Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM

80 posts, read 312,954 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks everybody for all the great info. It certainly seems like there are some great options. We've done some research on cost of living, crime rates, taxes and home costs, and unfortunately only eliminated a few places. Like Coldjensens mentions, next item to research is schools, and I expect that will help us start narrowing the field. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 PM

93,812 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Wow, thanks everybody for all the great info. It certainly seems like there are some great options. We've done some research on cost of living, crime rates, taxes and home costs, and unfortunately only eliminated a few places. Like Coldjensens mentions, next item to research is schools, and I expect that will help us start narrowing the field. Thanks again!
Check here: Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM

This is an excellent site! It's very easy to find great info, thanks for posting!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:31 PM

So, based on all your suggestions, I've eliminated some based on crime rate, school ratings, and commute time. Here is the remaining list, which I think it probably small enough to move forward into real estate searching.

Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township
Franklin
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Huntington Woods
Rochester
Rochester Hills
Troy

I would certainly be interested in any first-hand accounts or testimonials on these areas, as a nice supplement to what's already been provided.
Thanks all!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,008,719 times
Quote:
So, based on all your suggestions, I've eliminated some based on crime rate, school ratings, and commute time. Here is the remaining list, which I think it probably small enough to move forward into real estate searching.

Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township
Franklin
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Huntington Woods
Rochester
Rochester Hills
Troy

I would certainly be interested in any first-hand accounts or testimonials on these areas, as a nice supplement to what's already been provided.
Thanks all!

If you eliminated Harper Woods based on the crime rates, I suggest you visit city hall. They can provide you with detailed crime information. Violent crime is fairly low, and the majority of the property crime happens at Eastland Mall. If you stay east of 94, you are basically Grosse Pointe Woods. You can't even tell when you cross over into Harper Woods. You are also in Grosse Pointe school district. The advantage of that part of Harper Woods is the homes cost half the price. If Grosse Pointe Woods is on your list, I see no reason to rule out Harper Woods. I moved into Harper Woods in February of 2009. Have not had a single problem. The neighbors have been very friendly, they keep up their homes very well, i see kids and people walking their dogs constantly in the neighborhood without fear of being attacked. Grosse Pointe Woods is also nice, but when I decided to purchase, I realized I could get Grosse Pointe Woods at half the price. I would have no problem raising a family here. If schools are top priority, stay east of 94.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 39,936 times
Quote:

Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township
Franklin
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Shores
Grosse Pointe Woods
Huntington Woods
Rochester
Rochester Hills
Troy

Thanks all!

I'm not sure who posted the Grosse point area is 15 minutes from Troy but they must fly their own helicopter to work! LOL
Sorry but that's not happnin even if you drive 90 and there's zero traffic.
I didn't see a price point on the homes you are looking at which is a very key piece of info given the VERY high end areas you have listed. You may want to check median home prices. Because of the tax base in relation to the services you get I would suggest you focus just East of Troy in Macomb county. Rochester for example only has a volunatary fire department and has like one cop except for the Oakland county sherrif's that patrol the area. There is fairly Low crime in all of these areas but in the event of fire or an emergency it's some thing you may want to consider. Compare that to Shelby Township that has a dedicated fire and police department. The NW corner of shelby from 25 mile to 26 mile and from dequinder to Mound is every bit as nice (in not nicer) than many of the far more costly areas on your list. I would avoid Washington Township. While it is a beautiful area the tax base is off the hook and it's next to impossible to sell a home there. Troy is a great area and has been voted one of the best places to live so depending on your needs (home price? Schools? Services etc) I would start there and Shelby Township. These two areas are very close to each other.
The top 9 places on your list will all be a much longer drive due to traffic congestion and distance.
Sterling Heights and Utica are both nice as well but lack the cachet of the other areas on your list, of course that will be reflected in the average home cost.
Hope this helps. I live in this area so if you have more specific questions we might be able to help further.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
I'm not sure who posted the Grosse point area is 15 minutes from Troy but they must fly their own helicopter to work! LOL
I didn't see a price point on the homes you are looking at which is a very key piece of info given the VERY high end areas you have listed. You may want to check median home prices. Because of the tax base in relation to the services you get I would suggest you focus just East of Troy in Macomb county. Rochester for example only has a volunatary fire department and has like one cop except for the Oakland county sherrif's that patrol the area. There is fairly Low crime in all of these areas but in the event of fire or an emergency it's some thing you may want to consider. Compare that to Shelby Township that has a dedicated fire and police department. The NW corner of shelby from 25 mile to 26 mile and from dequinder to Mound is every bit as nice (in not nicer) than many of the far more costly areas on your list. I would avoid Washington Township. While it is a beautiful area the tax base is off the hook and it's next to impossible to sell a home there. Troy is a great area and has been voted one of the best places to live so depending on your needs (home price? Schools? Services etc) I would start there and Shelby Township. These two areas are very close to each other.
The top 9 places on your list will all be a much longer drive due to traffic congestion and distance.
Sterling Heights and Utica are both nice as well but lack the cachet of the other areas on your list, of course that will be reflected in the average home cost.
Hope this helps. I live in this area so if you have more specific questions we might be able to help further.

94>696>75>Troy. If it takes you longer than 20 minutes you are a horrible driver. Even mapquest says it should only take you 20 some minutes.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,457,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
Yep, it's almost certainly 30+ miles, 25 miles just counting the highway portions. You would have to average 120mph to make it in 15 minutes. Since there will be stretches of local roads on both sides and ramps to negotiate between highways, you would probably have to do at least 180mph on the highway portions to average 120 for the trip. Anyone have a death wish and a Lamborghini handy?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Yep, it's almost certainly 30+ miles, 25 miles just counting the highway portions. You would have to average 120mph to make it in 15 minutes. Since there will be stretches of local roads on both sides and ramps to negotiate between highways, you would probably have to do at least 180mph on the highway portions to average 120 for the trip. Anyone have a death wish and a Lamborghini handy?

It's actually under 30 miles and at 65 MPH on the freeway is less than 30 minutes. You people must be horrible drivers. I guess Detroit really does need a rail system.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,457,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
It's actually under 30 miles and at 65 MPH on the freeway is less than 30 minutes. You people must be horrible drivers. I guess Detroit really does need a rail system.
Not horrible drivers, we just can't defy the laws of physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit