Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM

525 posts, read 760,906 times

Advertisements

Susan is NOT interested in recently gained knowledge from SCIENCE.

She has BELIEFS she does not want to part with because they are completely at odds with the SCIENCE.

I am not commenting any further in this discussion BECAUSE it is a waste of my time.

DO THE RESEARCH. I RPOVIDED MORE THAN ENOUGH NAMES AND LINKS TO LECTURES.

OBESITY IS AN EXTREMELY COMPLEX CHRONIC DISEASE STATE and it is poorly understood currently.

All genuine researchers recognize this. This statement is IN "Modern Science vs The Stigmas of Obesity" by Dr. Jeffrey Friedman. Dr. Coleman's work is featured as well.

Dr. Douglas Coleman and Dr. Jeffrey Friedman REVOLUTIONIZED obesity research.

Their work completely switched the erroneous previous view about obesity- even among fellow scientists- going from morality/behavioral to BIOLOGY.

"Eat less, move more" NEVER was from SCIENCE AND NEVER EVER WAS VALIDATED BY SCIENCE.

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THAT.

Susan, YOU ARE GROSSLY UNEDCUATED ON THE TOPIC:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/health/he...esity-ess.html

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-25-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is why eating less and moving more is considered so difficult.

It isn't a revolutionary concept, just something that people have done over the past hundreds of years. The thing is, our society has become so sedentary, the way our infrastructure is built, the way our society is made, it encourages sedentary living. You drive to work, you sit down to work, you get up and drive home, you go home, and if you don't feel like it, you don't get up and do anything. Even with the health crazes, the big problem has as a simple solution. However, the simplest solutions are often the ones no one wants to go with. In the 1950s, you moved around more because even the suburbs were built differently, for walking. Nowadays, everything is built to encourage sitting.

Another issue is the portions in which food is served. Food is served in such large portions, and people are encouraged to eat as much as they can. Look at the fast food places. Everything gets supersized.

It starts at home, of course. However, it also starts with EVERYONE doing something about it.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM

525 posts, read 760,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why eating less and moving more is considered so difficult.

It isn't a revolutionary concept, just something that people have done over the past hundreds of years. The thing is, our society has become so sedentary, the way our infrastructure is built, the way our society is made, it encourages sedentary living. You drive to work, you sit down to work, you get up and drive home, you go home, and if you don't feel like it, you don't get up and do anything. Even with the health crazes, the big problem has as a simple solution. However, the simplest solutions are often the ones no one wants to go with. In the 1950s, you moved around more because even the suburbs were built differently, for walking. Nowadays, everything is built to encourage sitting.

Another issue is the portions in which food is served. Food is served in such large portions, and people are encouraged to eat as much as they can. Look at the fast food places. Everything gets supersized.

It starts at home, of course. However, it also starts with EVERYONE doing something about it.
Unbelievable. You read NOTHING I wrote or linked to.

BELIEF SYSTEMS ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN AN ARMY.

"Eat less ,move more " is NOT a solution for obesity and the advice does NOT come from SCIENCE. It is an UNSCIENTIFIC APPROACH.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Rick please tell us your story. Tell us how this has all worked for you. We want to know if you are dieting, struggling, at your goal weight, etc....

If I were to hazard a guess I would say you are obese and you have given up and now you are trying to find stuff to validate your decision. If I am wrong please correct me.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I LINKED A VIDEO . WATCH IT. In the video Dr Jeffrey Friedman SPECIFICALLY says "eat less move more" does NOT work.

READ DR. LINDA BACON'S MANIFESTO . SHE MENTIONS IT THERE AS WELL.

DIG.

YOU CAN FIND DR. LEIBEL'S STATEMENTS ALSO IF YOU DIG HARD ENOUGH. "People have a biology to either be fatter or thinner and WISHING ( voluntary factors) it one way or another is NOT going to change much."

DR. ROBERT LUSTIG SAYS IT AS WELL.

Fat: What the Experts Don't Know About Obesity | Alternet

YOU are very lazy. STOP BEING LAZY.
Look, it's up to you to support your claims. Calling me names will get you nowhere.

None of this addresses my question.

Where do they say that if you consume fewer calories and exercise you will not lose weight? Not that it is more difficult for some people do to it, but that if you do it, you will not lose weight? Where do they say that if you eat a healthy diet and exercise you will regain it?

Why are some people thin for many years and then gain weight? Why do some people gain weight, then lose it and keep it off?

From your link, from a woman who was thin and athletic as an adolescent, then gained 125 lb when she got an office job. She and her husband are both overweight:

"They have purchased health cook books, and admit that they really don't know how to cook. 'I have no idea how to cook chicken,' she acknowledges.

'What is chicken?' her husband asks, only half-joking."

That is the gist of this couple's problem.

Another researcher comments on the fact that exercise without weight loss reduces abdominal fat, as evidenced by a decrease in waist size. He goes on to say, "This reinforces current guidelines [that a combination of exercise and eating fewer calories] is the principal therapy for overweight and obese individuals ..." they observed. "However, the findings here extend these guidelines and provide substantial support for the recommendation that exercise without weight loss represents another strategy for obesity reduction."

Do you even read the material you are posting? The entire article is about appetite. Yes, some people have more problems dealing with it than others.

The people who come here trying to lose weight do not need for anyone to tell them to just give up because nothing they do will work and they are condemned to be fat forever.

What they need to hear is that it is all right to be hungry. That hunger means they will be burning fat. They need to know how much a portion of chicken is --- and it is not half a chicken. They need to learn how to cook.

It's not easy, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. But it can be done.

Again, please stop shouting at us. It is rude.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Rick doesn't care that he's rude. Or perhaps he's proud of it. Really, just let it go. If he bothers you, put him on ignore like I did. This thread has turned into "Everyone vs. Rick Santos" and frankly I'm disappointed. Since I have him on ignore, all I'm seeing are people posting to, or about, someone I have on ignore. Report him and ignore him, and he'll go away.

Now to address Suzy's response to Rick...Rick's "scientists" are in the process of experimenting with a couple of drugs that they are hoping will create weight loss in people who have appetite problems. Likely, they'll end up no different than Dexedrine or any of the other hundreds of appetite suppressant drugs that have come and gone through the supplement and pharmaceutical mills.

In other words, they're hoping to profit big-time, which is why they've done all these "studies." The doctors are (presently) legitimate and known researchers, but theyr'e the same types who create a theory that suits their needs, and then picks and chooses how they'll go about proving that they're right. Like the people who "prove" that smoking is good for you. They are profit-driven, rather than health-driven. And Rick Santos is their shill here on CD.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
I refuse to reply to any more of Rick's posts. It hurts my eyes to look at the caps, bolds, and colours. Plus he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I refuse to reply to any more of Rick's posts. It hurts my eyes to look at the caps, bolds, and colours. Plus he doesn't know what he's talking about.
It would have been comedic if there wasn't so much of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Rick's delivery may be intense but his message is pretty accurate. For the most part, he's right.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Rick's delivery may be intense but his message is pretty accurate. For the most part, he's right.
He's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss