Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies.
Weeelll whoopty-freakin' doo! I guess OKC just jumped ahead of Denver in line then.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Weeelll whoopty-freakin' doo! I guess OKC just jumped ahead of Denver in line then.
OMG!!!!! Are you Chris Farley???? LMAO!!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You people must be delusional or something. I lived 3 out of 4.5 years in Uptown and never experienced any of what you describe. Yes there were some beautiful old homes, but where are these unique, independent restaurants and shops located? I sure as hell never saw any in my neighborhood. I saw crappy little convenience stores on Colfax like the Family Cigarette Store, Logan Food Market, the $1.25 A Scoop Chinese restaurant, the sh*tty Pineapple Grill, or the even sh*ttier Bourbon Grill. Most of the local businesses in central Denver were super low class and bordered on being unsanitary. There were a few bright spots like Above The Rim or Independent Records, but not like most urban areas I've been to.
I guess you didn't notice 17th Ave? Or on Colfax, there are more restaurants than I have time to try. If you lived in Uptown and only noticed two locally owned restaurants, then you must not be a very visual person.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:
You people must be delusional or something. I lived 3 out of 4.5 years in Uptown and never experienced any of what you describe. Yes there were some beautiful old homes, but where are these unique, independent restaurants and shops located? I sure as hell never saw any in my neighborhood. I saw crappy little convenience stores on Colfax like the Family Cigarette Store, Logan Food Market, the $1.25 A Scoop Chinese restaurant, the sh*tty Pineapple Grill, or the even sh*ttier Bourbon Grill. Most of the local businesses in central Denver were super low class and bordered on being unsanitary. There were a few bright spots like Above The Rim or Independent Records, but not like most urban areas I've been to.
When I say independent I mean local...I live in Cherry Creek North-- both restaurants/shopping that make Millwaukee look like Compton..Walking distance to everything and the best of everything close....Yes there are alot
of more international, and big US chains here in my hood, but they are far from the midwest TGI FRIDAYS like Millwaukee...

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-24-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
JJ: You didn't see Williams Bar, or the small comedy venue next door, or the sometimes roudy gay bar on the corner, or up 17th, the Thin Man, the coffee shop next door, the Italian spot? None of those are chains. Then on Colfax, you have that bookstore on the corner of Grant, love that one BTW, next to that or close by was Red Room, closed now but open when you were here, then Play It Again records, much better than Independent IMHO.

These are all unique and independent IMHO and that's just going off the top of my head, I haven't lived there in about 5 yrs.

oh oh and you must have missed 13th/Grant area, with Wax Trax (yep, there are 3, including my beloved vinyl shop), the Snake Pit and FashioNation.

Here's a link in case you missed it. This is quite the independent shop.

FashioNation Store - VixensAndAngels.com (http://www.vixensandangels.com/Fashionation.cfm - broken link)
Is the Snake Pit still there? I remember hanging out there in my single days, which would have been 1996. There are so many restaurants on Colfax I wish I had time to check out.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
OMG!!!!! Are you Chris Farley???? LMAO!!!!!
Chris Farley, if he weighed what he shoulda weighed

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Poor guy, I loved him. Yep, Snake Pit is still open. I dropped in not too long ago on a Sat. evening. Felt a little old, but you gotta just do those things from time to time.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
OK...this must be said. What's your point here? Would you like us to continue beating ourselves up over a war that happened probably after any of our ancestors even came to this place? Should we just hand over those states to Mexico? Should we build a fence along the northern borders of those states and then tell all of the Mexican nationals that they can only live there? I for one am getting pretty sick of phrases like "unjust war" when it comes to the USA. Whether it's the Southwest, the Southern states talking about the "War of Northern Aggression" or what was done to the Native Americans. Can you name a country that hasn't treated people badly when they wanted their land? This is not an excuse for either side, but the fact remains that we have 50 official states here in this country. Whether we got them unjustly can be debated until you run out of breath. Before organizations like the United Nations came to be, there was very little debating, paperwork and handshakes when it came to land battles. It basically was "Big dog eats the little dog." In the case of the war with Mexico, the USA was the big dog.
The point was to correct the OP, who suggested that the SW was part of the Louisiana Purchase. I'm not suggesting that you feel guilty or that we do something drastic like build a fence. I just wanted to point out that there was major difference between the way Louisiana was purchased and the way the SW states were "purchased." To be as cliche as possible, "those who fail to learn the past are doomed to repeat them." Fortunately today, the U.S. **would never** invade another country with the intention of seizing their natural resources.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Fortunately today, the U.S. **would never** invade another country with the intention of seizing their natural resources.
For real??? You seriously think this? What do you think this whole stupid Iraq thing is about?? oh yeah, right, it's all in the name of "terror". Suuuurre.

(ok, that's all I'm saying on that, so as not to hijack--- start another thread somewhere else if you want to argue, I just couldn't let that one lay).

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
When I say independent I mean local...I live in Cherry Creek North-- both restaurants/shopping that make Millwaukee look like Compton..Walking distance to everything and the best of everything close....Yes there are alot
of more international, and big US chains here in my hood, but they are far from the midwest TGI FRIDAYS like Millwaukee...
OK... Whatever that means. The James Beard Foundation recently named Adam Siegel of Lake Park Bistro as the Best Chef in the Midwest. No Denver restaurants received awards in 2008. As far as shopping is concerned, I could honestly care less since I shop mainly at thrift stores, but we have the Mayfair Mall which easily rivals Cherry Creek Mall. We may not have Burberry or Louis Vuitton stores, but that is all available via a short trip by train or car to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver