Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,005,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Your memory is lacking.

I said the 48080 was not as desirable (as showcased by realtors who list 81 and 82 as "North Shores") in large part because the Lakeview and Lakeshore school districts are better than South Lake. I didn't disappear, several others confirmed what I said and there was no need to go further with it.

My point about St. Clair Shores is the same point you are making about Harper Woods - only you got all defensive and accused me of being racist and having a negative attitude towards Detroit. Neither or which are anywhere close to being true.

There is nothing wrong with the 48080 zip code. I don't understand what point you are trying to make? By several others do you mean one, and the fact that the OP moved to the 48080 zip code regardless of what you said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
How the hell can it take 50 minutes to get to Troy? I can make it to Auburn Hills in under 50 minutes. Anyone who takes 59 to get to Troy is just insane.
Quote:
I can make it to Oakland Mall in 15 minutes. It's really not hard. 3 miles on 75, 7-8 miles on 696, 4 miles on 94. How the hell does it take you longer?
From Gaylord?

Really Scolls, just where do you really live? On the Detroit forums you say you live in Harper woods, and make it sound like you drive the area every day right now. In other parts of the Michigan forum you ***** and moan about living in Gaylord. Just where do you hang your hat at night?

Quote:
I literally live 2 blocks from Grosse Pointe Woods. I also live in the Grosse Pointe school district
Quote:
I live about 3-4 blocks west of Mack and you can't even tell where Grosse Pointe Woods ends and Harper Woods begins.
Quote:
Huh? I never dissed St Clair Shores and I'm like 4 blocks from Detroit.
Quote:
Well I live in Gaylord and people come from Alpena to Gaylord for amenities.
Oh, now I see. This post clears it all up. You USED to live in Harper Woods for a whopping 7 months.
Quote:
Well I had lived in Harper Woods from February till September till my company relocated me to Gaylord.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
From Gaylord?

Really Scolls, just where do you really live? On the Detroit forums you say you live in Harper woods, and make it sound like you drive the area every day right now. In other parts of the Michigan forum you ***** and moan about living in Gaylord. Just where do you hang your hat at night?

Oh, now I see. This post clears it all up. You USED to live in Harper Woods for a whopping 7 months.

My fiance still lives in Harper Woods. I commute down to Harper Woods on weekends (like today) and come back to Gaylord for the week to work. I never sold my house in Harper Woods. My fiance got a job at St. Johns and I'm waiting till she gets settled in and receives her health care benefits before I leave my job in Gaylord. So to answer your question, I hang my hat in Gaylord and Harper Woods.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Also my drivers license is listed as Harper Woods, do I need ID to post here? I also have a 313 phone number and utility bills in my name at the Harper Woods address, do I need to post those for address verification?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM

15 posts, read 39,881 times
Quote:
Also what does median household income have to do with anything?
Is that really a serious question? I had response all written up but it occurs to me that conversing with some folks is a total waste of time. You probably know the type. They have a house here, they have a house there. Any thing some one else does they do faster or better. Every time I see or hear some one like that I just can't help but wonder if they licked the frozen windows in the winter on the way to school in the short bus.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
Is that really a serious question? I had response all written up but it occurs to me that conversing with some folks is a total waste of time. You probably know the type. They have a house here, they have a house there. Any thing some one else does they do faster or better. Every time I see or hear some one like that I just can't help but wonder if they licked the frozen windows in the winter on the way to school in the short bus.

By all means type a response. I'm dying to hear it. What does the median income have to do with anything here? Really what if the OP doesn't pull down 80k a year? Harper Woods is at 48k a year which is state average. I just don't understand how median income plays a roll. Please enlighten us since you apparently know more than the rest of us.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
What does the median income have to do with anything here? Really what if the OP doesn't pull down 80k a year? Harper Woods is at 48k a year which is state average.
As much as I enjoy busting your chops elsewhere for your posts, I have to agree with you on this point. I've lived in neighborhoods where one person is LOADED and a couple houses down the household is struggling to put food on the table. I've lived in areas where the average income is way above the state average and it was a suck place to live; another place the average income was below the poverty line and it was a great neighborhood, safe, well kept, friendly, etc....

Median income isn't that reliable of an indicator as to a neighborhoods safety or attitude.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 PM

57 posts, read 245,128 times
Quote:
If you look at Harper Woods, look east of 94. It's basically Grosse Pointe Woods except houses are half the price because the address says Harper Woods and not Gross Pointe. Plus you are in Grosse Pointe school district. Only difference between the two is Harper Woods has a lot more blacks or what the people on this forum refer to as an undesirable population.
Not all of HW east of 94 is in the GP school district. I'm not discounting HW, but I do want to make sure the OP knows the boundaries are a bit more defined than that.

I can recommend the Pointes, though. Definitely give them a shot!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 39,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Median income isn't that reliable of an indicator as to a neighborhoods safety or attitude.

Just for the record nothing I posted has any thing to do with "attitude". If that were a factor we could have a fun conversation about the greater "pointes" all on it's own.
Median income is a refection of the area in question and for those not from an area and shopping via the net it gives you a snap shot of the community. Is the area Blue collar or White?
Higher median incomes mean larger homes with a higher value. Higher home values= a higher tax base. A higher tax base = better services.
Better services generally equate to less crime. You can see that plain as day when you compare these two areas.
No it's not an absolute. Few things are but it's certainly a very good indicator.
For the OP if you are considering Troy I have seen protest signs in the area about a 28% tax hike that you may want to consider.

Last edited by Duckfat; 02-03-2010 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM

205 posts, read 654,356 times
Wasn't there just a carjacking in Harper Woods on the east side of 94?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit