Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM

525 posts, read 761,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT??!!

You are wrong. Period.

No, YOU have NOT looked at the literature. I HAVE. And for 6 YEARS by the way.

MUCH UNCERTAINTY exists with obesity. Body weight regulation is not well understood. Even feeding behavior itself is poorly understood.

YOU do not speak from ANY type of science. YOU speak from BELIEF. Look up the literature. There are *some* knowns.

You will not your unfoudned position because you are a BELIEVER. Believers have a DEEP SEATED NEED to BELIEVE. ACTUAL EVIDENCE contradicts your pre existsting, unfounded ASSUMPTIONS about obesity.

OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE exists that body weight is INVOLUNTARILY REGULATED by an extremely complex feedback loop controlled by neural circuitry and that obesity is as GENETIC as height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Ask thin person which he'd rather have $1M or to be thin the rest of his life. I contend 99% would take the money.

Ask someone who has been "fighting the battle" all his life and I'd bet over 80% would take being thin. It's that much of a battle. It's that much of a driver of unhappiness and depression. We have evidence of this with all the resources spent on the obese's desire to be thin. Billions spent. There must be a driver. If it was as simple (as you imply) as "Making wise eating decisions", as if it is the equivalent of "flipping a switch", we wouldn't have the industry out there trying to get people thin.
I would rather stay thin than have $1M because I value my health over money. I've tried gaining weight before (I am naturally thin and don't like the appearance) and my blood pressure increased to over 145/80 (along with higher than suitable blood sugar) compared with 96/60 before. I'll stay thin thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Even feeding behavior itself is poorly understood.
Feeding behavior may be poorly understood, but you cannot ignore it. Behavior can be changed. No matter what the genetic component of obesity is, eating less and exercising more will cause weight loss.

Again, look at Prader-Willi syndrome.

It is definitely genetic. Check.

It definitely produces abnormal feeding behavior, probably due to a defect in centers of the hypothalamus that control hunger and/or feelings of satiation. Check.

It definitely results in obesity. Check.

But weight can be controlled by limiting access to food. That means locking the cupboards and refrigerator. Friends and neighbors have to know they cannot give food to someone with Prader-Willi. The compulsion to eat is uncontrollable. In this case, the behavior cannot be changed.

With Prader-Willi, the obesity is due to a genetically determined compulsion to eat. But weight can be controlled with diet.

http://www.pwsausa.org/pdf/weight.pdf

I am still waiting for a link to an obesity researcher who states that reducing food intake and execising will not cause weight loss.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
This is an animal study, but it's interesting nevertheless.

Is obesity irreversible? Timing is key in weight loss

Quote:
A novel animal model showed that the longer mice remained overweight, the more "irreversible" obesity became, according to the new study that appeared online ahead of print Oct.24 in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.
Snip.

Quote:
"Our model demonstrates that obesity is in part a self-perpetuating disorder and the results further emphasize the importance of early intervention in childhood to try to prevent the condition whose effects can last a lifetime," says senior author Malcolm J. Low, M.D., Ph.D., professor of molecular and integrative physiology and internal medicine.

"Our new animal model will be useful in pinpointing the reasons why most adults find it exceedingly difficult to maintain meaningful weight loss from dieting and exercise alone."
Snip.

Quote:
One of the major strengths of the research was a new model of obesity-programmed mice that allowed weight loss success to be tracked at different stages and ages by flipping a genetic switch that controls hunger.

Turning on the switch right after weaning prevented the mice from overeating and ever becoming obese. Similarly, mice that remained at a healthy weight into young adulthood by strict dieting alone were able to maintain normal weight without dieting after turning on the switch. However, chronically overfed mice with the earliest onset of obesity never completely returned to normal weight after flipping the switch, despite marked reduction in food intake and increased activity.
I know the OP is long gone but this study may shed some light on why it is so difficult for some people to keep the weight off.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM

467 posts, read 664,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
No, YOU have NOT looked at the literature. I HAVE. And for 6 YEARS by the way.

MUCH UNCERTAINTY exists with obesity. Body weight regulation is not well understood. Even feeding behavior itself is poorly understood.

YOU do not speak from ANY type of science. YOU speak from BELIEF. Look up the literature. There are *some* knowns.

You will not your unfoudned position because you are a BELIEVER. Believers have a DEEP SEATED NEED to BELIEVE. ACTUAL EVIDENCE contradicts your pre existsting, unfounded ASSUMPTIONS about obesity.

OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE exists that body weight is INVOLUNTARILY REGULATED by an extremely complex feedback loop controlled by neural circuitry and that obesity is as GENETIC as height.

Yesssss, genetics. As in, my parents were skinny and I am inclined to be thin also.... with only the slightest effort.

People with fat genes have to work at it, and are never as thin as someone with thin genetics, generally speaking. Just look at some of the Hollywood people who have lost weight but aren't truly thin. Why can't they lose more weight? All the calorie counting and exercise isn't going to make much difference.

What ALL people need to learn is what has kept them from being able to consistently eat less which has to do with FOOD CHOICES. If you can't control what you eat, you won't be able to control how much you eat, and no amount of exercise will make any difference.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I know the OP is long gone but this study may shed some light on why it is so difficult for some people to keep the weight off.
It may be more difficult for some to lose and maintain the loss. That doe not mean it cannot be done.

From your study:

"The two notable parameters associated with weight loss after the induction of hypothalamic Pomc were reduction in food consumption and normalization of locomotor activity."

The mice ate less and moved more after the genetic defect was corrected.

The full article:

JCI - Obesity-programmed mice are rescued by early genetic intervention

Humans have the ability to change behavior. Mice do not.

The study gives insight into the genetic contributions of obesity. It does not prove that someone who with a genetic propensity to be heavier must always be heavier.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Feeding behavior may be poorly understood, but you cannot ignore it. Behavior can be changed. No matter what the genetic component of obesity is, eating less and exercising more will cause weight loss.

Again, look at Prader-Willi syndrome.

It definitely produces abnormal feeding behavior, probably due to a defect in centers of the hypothalamus that control hunger and/or feelings of satiation. Check.

But weight can be controlled by limiting access to food. That means locking the cupboards and refrigerator. Friends and neighbors have to know they cannot give food to someone with Prader-Willi. The compulsion to eat is uncontrollable. In this case, the behavior cannot be changed.

With Prader-Willi, the obesity is due to a genetically determined compulsion to eat. But weight can be controlled with diet.

I am still waiting for a link to an obesity researcher who states that reducing food intake and execising will not cause weight loss.
I named them for you MANY times. Voluntary factors will ONLY affect a narrow range. We all can be about 5 to 10 pounds less, BUT THAT'S IT. After that eat less and move more does NOT solve obesity AT ALL.

Very smal weight loss and short term at that.

5 to 10 pounds less is NOT solving obesity. AGAIN, I GAVE YOU THE RESEARCHERS' NAMES MANY TIMES,. THESE ARE THE VERY BEST IN THE FIELD.

EVEN BARIATRIC SURGERY LEAVES POEPLE OBESE. AVERAGE BMI IS 32 WITH ONLY 800 CLAORIES A DAY. THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU HOW COMPLEX OBESITY IS.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
feeding behavior may be poorly understood, but you cannot ignore it. Behavior can be changed. No matter what the genetic component of obesity is, eating less and exercising more will cause weight loss.

Again, look at prader-willi syndrome.

But weight can be controlled by limiting access to food. That means locking the cupboards and refrigerator. Friends and neighbors have to know they cannot give food to someone with prader-willi. The compulsion to eat is uncontrollable. In this case, the behavior cannot be changed.

With prader-willi, the obesity is due to a genetically determined compulsion to eat. But weight can be controlled with diet.

i am still waiting for a link to an obesity researcher who states that reducing food intake and execising will not cause weight loss.
Obesity is not about "behavior". The behavioral hypothesis of obesity has very little to no evidence behind it.

Eat less move more has NOT worked for obese people in well done studies. Losing 10 pounds is greta for health BUT DOES NOT AT ALL CURE OBESITY. Voluntary factors are EXTREMELY LIMITED and can only account for SOME weight.

ALL KNOWLEDGEABLE OBESITY RESEARCHERS WILL ACKNOWLEDGE THAT EAT LESS, MOVE MORE IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO OBESITY. AT ALL.

OBESITY SOLUTIONS DEMAND A SCIENTIFIC APPROACH.

Hundreds of international samples of monozygotic twins reared apart were carefully studied and compared. DESPITE LIVING IN VERY DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENTS AND LIVING VERY DIFFERENT LIFESTYLES: THE TWINS LOOKED ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE THEIR OTHER TWIN- EVEN BODY FAT WAS DISTRIBUTED THE SAME.

YOU ARE NOT WELL VERSED ON THIS. BIOLOGY AND GENES ARE THE BIGEEST FACTORS IN WHY OUR WEIGHT DIFFERS. SCIENCE HAS SHOWN THIS REPEATEDLY.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It may be more difficult for some to lose and maintain the loss. That doe not mean it cannot be done.

From your study:

"The two notable parameters associated with weight loss after the induction of hypothalamic Pomc were reduction in food consumption and normalization of locomotor activity."

The mice ate less and moved more after the genetic defect was corrected.

The full article:

JCI - Obesity-programmed mice are rescued by early genetic intervention

Humans have the ability to change behavior. Mice do not.

The study gives insight into the genetic contributions of obesity. It does not prove that someone who with a genetic propensity to be heavier must always be heavier.
It DOES mean it cannmot be done for over 98 % of the obese population. Only 1% or less succeed long term. Just because a contortionist can be SO ungodly flexible does not mean that their flexibility is achievable by over 98% of the population.

The PROBLEM is with "eat less, move more" It is a FLAWED METHOD based on a TERRIBLE understanding of obesity

Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM

The SCIENTIFIC APPROACH to treating obesity is as follows:

*Define molecular components of the pathways that regulate bodyweight

*Define molecular defects in abnormal states/obesity

*Identify effects of environmental factors on these pathways: hormones, diet, lifestyle, other.

*Develelop rational therapies

Until we COMPLETELY DITCH the (scientifically unfounded and unsupported)belief based nostrum to simply "eat less and move more" , we will NEVER make progress treating obesity. We need to accept modern 21st century advances in medical science.

A MUCH DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF THIS CHRONIC DISEASE OF OBESITY IS NEEDED.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articles/PMC3064240/reload=0;jsessionid=l5jQvv9vwok6cbISkZFM.4

We are NOWHERE NEAR a cure for obesity. SUE NEEDS AN EDUCATION. DROP YOUR ASSUMPTIONS, SUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss