Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times

Advertisements

It's very definitely "in" to downcast and be vulgar about overweight people now. Even after we as a nation tried to limit and change our diets we are heavier than ever. The "healthy" whole wheat and grains is contributing to the problem. Our food pyramid is now the same as what we feed cattle to fatten them up before slaughter. But we have deceived ourselves into thinking we are doing the right thing, results be darned. The American diet that follows the food pyramid is the leading culprit of weight gain.

Example, Quinoa. Now that is the grain to eat. However, it raises blood sugars with a glycemic index of 53 compared to table sugar at 59. And the serving size of Quinoa is far more than a spoon ful of table sugar. Who would sit down and eat a cup of table sugar right from the sugar bowl? Not too many. But more and more are eating a 1/2 cup to whole cup of Quinoa for dinner all over the country. Do the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Well, it worked for my ds15!

That was one chubby kid---and spoiled rotten. This year, we live out of the bus route district. Ok, I do drive him to school in the morning, its about 1.9 miles, just to make sure he gets there. But, he walks it home. And, I got sick of him pigging out at the school cafeteria, spending $15-$20/day!

So, I put a daily limit on his school cafeteria spending. I don't care if he spends it all on junk, he's limited in quantity. Well, the combination of eat less and walk more----he's lost about 15 pounds since school started. No fancy gyms, no diet consultations, etc, which cost more than we can afford and have me running all over town, just Eat less Move more!

Now, lets all think about this, hmmm, eat less, move more? Surely there must be some connection to weight loss?

Also, he was pre-diabetic, blood sugars around 130+. Now, he's about 110. Oh, and he sleeps through the night. Wonder, could there be a connection?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
It's very definitely "in" to downcast and be vulgar about overweight people now. Even after we as a nation tried to limit and change our diets we are heavier than ever. The "healthy" whole wheat and grains is contributing to the problem. Our food pyramid is now the same as what we feed cattle to fatten them up before slaughter. But we have deceived ourselves into thinking we are doing the right thing, results be darned. The American diet that follows the food pyramid is the leading culprit of weight gain.

Example, Quinoa. Now that is the grain to eat. However, it raises blood sugars with a glycemic index of 53 compared to table sugar at 59. And the serving size of Quinoa is far more than a spoon ful of table sugar. Who would sit down and eat a cup of table sugar right from the sugar bowl? Not too many. But more and more are eating a 1/2 cup to whole cup of Quinoa for dinner all over the country. Do the math.

People who are obese are not following the food pyramid. That is the problem.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A lot of the reason the overeat is due to genetics. Just like some people can have two beers with no problem and some people just-can't-stop drinking it's like eating. Most naturally thin people get full after an amount of calories that doesn't make them obese. Obese people don't get that same level of satisfaction until the eat so much they get gain and gain and gain weight. And, the choices thin people make aren't that much different - they still eat junk, just not as much.

another excuse. Why not be accountable for your actions...oh, that's right....it's not PC to expect ppl to actually be responsible for their health.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A lot of the reason the "due to genetics" malarchy is malarchy, is because adults are capable of knowing that there's a genetic predisposition, and are capable of adapting to their dietary needs, vs. their dietary desires.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will continue to eat more than I know I should, knowing full well that I'm very likely to become obese as a result, because I know it runs in the family."

vs.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will be more cognizant of my eating habits and watch for trouble-spots in my diet. I will be more aware, and more responsible, in consuming things I like, because I know full well that I'm very likely to become obese if I don't, because I know it runs in the family."

It's called taking responsibility for yourself and your choices. If you KNOW it runs in the family, then you KNOW you need to be more careful than the average Joe whose siblings, parents, aunts and uncles are all obese. If you choose to ignore the fact that only your Uncle Jim is slim, and your mom's sister's entire family is suffering from diabetes and your mom is obese can has constant knee problems - then you are choosing not to take responsibility for your own choices.

Not
Rocket
Science

Winner, winner baked chicken dinner!!

We can't expect ppl to think like that..they might get their feelings hurt!!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
I've only browsed through this very long thread, but this is what I've done to lose 40 pounds and have kept it off for the past year (and my age is 60):

whole grains
lots of veg (both cooked and raw) and fruit
beans, tofu, small amounts of nuts, occasional eggs
brown rice
porridge (oatmeal)
peanut butter - no real or artificial sugar added and I WEIGH the portions
jam that is pure fruit
fish
very little meat
fat free/low fat dairy
very little processed food
weigh my portions, have a lot of variety

But I always allow myself treats, just much less often than I used to - sweets, wine/beer, a bacon roll, cheese, crisps, etc.

95% of people don't keep off the weight they've lost long term. The 5% who do have some things in common: they work out a LOT, they watch portion sizes, they allow themselves treats.

I work out at a gym 3 days a week, do a spin bike class on a 4th day, do strength training at home - dumbbells, planks, squats, lunges, abs, etc etc.

I am 60, weigh 128-130 pounds, am about 22% fat, have stamina, good health. low cholesterol, normal glucose.

Blaming obesity on genetics is an excuse to remain obese. Go to a buffet restaurant and see who is eating what - the obese people skip the salads and veg - unless they are topped by mountains of cheese.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
A lot of the reason the "due to genetics" malarchy is malarchy, is because adults are capable of knowing that there's a genetic predisposition, and are capable of adapting to their dietary needs, vs. their dietary desires.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will continue to eat more than I know I should, knowing full well that I'm very likely to become obese as a result, because I know it runs in the family."

vs.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will be more cognizant of my eating habits and watch for trouble-spots in my diet. I will be more aware, and more responsible, in consuming things I like, because I know full well that I'm very likely to become obese if I don't, because I know it runs in the family."

It's called taking responsibility for yourself and your choices. If you KNOW it runs in the family, then you KNOW you need to be more careful than the average Joe whose siblings, parents, aunts and uncles are all obese. If you choose to ignore the fact that only your Uncle Jim is slim, and your mom's sister's entire family is suffering from diabetes and your mom is obese can has constant knee problems - then you are choosing not to take responsibility for your own choices.

Not
Rocket
Science
This is absolutely true. However, I think there are a lot of people who deny that a genetic predisposition even exists. It is easy for them to eat healthy all the time and exercise non-stop so it must be easy for everyone else. That just isn't true.

I have pretty much always struggled with weight and always will. I know that thanks to my genetics it is not realistic for me to be 100 pounds. I am just shooting for the upper range of healthy. It should be easy for me to stick to a strict diet but it's not. It is a daily strggle against internal thoughts/obsessions and external pressures. So far I have lost 38 pounds and it has been a challenge every step of the way. Not acknowledging the genetic factor wouldn't do me any favors. I know what I am against and I am more aware of my personal triggers.

I am sure there are people who use genetics as an excuse to become and stay obese. They don't really want to change and be responsible for their choices and their health, so they convince themselves they can't. I would be willing to bet they actually believe this. Until they have a reason to want change, nothing anyone else says will make a difference.

(please excuse any typos)

Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:

vs.

Not
Rocket
Science
Nobody is choosing to not take responsibility (whatever that means???)

BUT on the one hand, you assert people are all on the same playing field with the "make wise food choices" message but on the other hand you assert people predisposed to obesity have to try harder to remain thin. It's the "trying harder" part a lot of normally not overweight people don't understand.

If it were as easy as you implied "adapting to their dietary needs", like flipping a switch, there wouldn't be too many overweight people.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, it worked for my ds15!

That was one chubby kid---and spoiled rotten. This year, we live out of the bus route district. Ok, I do drive him to school in the morning, its about 1.9 miles, just to make sure he gets there. But, he walks it home. And, I got sick of him pigging out at the school cafeteria, spending $15-$20/day!

So, I put a daily limit on his school cafeteria spending. I don't care if he spends it all on junk, he's limited in quantity. Well, the combination of eat less and walk more----he's lost about 15 pounds since school started. No fancy gyms, no diet consultations, etc, which cost more than we can afford and have me running all over town, just Eat less Move more!

Now, lets all think about this, hmmm, eat less, move more? Surely there must be some connection to weight loss?

Also, he was pre-diabetic, blood sugars around 130+. Now, he's about 110. Oh, and he sleeps through the night. Wonder, could there be a connection?
Eat less move more is 100% correct. "Pick the right lottery numbers" is also 100% correct.
Just do it.

A lot if kids who are chubby before puberty lose the weight through puberty (like a 15 year old) and when they get older, track onto their genetic predisposition (are his parents overweight?). Also, there's big time incentive not to be chubby in middle and high school.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
another excuse.
So I am wrong? Despite what you've been trained to think, science and peer reviewed data back up my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss