Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,455,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I can make it to Oakland Mall in 15 minutes. It's really not hard. 3 miles on 75, 7-8 miles on 696, 4 miles on 94. How the hell does it take you longer?
You should sell your flux capacitor and create some jobs in MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,006,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
You should sell your flux capacitor and create some jobs in MI.

It's called an automobile. Michigan has already gone down that route before.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM

205 posts, read 654,689 times
Quote:
I can make it to Oakland Mall in 15 minutes. It's really not hard. 3 miles on 75, 7-8 miles on 696, 4 miles on 94. How the hell does it take you longer?
Is that during rush hour? I used to bowl at Astro Lanes on John R just south of 14 and it might take me only 20 minutes to get there on a sunday morning...but rush hour?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 39,915 times
Quote:
If you eliminated Harper Woods based on the crime rates, I suggest you visit city hall.
Or just go hang out by the mall for about five minutes on a Friday or Saturday evening.
Harper woods is half the price because it has a lot more in common with Detroit than the pointes. If you can't tell when you cross the boundry it's because your driving so darn fast.
I can almost hear the laughter from my partners suggesting that Harper Woods is almost the same as the Pointes at half the price.....LOL
If the OP can afford to look at property in Birmingham, Rochester Hills or the Pointes they certainly are not going to find their happy place south of 8 mile by the freeway.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
Or just go hang out by the mall for about five minutes on a Friday or Saturday evening.
Harper woods is half the price because it has a lot more in common with Detroit than the pointes. If you can't tell when you cross the boundry it's because your driving so darn fast.
I can almost hear the laughter from my partners suggesting that Harper Woods is almost the same as the Pointes at half the price.....LOL
If the OP can afford to look at property in Birmingham, Rochester Hills or the Pointes they certainly are not going to find their happy place south of 8 mile by the freeway.

I take it you live in Harper Woods? Where in Harper Woods do you live?

I said it's the same as Grosse Pointe Woods. I literally live 2 blocks from Grosse Pointe Woods. I also live in the Grosse Pointe school district (Things in common with Grosse Pointe 1 Detroit 0)

It's fine. Ignorant people like yourself got me a house in a great neighborhood cheap.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM

15 posts, read 39,915 times
Quote:
I said it's the same as Grosse Pointe Woods.

Ummm Grosse Pointe woods is in the greater "pointes". Harper Woods is not. Period.
The property crime rate has risen in Harper Woods significantly every year since '04 and they average several rapes and a murder every year. While those numbers might seem small tell us again how big Harper Woods is? Oh yea, about 2.5 square miles.
Median household income....46k.
Grosse Pointe woods is roughly 50% larger and has an average of zero murders and zero rape. Harperwoods has an average of 200- 300% more aggravated assualts than Grosse Pointe Woods.
GPW averages 30 stolen vehicles annually Vs 300+ in Harper Woods.
Median Household income in the Woods...79K.
Yeaaaaaah. I see the comparison.
This is one time where I'm pleased as punch to say my "ignorance" really is bliss!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
Ummm Grosse Pointe woods is in the greater "pointes". Harper Woods is not. Period.
The property crime rate has risen in Harper Woods significantly every year since '04 and they average several rapes and a murder every year. While those numbers might seem small tell us again how big Harper Woods is? Oh yea, about 2.5 square miles.
Median household income....46k.
Grosse Pointe woods is roughly 50% larger and has an average of zero murders and zero rape. Harperwoods has an average of 200- 300% more aggravated assualts than Grosse Pointe Woods.
GPW averages 30 stolen vehicles annually Vs 300+ in Harper Woods.
Median Household income in the Woods...79K.
Yeaaaaaah. I see the comparison.
This is one time where I'm pleased as punch to say my "ignorance" really is bliss!
You obviously quit reading the post after the first sentence. Again I'll ask, what part of Harper Woods do you live in since you seem so knowledgeable of the city? I said stay east of 94. You can take a look at the crime report from the city police department and see all of the crime is concentrated east of Beaconsfield and around Eastland Mall. Are you telling me that if you were to take my house and move it literally 12 houses down on the street, the crime would drop off severely? My street runs right into Grosse Pointe Woods. I live about 3-4 blocks west of Mack and you can't even tell where Grosse Pointe Woods ends and Harper Woods begins.

Also what does median household income have to do with anything? The Grosse Pointes have some of the highest in the state.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Scolls is a hypocrite.

When I told someone St. Clair Shores is a great place to live, just look in the 48082 or 48081 zip codes - he accused me of being racist and dissing 48080 because its closer to Harper Woods and "undesirables" AKA blacks. However, everytime he recommends Harper Woods, he recommends EAST of 94. Why? Because its further from the crime and further from Detroit and all the "undesirables" AKA blacks.

CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER MUCH?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Scolls is a hypocrite.

When I told someone St. Clair Shores is a great place to live, just look in the 48082 or 48081 zip codes - he accused me of being racist and dissing 48080 because its closer to Harper Woods and "undesirables" AKA blacks. However, everytime he recommends Harper Woods, he recommends EAST of 94. Why? Because its further from the crime and further from Detroit and all the "undesirables" AKA blacks.

CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER MUCH?

Huh? I never dissed St Clair Shores and I'm like 4 blocks from Detroit. I suggest you learn the boundaries of the cities.

The only reason I recommend east of 94 is because Grosse Pointe schools are better than Harper Woods schools.

As I recall from that conversation, I asked you to prove the 48080 zip code had a worse crime rate and you disappeared.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Huh? I never dissed St Clair Shores and I'm like 4 blocks from Detroit. I suggest you learn the boundaries of the cities.

The only reason I recommend east of 94 is because Grosse Pointe schools are better than Harper Woods schools.

As I recall from that conversation, I asked you to prove the 48080 zip code had a worse crime rate and you disappeared.
Your memory is lacking.

I said the 48080 was not as desirable (as showcased by realtors who list 81 and 82 as "North Shores") in large part because the Lakeview and Lakeshore school districts are better than South Lake. I didn't disappear, several others confirmed what I said and there was no need to go further with it.

My point about St. Clair Shores is the same point you are making about Harper Woods - only you got all defensive and accused me of being racist and having a negative attitude towards Detroit. Neither or which are anywhere close to being true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit