just that.
I agree somewhat with what you are saying. I notice that my body does adapt and lets me know when I'm hungry, full, etc and when to stop. I listen to my body very carefully these days. For instance when I first had my son, and was breast feeding, I was extremely hungry, but then a few months later, my body adjusted and my hunger--though still intense, was no longer as intense and therefore I did not need the same additional calories I was eating in the beginning--the more I wean my son, the less hungry I'm becoming because the less my body needs to function(energy).

I also notice that when I eat all of the right things, I get full easily which makes it difficult to overeat to the point where I would ever gain weight. When I was eating a ton of processed foods and unnatural foods, I remember constantly feeling hungry, craving sugar, and feeling like I was a bottomless pit--which meant I could easily overeat which means weight gain fairly easily as well. It became difficult to diet(even restricting my calories) because I was constantly hungry and craving nutrients that I was not getting from the processed or unnatural foods I ate. The only way I could lose weight was my keeping close count of calories, or else it would be easy for me to overeat without realizing it.

Even when I did SBD phase 1, where I was eating natural lean meats, veggies, and only low fat or nonfat dairy--I wasn't as "hungry" as I was when I was eating nothing but simple carbs and processed foods, but my body was constantly "craving" something that it felt was missing. Initially I had assumed my body was craving the sugar I was used to eating. However I now realize, my body was craving more nutrients that it was lacking--like fruits, and a very minimal amount of REAL whole grains(these things are not allowed in phase 1). Now that I eat a balanced diet--incorporating healthy fats, grains, fruits, lean meat, and plenty of water I no longer have cravings of any sorts, I always feel content and my body is always energized. Moreso I get fuller quicker, and don't feel like a bottomless pit(as long as I'm consuming a good amount of lean protein). I don't count calories anymore but estimate that I eat about 1850 a day.

Which is fine because I still breast feed my son and I do heavy resistance training and cardio 6x a week. I'm losing weight, and losing an incredible amount of inches(without having to count calories at all). I don't watch my portions that much either I eat until I feel satisfied or full(with the help of plenty of water with each meal) the only thing I watch is making sure I eat as close to clean as possible at least 85-90% of the time and that I get at least 2-3 servings of veggies, 3-4 servings of fruit(I like fruit more) 2-3 servings of protein, and 1-1.5 servings of grains everyday and healthy fats here and there.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM

467 posts, read 665,647 times
This is the best safe food list probably in the world:
Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

No, don't drink tons of water; doing so washes the minerals and nutrients out of your body. To stay hydrated, drink nutrient rich liquids like orange juice.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
This is the best safe food list probably in the world:
Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

No, don't drink tons of water; doing so washes the minerals and nutrients out of your body. To stay hydrated, drink nutrient rich liquids like orange juice.
Saying a certain way of eating is the best is very subjective. If it works for you fine, but there is no proof that this controversial way of eating is 'the best'. And juice over water? I don't think so.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,065,609 times
All of you who think a low-carb diet is a good thing - please read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...iet.html?_r=1&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss