Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

I also just noticed that you say potatoes should be avoided. In general, I agree, but mostly because most people think of "potato" as either "french fries" or "baked and loaded with sour cream and/or butter and/or cheese etc. etc. etc."

Perhaps, instead of including it in things to avoid, you might want to include *specifically* an ungarnished whole or half baked potato, as an excellent source of potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C, when combined with a side-salad with maybe some dried cranberries, a couple tablespoons of slivered almonds, a sprinkle of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil, for example. Plus, some people might learn that a plain baked potato actually tastes delicious, exactly the way it is, if it's cooked right.

I totally agree that starches should be kept down, but I think more emphasis needs to be given to "nutrient-dense" foods, and give examples to show which foods of different categories are nutritious, vs. which ones are not, in the same category. For instance - for the sugar craving - instead of a Hershey Bar, have a half-cup of gelato. Same amount of sugar, but the gelato also has plenty of calcium and vitamin D, plus it's more *quantity* which means it'll fill you up more. Instead of potato chips for the saltiness, try feta cheese, a couple of minced calamata olives, and chunked ripe tomato with olive oil drizzled over it. You get protein, vitamin C, a little calcium and D, some vitamin A, and just a smidge of fats. And again - more content, which means more filling.

In this way, you can accentuate the positive - point out all the types of varieties that people who need to lose weight -can- eat, rather than telling them what they -can't- eat. I think that's the biggest problem with diet books and guides. They focus on what you shouldn't do, and dictate the imposed limits, in great detail. Even the Atkins "allows" you to add foods in - which implies they were originally forbidden (which they were, in that diet). Why not say instead, "You can eat plenty of this, that, the other thing, you can enjoy a few of those, a couple of those, one of these every week if you want, and as much of that stuff as you can shove down your throat if it suits you"

And - "if you have sugar cravings, try *these* sugary things, because they'll fill you and give you good nutrition." If you are dying to sink your teeth into some steak, here are some great varieties, and here's a few side-dishes you can add to make it a full meal.

Like that. It's late, I'm tired, but those are my suggestions to "layout" or a summary, for the layman who's trying to get fit. As one of those "laymen who are trying to get fit," I'm much more eager to experience what I *can* do, rather than listen to what I can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:14 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
2. Greek Yogurt is dairy. Soy milk is the milk I choose to drink since I'm lactose. I still consider it dairy and I use it along with greek yogurt to supplement for my dairy intake(since I'm not much of a cheese eater.)
Actually, according to the USDA, Calcium-fortified soymilk is part of the dairy group, so you're correct to refer to it as dairy.

I also fail to understand the need for her to be so condescending towards your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That would be white wheat, not white flour. White flour is bleached, by definition. That is why it's called white flour.

White wheat is a variety of wheat, and just like unbleached red wheat flour isn't red, unbleached white flour isn't white. It's a sort of greyish off-white color. That's what I buy too.

It's helpful when people say what they mean, if they're wanting people to actually believe what they say. So if you mean white whole wheat flour, don't say whole wheat white flour. They're two different things.
So she accidentally put the word "white" after wheat instead of before. Big freaking deal. That's an easy mistake to make, especially since you're dealing with three words all starting with "wh" all in a row. I had to double-check the link myself, since I almost made the same mistake.

I don't understand the need for such an attitude here.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM

And the above posted arguements over words and phrases and data is why I urge the OP (back on topic, remember the topic?) to be CAREFUL with definitions and his use of terms when he publishes his guide. Don't tell people to eat "plenty" of this or that, unless you define "plenty." Don't tell them to "cut down on simple carbs," if you aren't defining what "too many carbs" consists of, and give percentages and practical examples.

The average dieter (as shown in the above posts) has no idea WHY they're eating what they're eating, nor do they really care. They think that whatever book they've read is giving them good information, therefore whatever that book is saying, is right, and then they misinterpret the book (or even mis-read a label on a sack of flour) and assume that what they misunderstood, or misread, is correct. So when it comes time to try something that isn't in the book, they apply the -wrong- information to their decision process - and wonder why they gained another 10 pounds.

Nutrition is key, and understanding the concepts of nutritionally sound choices is tantamount to a healthy body. Anyone can get thin. Just stop eating, and you'll lose weight. But if you want to be *healthy,* which *includes* a certain fat-to-muscle ratio range, and a certain overall weight range (rather than a magic single number or magic BMI or whatever else), you need to eat nutritionally healthy foods, in healthy portions, in healthy proportions.

The task of the OP therefore, is to define "nutritionally healthy foods" and "healthy portions" and "healthy proportions," and put it all together in a way that the average dieter will find easy to read, easy to apply, and easy to continue long-term.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
She insists she's labelling it that way because that's what the label on the product says. It isn't. I just checked my kitchen cabinet. It specifies that it's white wheat flour, and not wheat white flour.
And in this post, she refers to it as white wheat. It's clear she made a typo, not that she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Quote:
Soy milk is considered a dairy replacement, and a dairy alternative. It is not dairy, which is a mammary secretion.
If the USDA classifies soymilk as dairy in the context of daily nutrition guides (which is, after all, the subject of this forum), then I don't see the problem with referring to it as dairy.

Really, the nitpicking and hostility here is totally unnecessary. She's not misleading anyone, or trying to lead them down a path of destruction. Sheesh.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
The reason people are being so critical is because:

1) He says he's writing a guide/book about his diet plan. It isn't even necessarily the diet _he_ consumes, it's the diet he is recommending to others.
2) He is asking for critique on the plan that he is putting together along with an exercise plan, to offer to others. He's not asking for our opinions on -his personal- choices.
1) Actually we don't know whether he follows this plan or not, but I would wager that he does, or is considering it. Let's ask him! OP, is this your personal plan?

2) Objecting critiquing and ignorantly lambasting or dismissing are two different approaches altogether. I was not addressing those who are truly critiquing his plan.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1) Actually we don't know whether he follows this plan or not, but I would wager that he does, or is considering it. Let's ask him! OP, is this your personal plan?

2) Objecting critiquing and ignorantly lambasting or dismissing are two different approaches altogether. I was not addressing those who are truly critiquing his plan.
It doesn't matter if he's following it or not, because that is not his concern, in this thread, as the actual post of his first post demonstrates. He is asking about advice on revising a guide that he is intending to offer to other people, and asking for critique and revision assistance.

Since he THANKED me for the information, and seems to have no problem with my posts in response to him, it's easy to conclude that - he appreciates the information, and has no problem with it. Perhaps you might want to follow the actual topic instead of spending all your efforts ignorantly lambasting or dismissing MY posts.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour. Milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than traditional red wheat.

I absolutely love this company and I use their products all the time. A wee bit more expensive but good quality products that just keep getting better.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I absolutely love this company and I use their products all the time. A wee bit more expensive but good quality products that just keep getting better.
Very true - and their website has so many good recipes and pointers! Top notch operation in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do, too. It's the only flour I buy. I also love that they use 100% US-grown wheat, and that the company is employee-owned. If I lived in Vermont, I'd love to work there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Very true - and their website has so many good recipes and pointers! Top notch operation in my opinion.
I love their website, too. I've used many of their recipes, all with great success. I make their sourdough bread weekly (and am just about to put another batch together), and their pizza crust is perfect - especially when you add some of their pizza seasoning and dough flavoring to it. I used to be so frustrated trying to get pizza dough to stretch without tearing. Then I found their website, with the tip on stretching a bit and letting it rest for 15 minutes, repeating this process until it stretches as much as you want. I can now make pizza with cracker-thin crust.

I also love that they're so willing to help; I've emailed them a couple of times with questions, and always get a quick response - even on a Sunday.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I do, too. It's the only flour I buy. I also love that they use 100% US-grown wheat, and that the company is employee-owned. If I lived in Vermont, I'd love to work there.

I love their website, too. I've used many of their recipes, all with great success. I make their sourdough bread weekly (and am just about to put another batch together), and their pizza crust is perfect - especially when you add some of their pizza seasoning and dough flavoring to it. I used to be so frustrated trying to get pizza dough to stretch without tearing. Then I found their website, with the tip on stretching a bit and letting it rest for 15 minutes, repeating this process until it stretches as much as you want. I can now make pizza with cracker-thin crust.

I also love that they're so willing to help; I've emailed them a couple of times with questions, and always get a quick response - even on a Sunday.
I need to check their website and see if I can start my own sourdough starter - I'd love to make sourdough bread weekly. I am sick of store bought bread and I love baking bread. I need to bake some tomorrow after this rain/front is past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss