Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM

47 posts, read 228,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I will be moving to Detroit soon and I am wanting some input. I will be working in Downtown Detroit and was wondering if it's a safe area. Are there any good apartments to live in Downtown Detroit? I don't want to give too much away, but I will be working about 5 - 10 minutes walking distance from Comerica Park.

Can any of you suggest any good apartments in Downtown Detroit? My only requirement is that IT MUST INCLUDE parking as well as a washer and dryer in the apartment. Price is not a concern.

If Downtown Detroit is not that safe then can you recommend a good suburb close by? I'm wanting it to be about 15 - 20 minutes from Downtown Detroit. It must have good stores such as Macy's.

I'm 29, single, no kids and would love to go to places for entertainment. I'm into rock concerts and a huge baseball fan. Most important of all I want to live in a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,401 times
Detroit City Apartments is good, it's about a 10 minute walk from Comerica Park. Or if price really isn't an option, I've heard the Lofts of Merchant Row are really nice and have seen great pictures of them. Also, the Buhl building just underwent a huge renovation and is supposed to be really nice now. And the Kales building is nice as well from what I've heard.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
You can reserve units for Broderick Tower. It's currently being renovated and the units will be open in September. It's right across the park from Comerica Park. Most of the upper floors are already reserved though.

Broderick Tower

Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,492,575 times
I second Broderick Tower. Otherwise, try Lofts at Merchant's Row.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 24,785 times
Personally, if I were single I still would not live in downtown Detroit. I know you'd like something close to work, but I think you'd be better off in the suburbs. Yes there are pockets of Detroit that are fairly safe, but as a whole the crime is bad, the city services are horrible, grocery stores and shopping are lacking, and financially the city is a mess. If you want a safe suburb that has great shopping (Somerset Mall) and restaurants, I would recommend Troy. You will have to deal with traffic driving to Detroit, but to me it would be worth it.

Last edited by runner-guy; 05-30-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
At your age and status, the best options are downtown or midtown, Royal Oak Ferndale or Ann Arbor.

Dowtown is relatively safe (very safe compared to much of the rest of Detroit), but it is still the downtown of a major US city.

If safety is absolutely parmount, you should try out of the way or secluded places (Grosse Ile comes to mind, there are also many rural areas also have much less crime that populated areas, but they have little or no police patrols or other services). However none of these places are fun or exciting. They are quiet out of the wya places, that is why crime is so low.

If shopping is critical, then Detroit is not for you. For shopping Troy or Novi are probably your best bets.

None of those places are within 15-20 minutes of downtown. Grosse Pointe is probably the only nice place within that range. Depending on the time of day an the location downtown, you may need ten minutes just to get to/from the freeway. That leaves you less than ten minutes on the freeway (you still need a few minutes to get form the freeway to the Apt). Thus, downtown or mid town may be the only decent places within your range. Grosse Pointe would be iffy in that amount of time, you can make it sometimes, sometimes not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit