Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

Hey! I don't lie. I tell it like it is. Denver is for some people and so not for others.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
We get it, Milwaukee is better than Denver, at everything. That's why I'm calling my travel agent right now and I'm going to tell them I'd love to go on vay-cay to Milwaukee! I better get the movers on the line as well, because it's going to be so great that I'm going to want to move there too.

I can't wait to hear my travel agent's response to that one.
I was pointing out that Denver doesn't have all that many Fortune 500 Companies. D-Town 720 was making the assertion that Denver was superior to Columbus, Memphis, Sacramento, and OKC based on the number of Fortune 500 each city had.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I was pointing out that Denver doesn't have all that many Fortune 500 Companies. D-Town 720 was making the assertion that Denver was superior to Columbus, Memphis, Sacramento, and OKC based on the number of Fortune 500 each city had.
Oh, I see.

Well, isn't Denver superior to CMH, MEM, SMF, and OKC anyway? Sheesh, I thought everybody knew that.

But, I'll give you one that Denver is not superior to:

Milwaukee!!!

Sorry, I'll stop now...back to our regularly scheduled troll....er...programming.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I agree David, I myself spent living four straight years less than 100 yards from the surf..I too have lived all over California, and my family still owns a property right on the Newport coast..so I get my beach fix frequently...I like it out there, but Colorado is my home,and is far from being some bastion of thugish,trashy,uneducated people like the OP has stated frequently in the past...I wonder what would happen if I started posting on the OC. threads repeatedly...telling the locals there how much I thought that place sucked? My guess pretty close to the Denver response on here...Every place has issues, but these ridiclous repeated attacks on Denver are wearing very thin to say the least....
We moved here from OC, and I quit going to the beach many years ago because the traffic/parking was impossible. When you see the ocean every day, eventually it becomes just part of the landscape and nothing that exciting.

Oh, and over on the OC thread, they do a pretty good job of trashing the place on their own

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
The weather? That's the best you can do? It was 59°F on February 10, not too shabby for Milwaukee.

I keep coming on the Denver forum for 2 reasons:
1. You guys are just more into it than the CD'ers in WI. I get bored rehashing the same thread topics in the WI forum.
2. Nobody gives realistic depictions of Denver. If you guys didn't out-and-out lie to people searching for information on relocation, I wouldn't feel compelled to offer a different point of view.
The weather IS a big deal to many people. I love Chicago and Minneapolis, but I'd never live in either city because I'd kill myself the first winter after days and days of sub freezing weather. At least in Denver, you get plenty of warm days where I can get out and enjoy the sun. Then you get muggy, buggy summers in those cities, which I also can't stand.

I never bashed Milwaukee, and I have no reason to. I haven't been there enough to get picky about it, but it seemed nice enough.

Yeah, we all have monthly meetings to get our Denver talking points and lies straight to lure suckers to our fine city. You caught us.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, we all have monthly meetings to get our Denver talking points and lies straight to lure suckers to our fine city. You caught us.
My impression with these boards is that locals do more discouraging and bubble-bursting than not when it comes to people inquiring about moving to Colorado.

On another note: I do not miss muggy, buggy summers!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
My impression with these boards is that locals do more discouraging and bubble-bursting than not when it comes to people inquiring about moving to Colorado.
And for good reason as people keep coming with totally overreaching dreams and dillusions as to what it is here. And since you have hardly posted, I can only assume you really haven't been here (this forum) long, as you obviously have missed the pages and pages of advice that me amongst several other regulars give to people inquiring about Denver.

DenverAztec has personally helped people move here.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When you see the ocean every day, eventually it becomes just part of the landscape and nothing that exciting.
oh wow you just described me and the mountains and scenery here.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
You people must be delusional or something. I lived 3 out of 4.5 years in Uptown and never experienced any of what you describe. Yes there were some beautiful old homes, but where are these unique, independent restaurants and shops located? I sure as hell never saw any in my neighborhood. I saw crappy little convenience stores on Colfax like the Family Cigarette Store, Logan Food Market, the $1.25 A Scoop Chinese restaurant, the sh*tty Pineapple Grill, or the even sh*ttier Bourbon Grill. Most of the local businesses in central Denver were super low class and bordered on being unsanitary. There were a few bright spots like Above The Rim or Independent Records, but not like most urban areas I've been to.
Seems like a lot of unique stuff to me:

East Colfax photo tour

Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Denver only has 6 Fortune 500 Companies. Columbus has 9, Memphis has 8, Oklahoma City has 3, and Sacramento only has 1. Denver isn't exactly light years ahead of these cities by any measure. My city, Milwaukee, has 10 Fortune 500 Companies.
You have to look at the total metro area when looking at the economy, # of Fortune 500 companies, etc. Looking at only the municipality of Denver is dumb. On Fortune's website I see 10 Denver metro area Fortune 500s for 2008:

State Rank Company Fortune 1000 rank Revenues
($ millions) City
1 Qwest Communications 187 13,778.0 Denver
2 DISH Network 240 11,090.4 Englewood
3 Liberty Media 275 9,482.0 Englewood
4 Liberty Global 292 9,003.3 Englewood
5 First Data 315 8,051.4 Greenwood Village
6 Ball 336 7,389.7 Broomfield
7 ProLogis 387 6,216.8 Denver
8 Molson Coors Brewing 392 6,190.6 Denver
9 Newmont Mining 430 5,645.0 Denver
10 Western Union 473 4,900.2 Englewood

In 2007 there were 13 on that list, some of those companies have moved down the ranking to Fortune 1000's since then. All those companies shown as "Englewood" aren't even in Englewood, but actually in the Denver Tech Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver