Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,896,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
they don't see the reward or the pleasure in eating broiled tilapia with quinoa.
We should therefore make fun of them and insult them and ridicule them. They deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,846,326 times
Default external factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Again, because absorbing information and putting it to practical use are two different things. I can read all these posts, and say "yep you're absolutely right." But if I'm obese, and I don't put ANY of what I'm agreeing with to use for myself, then I will see no positive results.

Just like your list of tips: most of them are practical, logical, make sense, and are very likely to work. UNLESS you only read it, and continue whatever you've been doing that's been causing you to gain weight.

You have to actually change, to make changes. Reading about change, won't change a damned thing.
I agree. Its just like smoking. It says on the packet & everywhere else its bad but still people 'choose' to smoke.

Motivation to loose weight needs to come from inside. Its psychological. People need that 'push' or breaking point from the inside. Some external factors also make a huge difference like your friends & family. If they are health conscious then some of that will rub on to you as well. But if they are overweight & are constantly trying to feed you donuts, cakes then you have to fight twice as hard - with yourself & the people around you to resist the temptations. So your social circle does make a huge difference. A health scare or rising healthcare costs might be a wake up call to some people. It all depends on how you define 'normal'. Thats why I hate the idea of promoting the idea of accept me as I am. Its like some organizations are trying to make overweight the new normal. Its doing more harm than good.

I applaud the clothing industry for making it impossible to get certain clothes in big sizes. That was a big motivating factor for me to loose weight. Its difficult to find or look good in certain clothes if you dont fit into that size range. Some countries dont have a market for ready-made clothes & a majority of them buy a dress material to customize their fit. They do not have concept of 'sizes' so no wonder such society is not that conscious. It all comes down to whats that one thing motivating you to loose weight? Its the fear that will keep you working towards your goal.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
people 'choose' to smoke.

Motivation to loose weight needs to come from inside. Its psychological. People need that 'push' or breaking point from the inside.
So, the takeaway from this post is the reason people are thin is because they have more will power and make better choices?

Last edited by Charles; 10-19-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,436,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So, the takeaway from this post is the reason people are thin is because they have more will power and make better choices?
Obviously the reason they are thin is because they make better dietary and exercise choices.

The concept of "will power" is negative. It implies that someone who doe not have "will power" has a character defect.

A more positive way to look at it is that making a behavior change requires work, and that work can be broken down into stages:

The Stages of Change

Define the stage that fits your current personal situation, then there are steps to get you on the road toward your goal, whether that is losing weight, quitting smoking, or improving your tennis game.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,436,689 times
Quote:
Let's examine your assertion. It's all about "decisions" and "choices", right? Conscious decisions and choices. Informed people make wise decisions. It's a choice - based on a decision. I want to make sure I understand that.

The boy on the left does not know the correct things to eat.
The boy on the right is conscious of his daily calories. When he is offered any treats, the first question he asks himself is "Will my pants feel tighter on me if I eat this?" He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left makes unwise choices: He chooses cookies, brownies, ice cream, crackers, pizza, fried chicken, and butter.
The boy on the right wisely chooses and measures out 1/2 melon, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 6 ounces lean chicken, 2 cups lettuce, 6 ounces of skim milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, one slice of whole wheat bread with no butter, and light dressing. His snack is a measured 4 ounces of apple sauce and one slice of cheese. On weekends he may splurge and eat two strawberries. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left watches TV and video games
The boy on the right uses his stop watch to get 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on most days of the week. He measures his heart rate too. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left looks at a bowl of cookies and eats nine of them
The boy on the right looks at a bowl of cookies and walks away, realizing they will make him overweight. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left chews his food one time and then swallows.
The boy on the right chews his food 17 times then swallows because he knows it takes 20 minutes for his stomach to feel full. He has learned to make wise choices.

I am not sure what your point is.

The boy on the left has parents who have no idea how to feed a child properly. He is too young to buy groceries and cook meals. Someone else is baking the brownies and buying the cookies. Take those away, give him healthy choices and control how much he eats. Do not buy video games, turn off the TV, and take him outside and play with him.

If the boy on the right were my child, I'd be trying to get him to eat more --- and offering him healthy choices. He is old enough to be making choices on his own.

One should not make assumptions. I did. I assumed we were talking about adults who want to lose weight.

Telling someone he needs to use "will power" is counterproductive. It implies that the person is weak, "powerless."

Helping someone learn there is a process that will facilitate change gives him the power to do it.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,090,715 times
Quote:

In a nut shell? Yes.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
In a nut shell? Yes.
So genetics is out the window?

"In a series of studies on twins, researchers found that the likelihood of becoming fat is estimated to be between 65 and 75 percent if you have a family history of obesity. (For comparison, the genetic risk for breast cancer is about 45 percent.)

Researchers found that when identical twins were placed in separate adoptive homes, the twins’ bodies looked more like each other’s and those of their biological parents than the bodies of their adoptive parents — the homes in which they were raised."

from

What Causes Overweight Children: Genetics or Environment? - For Dummies

Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,090,715 times
Quote:
So genetics is out the window?

"In a series of studies on twins, researchers found that the likelihood of becoming fat is estimated to be between 65 and 75 percent if you have a family history of obesity. (For comparison, the genetic risk for breast cancer is about 45 percent.)

Researchers found that when identical twins were placed in separate adoptive homes, the twins’ bodies looked more like each other’s and those of their biological parents than the bodies of their adoptive parents — the homes in which they were raised."

from

What Causes Overweight Children: Genetics or Environment? - For Dummies

No, of course not. But I can tell you the majority of obese ppl I come in contact with (I work in the medical field) genetics isn't the cause of their obesity. Their unhealthy food choices and lifestyle is why they are the way they are. There is a very small percent of obese ppl that are obese because of actual medical conditions...most of them are fat because they can't and won't stop eating.

We aren't talking about children here, we are talking about adults who have control over their bodies and what they shove in their pie holes...children are at the mercy of their parents and nothing makes me more irate than to see an obese child with an obese mother who continues to feed that child fast food, fried food and just plain junk.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, of course not. But I can tell you the majority of obese ppl I come in contact with (I work in the medical field) genetics isn't the cause of their obesity. Their unhealthy food choices and lifestyle is why they are the way they are. There is a very small percent of obese ppl that are obese because of actual medical conditions...most of them are fat because they can't and won't stop eating.

We aren't talking about children here, we are talking about adults who have control over their bodies and what they shove in their pie holes...children are at the mercy of their parents and nothing makes me more irate than to see an obese child with an obese mother who continues to feed that child fast food, fried food and just plain junk.
A lot of the reason the overeat is due to genetics. Just like some people can have two beers with no problem and some people just-can't-stop drinking it's like eating. Most naturally thin people get full after an amount of calories that doesn't make them obese. Obese people don't get that same level of satisfaction until the eat so much they get gain and gain and gain weight. And, the choices thin people make aren't that much different - they still eat junk, just not as much.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,848,697 times
A lot of the reason the "due to genetics" malarchy is malarchy, is because adults are capable of knowing that there's a genetic predisposition, and are capable of adapting to their dietary needs, vs. their dietary desires.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will continue to eat more than I know I should, knowing full well that I'm very likely to become obese as a result, because I know it runs in the family."

vs.

"I know I'm prone to being obese, so I will be more cognizant of my eating habits and watch for trouble-spots in my diet. I will be more aware, and more responsible, in consuming things I like, because I know full well that I'm very likely to become obese if I don't, because I know it runs in the family."

It's called taking responsibility for yourself and your choices. If you KNOW it runs in the family, then you KNOW you need to be more careful than the average Joe whose siblings, parents, aunts and uncles are all obese. If you choose to ignore the fact that only your Uncle Jim is slim, and your mom's sister's entire family is suffering from diabetes and your mom is obese can has constant knee problems - then you are choosing not to take responsibility for your own choices.

Not
Rocket
Science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss